North Cyprus Tourist Board - a question for ex pats and non cypriots buying in the kktc
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > a question for ex pats and non cypriots buying in the kktc

a question for ex pats and non cypriots buying in the kktc

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 71 in Discussion

hi all

some of you may not like some of my postings ,but they are my beliefs and i stand by them,however you will never find me attacking anyone unless i am being attacked ,and i will certainly never attack anyones leaders past or present. it has come too light that some brits living in the kktc have nothing nice to say about the kktc or its people ,my question is why if some of you feel

this way you then choose to live here ,why do

you not go back to your own countries or some place else ,

the world is your oyster .i live in london ,but i love the place and its people if i didn,t i would leave.

the answer is simple if you choose to answer it.

my reasons for asking this question stems from another thread regarding lesbians in the kktc .

musin

long live the kktc

joandjelly

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 19:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 71 in Discussion

Hi Musin

First of all, I love it here. I have been coming here since 1996 and always knew that one day I would like to settle here. To answer your question from personal experience of a number of people with the attitude you are talking about, the reason they do not go back is because they have burnt their bridges and cannot now afford to go back. I believe the only reason they came here was because the prices were cheap. They are now stuck and instead of making the best of living in a wonderful country with lovely people and great food, they do nothing but moan.

Jo

Turtle

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 71 in Discussion

Musin

I am struggling to accept the comment that British people living in TRNC have nothing nice to say about the TRNC ?

They may have an opinion on certain things but you may be refering to certain people who post crap just to gain a reaction.

You sound like a passionate person on this subject and quite right...... its your country and you will defend it to the end.

I for one am a Brit and constantly criticise the UK and its barmy way of life at the moment but thats my right, I live here pay my massive taxes and deserve better services than I actually get.

My opinion is most people who post on this site are genuine Brits who love the TRNC (warts and all) and are happy to keep posting positive comments however as we have seen over the last few weeks a lot of regular posters have stopped using this site because of abuse and bullying from certain people.

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 71 in Discussion

turtle

in no way i am condemning every brit thats not my intention what i am trying to establish is how some can post with such venom towards the turkish and still

live in their coutry,why don,t they just leave.

musin

long live the kktc

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 71 in Discussion

Hi Musin - I agree 100% with joandjelly. We have been coming to the TRNC since 1991 and now have a holiday home there. We have seen many changes over the years, some good and some maybe not so good. However, it makes me sick to read some of the postings on here and other boards with people forever moaning and complaining about one thing or another. I'm sure that quite of lot of those people are those who, when they bought a few years ago and were living the life of Riley due to the cheap cost of living were bragging and calling everyone else idiots because they had not done the same. However, now that the cost of living has increased so much (as it has done everywhere, not just in TRNC) they seem to think they have been "robbed". As joeandjully say, why not enjoy what they have and sto;p whinging. I also think quite a few of the ex-pats may be surprised at the cost of living in the UK - it's gone through the roof. I very much admire your patriotism - pity there aren't a few more like you in "disappearing" Britain.

coffer

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 71 in Discussion

Generally its great here, the lifestyle, people, climate. I admit I get annoyed when people try to rip me off but I accept its part of the game. The government leaves a lot to be desired for a multitude of reasons but again I chose to live here warts and all. I mix with quite a few Cypriots and they feel the same as me about things in general. That doesn't mean we all want to leave to go back to the UK or somewhere else in the world. I am happy to stay for the moment and when I'm not, your quite right, I'll exercise my freedom to leave!

Long live democracy .........

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 71 in Discussion

hi paul

i must say i have never looked at it from that angle and it seems it answers some questions ,maybe only one thing matters to these people," self importance"

something they are not getting anymore in north cyprus.

regards musin

Turtle

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 71 in Discussion

You'r probably right Musin...........when they are not getting what they want everybody else is to blame.

karakum5c

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 20:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 71 in Discussion

For every 100 people, 1 will always moan about something, the other 99 will sit back in silence and get depressed listening to all the 1s out there spreading their negative vibes.

wynyardman

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 71 in Discussion

Musim, Hattikins Tiggy,

As I said on many occaisions on this board, before this board became infested with people banned from other boards.

