North Cyprus Tourist Board - Have been evicted, need advice
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Have been evicted, need advice

Have been evicted, need advice

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

princessjhno

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 02:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 57 in Discussion

Please help..... We rented an apartment through Unwins. We paid 1 month rent plus 1 month deposit/bond. This was in October. We had to fly back to the UK due to extensive damage (burst pipes) to our NON insured house. We tried to raise the rent for dec and jan for the apartment, but to avail. We were evicted 6 days ago (whilst we are in the UK) and our belongings taken to unwins H/O. I have been emailed and told that we can get our belongings back ONLY if we pay the arrears AND bills, cleaning, lock changes etc (we left it spotless btw). We are not in a position to lay this money out but are frantic that our belongings are goin to be disposed of by "17th Feb". Our copy of the rent agreement is with our belongings! NO mention has been made with regard to the 2 months deposit they hold! PLEASE HELP..... Can personal belongings be witheld if monies are owed???

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 02:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 57 in Discussion

At the end of the day you enter into a contract the landlord is responsible to provide you with a safe liveable property and to keep it maintained to a decent standard.

You sign a contract it is your responsibility to look after the apartment and to pay your rent on time. As far as the landlord is concerned you have paid no rent for 2 months and i guess no utilities??? At the end of the day your issues in the UK are not the concern of the Landlord and it takes a brave man/woman to own an un insured house.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 02:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 57 in Discussion

Going only on what you have posted; first sentence you say one month's deposit, lower down - "2 months deposit". You don't say how long you were in UK (one assumes you kept Unwin's apprised every other day via e.mail and/or 'phone call of your situation) BUT if you were away for two months (Dec and Jan) did you pay November rent? Why should anyone keep a rental empty of a rentor yet occupied with a rentors belongings yet no rent? let alone it would appear - unpaid utilities? elec and water and maintenance no doubt? One would question why you didn't rent out your UK house plus - no-one in UK could deal with the burst pipes on your behalf? It takes two months? Hindsight is wonderful - but left it uninsured????????? No doubt no heating left on timer, the snow burst the pipes - it happened to a neighbour of mine at my last house - she was insured as was I (thank heavens) as the water seeped through the terraced house walls and cost thousands for both houses to be dried out and

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 02:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 57 in Discussion

re-decorated. Put yourself in the Landlord's position (just seen someone else has said the same). At the moment we are in the middle of resolving problems with our tenant in Girne - paying when she feels like it - and never answering her 'phone when we ring, and when we do get her - coming up with ever more fanciful excuses as to why she is so tardy in her payment. Fortunately we have friends who have sorted the problem. If there are two of you - one should go back to Cyprus immediately, leaving the other in UK - both situations require your presence and leaving it - will only exacerbate matters. Communication is THE most important thing, putting your head in the sand achieves nothing. You must have been solvent enough to leave an empty - unrented (what if you were burgled? I find it unbelievable no-one was checking the house in your absence) house in UK, yet taken on rental in Cyprus - are you both (one of you at least) employed? There is a lot of unknowns for us to say more....

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 03:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 57 in Discussion

Mrs Garnet,

You are so right you rarely get the whole truth in any story. I find as a landlord when people get behind with the rent they go to ground don't answer their phone or reply to e-mails. Agents then e-mail you to say tenants having paid and the apartment is not being used.

What do we do??? hope they return or get in touch

princessjhno

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 04:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 57 in Discussion

Steve....I assume that unwins have not told you that I communicated throughout this "ordeal". Our situation in the uk has been a devastating ordeal for us. I am aware that we owe you the rent and are in agreement that we were evicted. However, keeping our belongings (that were gifts from my partners mum, who passed away SUDDENLY not 9 months ago) is atrocious .... We paid £550 deposit ... Owe £550 in rent ??? I have already agreed with unwins that we would be happy to pay the utilities (can borrow this amount from family) and cleaning costs (I left the apartment immaculate btw). I didn't, as suggested by mrs garrett, ignore communication, I have been on constant communication with the agent re: updating them. I clearly do not expect you Steve to be out of pocket, just think it's disgusting that our clothes and personal belongings be "disposed of" if we don't pay. Steve, I suggest you email me if you want all the facts, not just wot Karen feeds you

princessjhno

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 04:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 57 in Discussion

Steve, wouldn't it just be easier for you to pop round for a brew, and we pay you for the lock change, cleaning, water and electric (I have the bills here)... We are in marton (hawes side lane)

Email us at coleenm71@hotmail.com

Ta

kavenkoy

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 07:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 57 in Discussion

trying to read and follow this thread

princess did you rent from blackpool fan ?

kav

PierMan

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 08:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 57 in Discussion

Regardless of what is written in the contract the law here is on the side of the tenant, and it is completely illegal to enter an apartment, remove someones personal belongings and change the locks when they have an agreement to rent the apartment....even if they are behind on the rent. The police have always stood firmly on the side of the tenant and require an eviction notice from the court in the first instance, either handed directly to the tenant or a notice posted in a newspaper that covers the area that are currently staying....we have lernt this through painful experience, and whilst we do not necessarily agree it with it, it is clear that the agent was heavy handed and it seems, from one side of the story any way, acted outside of the law.

