North Cyprus Tourist Board - Need advice on how to fix
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Need advice on how to fix

Need advice on how to fix

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 17:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

I have been given a broken garden ornament. It is of a chinese lady and is quite tall. It is made of concret and is broken in two places. We had thought to drill and put in rods then using cement, glue together but am now worried it might shatter due to the stones in the cement. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix or know anyone who can fix it for me?

Thanks

benoppy

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

hi ya i wauder if you could drill a whole for a pole in both pieces but use a cement with pva in it as well. is it quite a chunky stem that you could drill into

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks benoppy, I did say that in my post but we are worried in case the drill catches on the small stones in the cement and then fractures the piece even more. I guess it might be a case of "all or nothing".

elkiton

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 18:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Hi, I am using fibreglass at the moment on a project and it sticks to everything like the proverbial to a blanket, the resin also makes a good very quick setting glue. One way would be to make up some resin and coat the broken surfaces then place them together, apply fibreglass tape in short pieces round the break over coating a couple of inches past the join, apply resin through the tape. when set, orbital sand the joint to abrade only the ridge at the edges, and paint the sculpture.

An alternative to drilling is to use the old carpenters trick of "tongues"..with a small angle grinder on the broken faces to cut a couple of slots on both, then cut a couple of pieces of metal sheet to fit the slots and araldite the lot together, it will then be strengthened. - If you can drill it, use a couple of 6 inch nails and araldite or similar resin.

tonye

mrjim

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 18:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

a building adhesive like gripfill or equivalent and also floor tile adhesive

basil

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 18:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

Epoxy - two part adhesive, often known as 'Araldite' in the UK.

It's in Atakara supermarket for about 4TL, and branded as 'Three ton'.

Mix it, spread it fairly thinly on one side of the break, put the other bit on, and after about half an hour it will be stronger than the concrete your chinese lady is made of.

laptagal

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 18:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

We fixed a large terracotta plant pot which had broken into 3 pieces with 'No More Nails'. Still fine 9 months on.

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
28/01/2011 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks folks, lots to ponder on there. One of them is sure to work.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/01/2011 08:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Set the two halves perfectly together and mark both halves at the join by using a felt pen > spread contact adhesive to both sides and allow to dry for 10 mins. > carefully bring the two halves together , making absolutely sure that the felt pen marker lines line up. Contact adhesive, available in small 4" approx. tubes [ 1 or 2 should be enough!] is available at most builders supply merchants - maybe even 'Mr. Pound'. If the statue/figurine isn't to be moved too often, this method should 'do the trick' without having to resort to any drilling. Alternatively, if you take the broken statue to one of these places that supply/make gravestones, they have marble/concrete glue [clear] - that will never let go in your lifetime! Hope this helps!

CarrieRBag

Message Posted:
29/01/2011 08:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks Tenakoutou

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.