Be on good terms with all persons, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their stories.!

or

Take the advise of MarkVPiazza,....... Dont feed the trolls!...........When will they ever learn?

wyn

Hector

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 71 in Discussion

Whilst I respect Musin M's opinion, I disagree with the sweeping generalisation theme of whinging brits. Unfortunately a great many Brits have genuine cause to complain. Would he accept the direct TRNC government racism aimed at none TC's being applied by the government in the UK?

andre 514

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 71 in Discussion

musin,

think it is a wonderful place with a unique set of people

but problems repeatedly cropping up on '44

firstly in any accessible forum

there are always a number of 'stirrers, if you get my drift:

either because they are angry and have a grudge...

or they lost out in some way due to lack of foreknowledge

secondly there are indeed serious issues in the trnc

eg inflation, recession and administrative problems

but the percentage complaining is relatively small

even though they make the loudest noise

for home-buyers there are many difficulties and dangers

perhaps even more than in other meditterranean countries

but the vast majority are thrilled to bits I can assure you

what bothers me is how long the easy-going tc's

can continue to tolerate us lot of whingeing foreigners!

andre

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 22:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 71 in Discussion

MSG 5 - the wicks.

I think you have that one spot on - my term for them is The Raj, because they behave like they would have served well in India in that period.

There is another group though who took the advice of the Raj when things started to take a turn for the worse. They never thought about the potential consequences in buying during "a boom time" in a country that we all admit has a third world economy.

Yes there are some with genuine complaints, but they are a minority of the total population of TRNC. The rest just did not do any or enough research into living life away from the comfy UK.

Personally I have the ocasional gripe on here and will sit over a few Efes and indulge in that great British past time - gossip and moaning. Then we get back to reality and keep trying to resolve the issues we have over our home.

I am sure there are a few like us that wish we had the trivia of problems of some who come on this BB moaning as Musin says. I quote in precis form from an esteemed resident here who has had major problems - it is best to pay out a few extra shillings than to get embroiled in a war with locals you cannot win.

Musin M, I do not know why you choose to live in UK, probably financial, this is a great country to live in overall you just have to get rid of the government, lawyers, estate agents, builders......!!! Oh that does not sound good!!!!! LOLOL

TRNC Forever.

ukturk

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 71 in Discussion

hi there

i agree many foreigners (not just brits) have cause for complaint, but whats the excuse for the rest!!!! lol

hector belive you me its not trnc governments rascism aimed at foreingers, you want to come over to turkey and the system how it operates towards non turks, you have to apply for a resi visa which costs around £400 a year but you cant work with this (work visa costs £2-3k a year), but you can own a buisness but not work there, when buying a house you have to go thru all checks and wait 2-3 months for permission which in the mean time it cud be sold 3-4 times over, u can only buy a car if you have a resi visa and once you have the car the reg plate states you are a foreigner aswell not being allowed to have telephone line and internet

Hector

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 71 in Discussion

ukturk

Good grief! Friendly lot in Turkey. Perhaps we should adopt same in UK. I feel a letter to David Cameron coming on....

MUSIN M

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 23:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 71 in Discussion

david

i live in london as a consequence of the greeks ,our parents decided it was not safe for us to live in cyprus and brought us to england in the sixties ,the rest is history ,however i have bought a place in bahceli and like everyone else is still waiting for it to be finished and only god knows when i will get a kocan ,this however does not bother me.

financially touch wood i,m fine ,it,s our boys they all have partners and one has a child and we can,t bear to leave them ,so we have decided to have two homes britain and cyprus.

the longer you stay in one place the deeper the roots.

regards musin

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 23:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 71 in Discussion

Musin and ukturk.

The problem with Brits and Brit Expats is that they apply double standards.

I am proud to be a resident of the TRNC. I am in awe of what Attaturk achieved with Turkey to bring it into the 21st century. You are both right to be proud of your heritage. I only wish that the people of my country of birth had the same feelings of nationalism as you guys have. I feel humble living alongside TC's that have suffered greatly during the conflict. For me it is embarrassing to admit to anyone that I was born in the UK.