Rogerdodger

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 57 in Discussion

Good old unwins, no change there then

dalartokat

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 09:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 57 in Discussion

Why would anyone now go to NC without the backup of funds for at least 6 months rent and reading your previou posts it looks as though you were relying on getting jobs once you were there. ?Why did you need a cat sitter between December and January?

I don't agree that someones belongings should be held and threatened with disposal but did you ever think any of it through before you went to NC.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 57 in Discussion

I tend to go along with message 11, I do not mean to be man to be disrespectful, but when coming to a new country, one of the most important things is to have sufficient funding.

Again I do not mean to be rude, but just pointing out facts, but if you haven't made it in the UK, then you will have a very slim chance here.

I suppose the Landlord is useing the only lever he has to recoup the money. Other wise I am sure they feel that will have very little chance to do so.

nannycyprus

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 57 in Discussion

Well I, for one think it is OUTRAGEOUS that you have had all your belongings seized and kept until you 'hand over' the monies owed! I agree with Pierman. This situation should have been handled through the correct procedures in this situation and as 'Estate Agents', I am sure Unwins are well aware of this.

Meanwhile, it appears that your personal belongings have been taken without your consent which is generally known as theft..isn't it ?

Have you informed the police?

sienna

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 12:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 57 in Discussion

but then again arrears is arrears pay up whats due and get your belongings back - simples ! there is nothing free in this life

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 57 in Discussion

In earlier posting did you not ask for someone to look after your cat 6th Dec to 6th Jan? so you knew you were going to be away!

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 13:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 57 in Discussion

Two things here. The original poster has been in a spot of bother, but very naive to come to a new country and not have sufficient funds or a new job already in place. Just plain silly, but how many of us have never made a mistake?

Then there's the honouring the rent. You make an agreement, you keep to it. I've nearly been thrown out because I was renting through Sabena Coulter. More than £2,000 I paid in rent was never passed on and I've lost my deposit. North Cyprus eh? It's a real bitch for most.

But, and this is the killer for me. Unwins, with their reputation - taking commissions on home sales for Gary Robb and Alpan Uz, to name but, two, paying rubbish wages at their school and the whole way they appear to go about business - should not have seized your belongings. At least without a court order. Find out if they got one. If not, go to the police and claim theft.

I understand the problems that Steve faces, but the law is the law. Even in North Cyprus.

magolina

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 57 in Discussion

whilst I am sorry for the situation that these guys are in it did all seem to happen so quick, what I want to know is how come it took me two years to get my tenant out and she never paid ANYTHING court order as well I am still waiting for my money and she has gone to ground???????

nurseawful

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 57 in Discussion

Magolina,

Name and shame and this will prevent the same happening to some other poor soul. Why should you or anyone else loose out money on your investment

Chris

princessjhno

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 16:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 57 in Discussion

Thank you all for your advice. We did have enough money to move to NC, but with a limited budget. Hence our very quiet life there (not going out etc), however our house in the UK (being let/sale by an agent) was left uninsured (very silly by us) and the damage caused by the frost caused immense damage and we have been stranded here and having to rely on family for financial assistance. I did have a very reliable looking after our cats in NC,and because of our non-return she has been told to stay away or she would be tresspassing. The agent also disclosed ALL our matters to this lady!! My partners mum passed away in march and the move over to NC was to try and start again but with all this he is distraught as his belongings includes gifts that his mum got him shortly before she passed away VERY suddenly.

Like I said before we paid 2 months deposit £550 and we owe £550 rent which only leaves ££ for cleaning, lock change and utilities, however they won't release our belongings until....

princessjhno

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 16:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 57 in Discussion

ALL arrears are paid :( on top of that, we borrowed yet more money, booked a flight for my partner to collect our belongings, only to be told after that that we had to pay arrears first ,,, he didn't take the flight £280 wasted.

No there has been no mention of a court order!

