North Cyprus Tourist Board - I think I need the help of a solicitor, can anyone advise?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > I think I need the help of a solicitor, can anyone advise?

I think I need the help of a solicitor, can anyone advise?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

Pippie

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 11:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

I've mentioned this one here on this forum before and got my head ripped off (!) but I'm now at my wits end and need proper advice so I'm going to try again.

I am renting a shop. When I first signed up I went with the landlords secretary and my contract to the electricity board in Girne to register. My Turkish is limited and she did all the talking so I relied on her to get it right. I am in shop no. 2 which has a basement. The electric board registered me on Bodrum no. 2.

We've since discovered that the meter they're registered me for belong to rooms (one a washing machine room) used by the rest of the apartment block in the basement - that's why my bills were so high!

The electric board say I am actually shop no.3, (contract was wrong), tht I've got to settle the bill for the meter I'm registered on and pay another deposit then they'll transfer me to the right meter. That's not a problem (cont'd...)

Pippie

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

, although I feel sorry for the people who will be affected when their meter is cut off!

My landlord has been messing me about now for over 2 months. I want the 500tl I've paid against the wrong meter paying back to me. The meter I should have been paying to only has bills of 20tl. The electric board say they don't make refunds when there's been a mistake and they are blaming the landlord because he told them which meter numbers belonged to which shop or apartment.

I can't stop paying the electric cos then I'll be in debt. I've already paid rent on the shop by cheques and the bank say cheques can't be stopped in this country. So I don't know what do to. I was wondering whether a solicitor might be able to advise me, and if there's anything that can actually be done. Anyone know.

Do solicitors give you a free initial consultation here like they do in the UK?

elko2

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 13:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Pippie,

I am not aware of any solicitors here but there are lots of advocates and as far as I know most do consultations free of charge. You have to go and ask.

You certainly need the help of an advocate. Probably his/her advise to you will be to ask the electricity board to cut off the wrong supply and transfer the deposit to the correct account. You may have to pay all the outstanding debts and then you will have to sue the owner for the electricity you paid on their behalf.

ismet

Pippie

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks Ismet, that's what I thought you would say. I just want to be sure I can sue the owner, I'll speak to an advocate.

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

Pippie,

either ring or pop in to Sener Law firm, they're only just up the road from you. As you leave Karakum,from the Girne direction, they're opposit the garage which is on the left hand side. They are above the shops, there is a Temper bed shop there.

The phone number is 0392 816 0323/24.

Tell them they were recommended, it's always nice to know.

Good luck with your problem.

pinky2

Message Posted:
04/02/2011 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Pippie, you can always pop into S&A Advocates just opposite Lemar, they should be able to help you.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
04/02/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Don't go to Sener Law firm!!!!!

rayz1

Message Posted:
07/02/2011 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Who is the cheapest and most reliable advocate PTP etc

Hector

Message Posted:
07/02/2011 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

'cheapest' and 'reliable' are not words I would think of where advocates in NC are concerned.

Hector

Message Posted:
07/02/2011 21:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Be very aware that the cost of instructing an advocate and attempting to get your money back off the other tenants may well far outweigh the cost of the electricity owed. What has the landlord said about this situation bearing in mind it was the secretary that seems to have caused this in the first place?

I had a similar situation where the meter to my apartment had been wrongly assigned to another apartment which had full time family living there as opposed to my holiday visits. They were getting my bills and vice versa. I was able to get Kibtec to correct the bills but I didn't get any money out of the TC neighbour. It's worth checking that the meter number on your bill corresponds with what you think is your meter.

rayz1

Message Posted:
08/02/2011 01:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Does anyone know the name of the English solicitors who are in partnership with the TRNC solicitors

that were mentioned recently thanks

HildySmith

Message Posted:
08/02/2011 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

I went to H & a and received a written agreement of services provided and costs whicy may be incurred if I proceeded. Which I did and I have not been disappointed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.