Long live the KKTC

AJ

Hector

Message Posted:
13/09/2008 23:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 71 in Discussion

I was born in the UK. I am British and very proud of that fact as anyone else should be. I am disappointed to hear anyone being 'embarrassed' at being born in the UK. There are very many souls worldwide who desperately wish they could say the same or have the many benefits of UK citizenship.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 71 in Discussion

Hector

I was born into a country that has effectively buggered up every other country it has colonized including Cyprus. Are you proud of that?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 71 in Discussion

'There are very many souls worldwide who desperately wish they could say the same or have the many benefits of UK citizenship.'

Have you not read the papers? they already have.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 71 in Discussion

Musin

I too have two homes, in the UK and TRNC. When in the UK I am British. When I am in the TRNC, I am a guest.

Thank you for your hospitality. I love the place, I think its great and its people are too.

Well on you mate.

Lem

wynyardman

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 71 in Discussion

I wholly agree with The Wicks.

wyn

hattikins

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 71 in Discussion

Lemtich,

My thoughts exactly

Hattikins

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 01:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 71 in Discussion

A J

You have it right, half the planet was colonised by the Uk at one stage, the best bit being those that are happy outweigh the ones that the French, Germans etc formely colonised!!

That said, the people of Cyprus and several others were destroyed by the way the UK government decided to carve them up?

Right now there is a small minded group who are happy to say - "yes you are right" without making poitive contributions.

Right now I think we would be best served by a divided Cyprus, that way I may not loose my home!!!!! Otherwise................................

fire starter

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 71 in Discussion

musin,

i think that most of us agree that we do like living here. the problem is that the ways of life here is sometimes hard to take. our tc friend who returned to live here after living in the uk for fourty years is actually moaning worse than any brit here. he is finding it very hard to adjust to the way things are run here.

another point is that in the uk you have the same rights as any brit there. here that is not the case for brits.

we live in a tc village so most of our friends are tc's. we often see things differently from others because we get the tc view of things as well.

i don't always agree with your posts, but i do respect you for what you believe. in a democracy it is everyones right to have a freedom of speech. moaning or not!

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 71 in Discussion

You also have to understand that this BB is a way for people who have had problems to vent their frustrations... People don't tend to write if things go as they'd expect... which is a shame as it gives an imbalance.

Read the letters page of any UK paper and you'll get the same impression.

Groucho

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 71 in Discussion

There are of course a lot of mischief makers too...

People who hide behind their anonymity to make unfounded accusations against people they percieve as having something they either jealous of, or have heard a rumour about..

9 times out of 10 these rumours appear to originate out the fug of conspicuous alcohol consumption and do not have any basis in fact.

"A bloke told me that......" so it must be true!

Troodo

Message Posted:
14/09/2008 09:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 71 in Discussion

How would you know whether many of these wingers actually live here fulltime?

Professional provocateurs love stirring up trouble – i.e. Eric and Susanne.

Troodo

Happy to live in the safe area.

canyavuz

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 20:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 71 in Discussion

MUSIN M

Im a Turkish Cypriot, but have to disagree with you there!

I have met many British expats in N.Cyprus and it's mostly good stuff.

They like the low crime, warm weathers and friendly people (the main three things always commented on by British expats!)......

They complain about petty things, such as the price of this and that, and the state of their roads, but they have every right to do this, they are also citizens and tax paying residents.......

Brits......we like you, dont worry!

The-Wicks

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 20:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 71 in Discussion

canyavuz you have brought back a post that started in September & until now also finished then. Perhaps you should have started your own post on the subject. One thing I had either missed or forgotten is message 22 I never thought I'd see that (lol).