We are absolutely distraught :( :( :(

princessjhno

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 16:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 57 in Discussion

And yes I did kavenkoy !

elko2

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 17:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 57 in Discussion

My sympathy is with the landlord and the estate agent here. Putting that aside, the legal situation is this:

a) If the place is licensed as a hostel or the like for short term lease, they have a "lien" right just like the hotels i.e. they have the right to hold your property until the debt is paid.

b) If the place is not licensed as mentioned above, the landlord or the agents acting for the landlord has no right to break in without a court order. Even if they have a spare key as provided for in the contract, the situation is the same. In such cases the police will act quickly if the tenant lodges a complaint with them.

ismet

spider

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 17:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 57 in Discussion

How much money is BlackpoolFan stating you owe to date, for the return of your belongings, You said you just started renting in Oct,and went home in Dec. So were you only in the place about two months ? and in those two months did you pay your bill ?

Spider,X

Meerkat

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 17:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 57 in Discussion

Unwins were wrong to have gone into the property breaking an entry & taking your personal belongings. The tenant in Northern Cyprus have rights & they have broken laws here which protect the tenant. You need to return asap. I would seek professional help & go to the police & explain what has happened to you.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 17:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 57 in Discussion

1 : Is it all true what we read in this thread?

2 : Is this the way to solve a problem, princessjhno (msg 1)? Asking advice from C44 members who won't do a thing for you - except writing (free of obligations!) worthless and only nosey Nelly remarks (excluding Ismet).

spider

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 17:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 57 in Discussion

Hans you are so very wrong..If they are prepared to give them back their property and they need a place to store this until they return I for one am happy to store their belonging if this is of any hep;

Spider,X

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 18:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 57 in Discussion

RE msg 26, spider: (...) If... and they need a place to store this until they return (...)

▶ If, if, if. Not exactly the problem from mag 1, I think.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 57 in Discussion

Typo: mag = msg

Bradus

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 18:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 57 in Discussion

There are two types of fools (and this is so true in the TRNC) Those that pay before goods have been handed over and those that don't pay upon receipt of those goods.

You agreed to pay monthly rent and did not abide by your agreement. You cannot grumble when "the boot is on the other foot"

However why not pay all dues and then everyone can move on.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 57 in Discussion

Not knowing it was Blackpoolfan you owed rent to - you can rest assured I had no agenda in relating what I did - Blackpoolfan and I don't know each other........I didn't say you didn't communicate, but (bearing in mind the position WE as landlords have found ourselves in re: our Girne apartment) I TOTALLY sympathise when expecting rent, having done everything by the book (contract/Agent et cetera) to find the tenant then becomes a law unto herself is very stressful. For a couple of your years, I am astonished at how naieve and unprepared you appear - we ALL make mistakes in life, but not to have someone going into your house at LEAST every two days (or even allowing a trusted friend or advertising for a house-sitter to live there-rent free) plus leaving a property uninsured - well - words fail me. Why wasn't the ticket used? Why book before knowing it would achieve results? Did you try to sell it on? Change the dates? Unwin's cannot dispose of your property - as it is, I would

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 57 in Discussion

ensure the world and his wife know of their nefarious actions - take legal advice yourselves - and raise a loan somehow to settle your debts, and in future, think once, twice and then three times - before you make life changing decisions - find out about the bigger picture........It is always better to see someone in person (Unwins) and let them know you will take action, if any of your property is damaged. I feel sure they had no right to enter the property you were renting - rental paid or not - there is protocol and they know it.......DO take advice, and take it now.....tempus fugit - carpe diem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dalartokat

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 57 in Discussion

If someone chooses to come on this board and ask for advice that is their perogative as a member of this board. As adults, and one assumes that we all are, its for that person to make a decision as to whether they take that advice. If someone like Ismet , or anyone else who wishes to comes forward to clarify any advice given, then thats the end of the matter and the original poster goes away to think about that advice and their choice to do whatever they deem fit to do with that advice.

I do not believe anyone on this board would deliberately go out of their way to lead anyone "up the garden path" when that/those person(s) is/are in a situation like the original poster finds themselves in. Any input to any thread can only be from that persons experience and we all know that this can change from day to day, so what advice I would give could be different the next day. Of course when Ismet comes to the board we all take his advice because of his background......continued

dalartokat

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 57 in Discussion

....continued...as has been said before in the past on this board if you don't like don't read, take a deep breath and move on.

dalartokat

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 57 in Discussion

Sorry, thought I was going to get in before anyone else posted, if you havn't guessed my post is aimed at message 25.

magolina

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 57 in Discussion

The names of my non paying tenants are Sema and Rifat Cagatay her kimlik number is 116275.