P

newscoop

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 71 in Discussion

Magna Carta, the many French wars, the Armada, Waterloo, Trafalgar, two world wars, (mainly alone) Wolfe, Raleigh, Cook, Rhodes, Clive, Churchill, Darwin, Shakespeare, Milton, Blake, Brooke, Swift, Wilberforce, too many scientists and inventors to name, Beatles, Stones, Zeppelin et al, Golf, Tennis, Cricket, Rugby, Football, Le Carre, Seymour, McLean, Rankin, et al. True democracy as opposed to the pathetic Greek model, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, United States, South Africa, railways all over the third world, tons more things and most important of all the ENGLISH language.

So why exactly should anyone be embarrassed to be a Brit?

Yvonne

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 71 in Discussion

Musin,

I bought in NC (as I've said many times before), because of the climate, the friendly folk there (local and ex-pats), the landscape (untouched when compared to other countries), and of course the affordability.

I think perhaps that some folk have too much time to think, and y'know what they say: analysis is paralysis.

We all make choices; and we're responsible for our choices - so in essence, if you don't like, tough luck. Life isn't easy wherever you are, but I sure as hell would like to wake up to an overdraft, credit card bill etc with the sun shining through my curtains, than in this God forsaken climate, rip-off culture and where 'shopping' has become the new therapy.

Can't wait until I'm in a position to live permanently out there. It'll be a while... but I still hope.

Re Message 31:

???????????

joseph

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 71 in Discussion

Newscoop msg 31

Brought a smile and thats not half of it

Well said

Regards Joseph

Stubs

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 23:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 71 in Discussion

AJ

re msg 17

"For me it is embarrassing to admit to anyone that I was born in the UK."

Have you handed back your British passport then?

Stubs

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 23:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 71 in Discussion

Musin

To answer your original question.

Many Brits come out the TRNC having sold up to in the UK and bought a cheap house with what used to be a very cheap standard of living. Unfortunately many do not do their homework and expect UK standards for everything. There are some who have an expectation level which is far higher than the reality and hence the reason for their complaints.

The TRNC has many flaws however a lack of research does not uncover them until they are here or already committed in terms of buying a house.

karakum5c

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 23:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 71 in Discussion

Have been comming here since my son was a baby, love it so much i have a flat here and plan to retire here eventually.

Long live the KKTC

Fred8

Message Posted:
09/03/2009 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 71 in Discussion

It is all relative i.e. the flaws in the TRNC I moved out of the UK for reasons many on this forum have aired but to a different country which turned out to be evenworse. Also Having lived in several other countries the TRNC with all its flaws is so far the best to live in but human nature as it is does not prevent me from complaining of certain shortfalls

joseph

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 71 in Discussion

To be fair to AJ... he said he was embarassed... not ashamed...

big difference

Joseph

Stubs

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 71 in Discussion

is he embarassed to open his British passport then? ;-)

newscoop

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 71 in Discussion

Embarrassed; uneasy/self conscious

Ashamed; feelings of guilt/embarrassment/remorse

So the question remains

why should anyone born in Britain be embarrassed about it?

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 00:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 71 in Discussion

Message 17,

Give your passport back then plenty of people who would be glad of it. "Embarassed to be born in the uk" ......

Hippo

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 06:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 71 in Discussion

AJ has always been the same

To him the Brits are always to blame

Cucumber yogurt and olives you must eat

Dont your dare touch any of that Carafour meat

In the coffee shop everyday there he is

Sticking finding out about the village biz

He advocates all thats local

In fact on all boards he is quite vocal

His passport he needs no more

Its ok AJ the TC's are quing up for them by the score

North Kibris really is very nice

Sipping my G and T with lots of ice

scotsguy

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 11:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 71 in Discussion

Have to agree mostly with messages 2,5 & 9. Seems strange the boring, moaning, negative idiots who normally gripe constantly don't seem to want to comment on this thread, perhaps this is by far a too intelligent subject for their simple minds and selfishness.

Yes there are many expats who totally love the place (and get a bit shamed with other fellow countrymen decrying Cyprus), but these people are enjoying life out here and are living it to the full and very much unlike certain other people who appear to have nothing better than to spend all day on this board complaining, its very simple if you hate it that much here, then leave.

I have said this before, no one forced anyone to come here, we all made our minds up and I'm more than happy to be here. (yes there are some problems, but same everywhere else, you just have to learn to live with them).

Some people just need to find a life.

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 71 in Discussion

I agree with scotsguy.

Happy Hussar

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 12:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 71 in Discussion

This does'nt apply to me as I am a "happy chappie'. I can well understand that someone who has been cheated out of thousands of pounds of hard earned cash by Estate Agents, Con Men Contractors and Useless Advokats will want to 'Vent their Spleen' and one way to do it is on this BB. Long may it continue!

Tony

fire starter

Message Posted:
10/03/2009 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 71 in Discussion

where is musin?

anyone?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 71 in Discussion

re 24 CiH

Well done for posting what most "Northies" don't admit.. they need a no solution, solution ;(

PIPIE

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 71 in Discussion

I love visiting N/C i love Tatlisu the locals the area the food the climate , however , we have had bad experiences with a few people in the TRNC one , ex pat, one N/C bulder, and one n/c advocate , not bad considering all that live in TRNC ,just put our bad experience down to people wanting a fast buck , they groom trusting brits that pop up for a few weeks a year and then hope we go away , ready for them to rip the next trusting brits off .I just beleive what goes round comes round to speak

I still love my rural UK roots and feel i have the best of both worlds . We are happy chappies also .

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
11/03/2009 23:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 71 in Discussion

Stubs

'Have you handed back your British passport then?'

Unfortunately it is a European passport.

scotsguy

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 71 in Discussion

Message to Stubs

Can I ask you

Do you actually live here or in the UK?

griffin9870

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 16:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 71 in Discussion

Pipie

If you are such a happy chappie, why have you written what you have on other threads? Your other threads would suggest to me that you are not a happy chappie at all.

PIPIE

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 17:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 71 in Discussion

griffin 9870

Yes we have had a bad experience , but we do not let these people who i have mentioned put US off the lovely TRNC , these people who i have mentioned will get there dues no doubt about that , in the mean time we still enjoy the TRNC and all that i have mentioned in my post , looking for ward to our next visit to the TRNC and yes we are happy chappies

Stubs

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 71 in Discussion

That a no then AJ? ;-_

Stubs

Message Posted:
12/03/2009 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 71 in Discussion

Scotsguy

i lived there permanently for 4 years up until last year however we had to move back to the UK for family health reasons. We still own a place out there and visit quite frequently.

griffin9870

Message Posted:
13/03/2009 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 71 in Discussion

Pipie, I am glad that you have not been put off trnc. Do you live out in trnc? Or are you a frequent visitor? I personally love the trnc and we as a family are looking forward to living out here within the next 10 years, finaces allowing.

Stubs, I am sorry to here that you had to move back due to health reasons, I hope everything is ok now. Do you you think you will eventualy move back on a more permanent basis, or are you enjoying the besst of both worlds?

Does anyone have any advise to those who are thinking of moving out here?

Hector

Message Posted:
13/03/2009 18:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 56 of 71 in Discussion

If you are seriously thinking of moving to NC

1. Rent - don't buy a property until you are 110% sure of what you are doing

2. Don't expect to or need to work

3. Ensure you have a good income

4. Don't bring a car with you

5. Bring as much of your household goods and clothes as you can

6. Don't trust advocats, estate agents, builders or anyone else who says they can help you for a fee

7. It gets cold in winter

8. Seek mucho advice from the HBPG and forums

Thats your starter for 10, and plenty of conferring

gary-monger

Message Posted:
13/03/2009 18:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 57 of 71 in Discussion

hector, message 56 those are wise words. i wish'd i'd had someone like you advising me before i bought here.

PIPIE

Message Posted:
13/03/2009 22:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 58 of 71 in Discussion

Spot on Hector .

griffin9870

yes we are a frequent visitor , we have the best of both worlds Shropshire UK and TRNC .

halffull

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 00:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 59 of 71 in Discussion

Nice post, how many of those winging poms have bothered to intregate and learn Turkish? (cypriot turkish to boot!) Most winging poms expect the local populus to conform to their expectations and do not consider adapting to local conditions, (old collonial concepts!!)