PLEASE BE WARNED they are very crafty lying bastards, never paid water, electric nor rent in two years even with a solicitor on the case.

If any one knows where thay are (check your agreements ) please please let me know and warn others I still want to find them.

thanks guys

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 57 in Discussion

Those names sound very familiar!

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 21:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 57 in Discussion

Thank-you to all those that have posted comments, you are all of course entitled to your opinions though i wonder if some of those comments would differ if you were the property owner????

At the end of the day as a landlord i am duty bound to pay my taxes and provide a safe homely environment for the tenant. To maintain and deal with any problems without delay.

The tenants responsibility is simple to look after the apartment and pay the rent, dead easy really. As they say there are always two sides to a story when someone is behind with the rent and un-contactable what do you do???? The ironic thing is that the tenant lives 5 miles away from me in the uk so hopefully matters can be bought to a satisfactory conclusion for all concerned.

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 57 in Discussion

Message 25,

DC, up most respect for your post sir to the point and correct.

Thank-You

spider

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 21:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 57 in Discussion

That good new Blackpoolfan Hope you can all come to some agreement over a nice drink

Spider,X

nurseawful

Message Posted:
23/01/2011 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 57 in Discussion

Message 38 I can only agree with your comments made by DC in message 25. Well said Hans, very eloquently put.

Chris

princessjhno

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 00:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 57 in Discussion

Hi Steve ... All we want is to pay our dues and retrieve our belongings. I have been advised that what unwins have done is theft. We need to meet up?? Please ring us on 07716235580.

I realise that our predicament has opened a can of worms, but please know that we never intentioned to skip payments, we love the apartment, we are so sad but at the end of the day we had to think of our house in the UK first.

All I want is for unwins to utilise our deposit against the rent owed so that Steve isn't out of pocket (and that is what the deposit SHOULD be used for), then all we owe is the utility bills (not a problem Steve) and get our belongings back. But bear in mind that the agent from unwins has also decided to divuldge our situation to other ppl - so much for confidentiality !!!!

Ring us Steve

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 57 in Discussion

Message 41

I have sent you an e-mail

princessjhno

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 57 in Discussion

Hi Steve, just checked, not got it!!

princessjhno

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 00:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 57 in Discussion

coleenm71@hotmail.com

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 57 in Discussion

I have to say, Unwin's, in light of what I am reading, have acted most unprofessionally - one doesn't threaten to throw a person's property away - if necessary, charge storage (though I don't believe they legally had right of entry) nor should they divulge any of the situation to anyone other than Blackpoolfan. As Blackpoolfan's Agents, they should be acting in concert with him - not acting in such a cavalier fashion. I hope this situation comes to a swift resolution that suits all parties. As the couple concerned have been offered free storage from a kind person, Unwins should be instructed to take all the property to that address forthwith - another reason why one of the couple should go to Cyprus sooner rather than later, to check nothing is missing or damaged - if anything is - personally I would wipe the floor with Unwins.

magolina

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 14:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 57 in Discussion

Kaiserphil do you think you know where they might be ??????

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 16:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 57 in Discussion

No, but someone else was looking for them a while ago. Could it have been Kirk (gates) of bracey builders, he was after a couple, not sure if it was them.

I know where they should be!

MarkVPiazza

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 16:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 57 in Discussion

How was residency obtained with no money?

Troll Alert?

butterfly1

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 20:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 57 in Discussion

hi you owe the petsitter too. No mension of that in your post princess????

butterfly1

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 20:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 57 in Discussion

I see no mension of the first communication between tenent and agent of princess full intentions of not returning to north cyprus.After which it became an abbandoned appartment,which then gave unwins the right to enter the property and remove un wanted items in which the landlord should be fully aware of.

fosterscan

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 57 in Discussion

princess and blackpool talking now maybe the thread needs close in now

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 21:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 57 in Discussion

The truth will out.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 22:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 57 in Discussion

Princessjhno & Blackpoolfan

Have you sorted out your problems?

If so then this thread will be closed.

princessjhno

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 22:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 57 in Discussion

Yes, please close the thread, and thank you to everyone, particularly Islam

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 57 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

Stonehousepub

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 57 in Discussion

Most landlords rely on rental income in order to survive. If you have broken your contract then you unfortunately risk losing your deposit.

Put yourselves in the landlords position

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
24/01/2011 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 57 in Discussion

AJ,

Please close the thread, dirty washing should never be laundered in public let alone a bulletin board. My hope is, and has always been to bring this matter to a satisfactory conclusion for both parties

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.