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 00:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 60 of 71 in Discussion

Stubs

'That a no then AJ? ;-_'

If I had a choice and I had 2 separate passports then it would be a yes.

AJ

fire starter

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 18:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 61 of 71 in Discussion

halffull,

cok deli.

it could have been worse but i don't need the forum ban!

girne 29

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 62 of 71 in Discussion

AJ

"If I had a choice and I had 2 separate passports then it would be a yes. "

Why cant you take up TRNC citizenship and tear up your UK one, and why does one need two passports.

Like a lot of spoilt ex-pats who look down their noses at the UK and its citizens,I wonder if you are too "embarrassed" to fly home to the NHS should you require expensive treatment.(paid for by people who could only dream of a life in the sun).Or when you need evacuation due to civil unrest ,as did the ex-pats of Aden in 86.

The refrain of"if you want to whinge about Cyprus then go somewhere else" also applies to the UK. and if the sensibilities of the Cypriot people can be offended then so to can those of my friends and relatives in the UK.

Britain has a lot of faults, but stacks up well when compared to most in history.

chick

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 22:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 63 of 71 in Discussion

girne 29.

One terrific post good on yer

Hector

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 64 of 71 in Discussion

I'll second that!

Hector

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 22:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 65 of 71 in Discussion

I note with some bemusement the thread about TC's 'from abroad' not being allowed into casinos in NC and being advised to use their British passports to get in. I commented that they were obviously not too embarrassed to use their British passports.

Macha

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 66 of 71 in Discussion

fire starter: "it could have been worse but i don't need the forum ban!"

Hey, the old cooler ain't that bad. When I pay a visit I'm rarely alone!

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 67 of 71 in Discussion

girne 29

With regards to TRNC citizenship I am a temporary resident and can not achieve any permanency for another 4 years.

My present passport is a European Union and United Kingdom passport and if I could split it into two then I would be happy to retain the European Union part and hand back the UK part. I have been out of the UK for at least the last 25 years living and working around the world and have used the health care provided in various countries and will do so here in the TRNC so I feel no requirement to 'fly home to the NHS' even though the government has decided to take money from me in taxes and national insurance. And if I need 'evacuation' I have better places to go to than the UK. The UK has done nothing for me apart from rip me off.

AJ

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
14/03/2009 23:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 68 of 71 in Discussion

girne 29

'Like a lot of spoilt ex-pats who look down their noses at the UK'

Spoilt I am not, I have had to learn from the 'school of hard knocks' I have no qualifications because the UK education system failed me (long story) so I have had to educate myself. My education has been my work.

As for 'looking down my nose at the UK' well I guess you now understand where I am coming from.

AJ

girne 29

Message Posted:
15/03/2009 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 69 of 71 in Discussion

Now I indeed see where you are coming from.

You didnt do well in school ,

Get over it, it was a long time ago! Too long to be bitter agains all the UK is. Sounds like the excuse used by defense lawyers.

Friend who had no secondary education, but did well in contsruction ,no education to relative wealth ,cant be that bad a place.Guess you are a glass half full type of guy.

As for the NHS, we will see.Renal failure (in America with insurance you end up selling the house). ,cancer, heart,,check your insurance cover!!

Aquaintance of my wife ,soon as left Uni,worked in mid east and Korea for rest of life apart from a few years. No taxes for him to pay for others Uni education.When home, regailed us with how the country and everbody in was crap. 3 years ago ,heart operation, you guessed it ,back to the crap hole.

Dont understand , you left the UK, 25 years ago(uk passport till 1997!) but still paid taxes?.In my day it was ,I think,60 days in UK, before you paid taxes,

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
15/03/2009 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 70 of 71 in Discussion

Msg 59 before attempting to learn Turkish may I suggest you buy a dictionary and learn to spell correctly in English..

Macha

Message Posted:
15/03/2009 17:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 71 of 71 in Discussion

AJ: "I have no qualifications because the UK education system failed me (long story) so I have had to educate myself."

You can post the story in stages, if you like. I for one would be interested - and it may go a long way towards explaining things.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.