North Cyprus Tourist Board - Looking at Spain or North Cyprus to retire your thoughts on this
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Looking at Spain or North Cyprus to retire your thoughts on this

Looking at Spain or North Cyprus to retire your thoughts on this

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

aussiejock

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 43 in Discussion

I have been looking at this forum for the past year or so, also been looking at a Spanish forum, But I keep coming back to North Cyprus, there is just something about the NC that catches my attention, I was over in Turkey for 8 months but never got the chance to come to the NC, toured Europe instead, in hindsight I should have visited when I had the chance but I was enjoying myself in Europe, and thought I would leave it till our next visit, a mistake on my part, do you think it's a more relaxed country, a place to chill out, and enjoy a retired life, Spain was great and not as expensive as I thought it would be, but there are a lot of immigrants from Africa and Romania who now roam the streets selling everything from Cigarettes, paintings, watches, and anything that's not tied down, this is not a problem in the NC is it, Greece was the same only worse, they would be on every corner, selling their goods, the police would confiscate the goods, but they would be back next day.

Robert

EsentepeGal

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 43 in Discussion

I've friends living in Javea who back up what you say, NO you wont find that here, there is a little crime but the Police clean up rates are fantastic, Dont Buy, rent first, see if you like it, YES it has its problems but what country doesn't?.

cronos

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 43 in Discussion

Robert....take just 3 words from EsentepeGal's reply and you'll be fine....

DON'T BUY, RENT.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 22:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 43 in Discussion

Message 2 and 3 I understand this, I would only rent, but it's such a shame that I can't buy with confidence in the NC, renting would be ok for a while, but it's not your own home, when you have your own house it's your castle, your bit of land, ( maybe not in the NC ) but most places in the world. something has to be done to fix this, or are they just keeping their heads in the sand, amazing that it's been going on for so long with no sign of improvement.

Robert

oceana

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 22:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 43 in Discussion

If you looking for peace, relaxation, and beauty, I think you should feel comfortable to come Cyprus. You wont find things like that in every corner here...

stilluvithere

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 22:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 43 in Discussion

I agree with the rent first, but when you have learned a bit about life here and decided where you would like to live, then buy. Be careful though, buy a resale and make sure all the paperwork is right, and the seller has the title deeds that way you should not encounter to many problems. Good luck

aussiejock

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 22:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 43 in Discussion

thanks again lads I just feel that the NC would be the better place to live, I just want to retire and do nothing, lazy walks, lazy drinking, and lazy restaurants and bars, just eat and drink when I want, no rush, as I'm now retired and can't be bothered with the fast pace,

Robert

mozgor

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Robert, I would totally agree with the rent first advice not because buying is a bad idea, but more from the point of view to give you time to decide if it's where you really want to be. TRNC is on the cusp of change at the moment and nobody really knows which was it's going to go. You could argue buy before the prices go up if reunification is imminent, but with that there is also a chance reunification wont happen. If you wait, it's likely that the prices will become more in line with ROC which is considerably higher. We bought in 2006 and intend to move over as soon as we have no ties in Scotland and are prepared to take whatever TRNC throws at us. We absolutely love it there, but renting will give you the chance to see where in TRNC you like the best if you do ultimately decide that's where you want to retire to. The very best of luck, no matter where you end up.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 23:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 43 in Discussion

mozgor

I was in Scotland last year, just loved it spent a month there, should have made it 2 months, spent a while in Invergordon and Glasgow, if the weather was reasonable I wouldn't hesitate to return, it's one of the most beautiful countries on earth, but as I said before it's either Spain or the NC, but it's looking likely to be the NC, and if after a while I become disillusioned then I can move off to newer pastures, ( as you say that's if I rent and not buy ),

Robert

Blackbird

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 23:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Robert, did you post this subject on a Spanish forum? And if so which one?

Bradus

Message Posted:
30/01/2011 23:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 43 in Discussion

Aussiejock the best of both worlds? A few months renting in Scotland followed by a few months in Cyprus? If bored you could always nip across the water and do a few months in Turkey?

The world is your oyster, enjoy that retirement.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 43 in Discussion

Blackbird

yes I did, I wanted to get answers about Spain, NC and Greece, but the help hasn't been as good as Cyprus44, they sort of went off on a tangent and I was none the wiser, at least on this site I get direct answers to my questions, that's why I posted it on this site as well, am I allowed to post the name of the forum on here, if not just delete it

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/spain-expat-forum-expats-living-spain/

I have been a member of that forum for over a year, it can be interesting but it doesn't have the traffic that cyprus44 has, and every 2nd post seems to be about someone looking for work, wanting to leave the UK and head for Spain, with wife and kids on tow, with no money or prospects, with 22% unemployed and 40% youth unemployed in Spain, I just couldn't believe it, and they were very serious about packing it all in and just coming over, I was gob-smacked, they can't speak Spanish who would employ them, it gets very cold in winter, hot in Summer.

Robert

cronos

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 43 in Discussion

Robert...you sound like a very sensible bloke who's done a lot of research.

However, at the risk of repeating myself, PLEASE just rent in North Cyprus and don't be tempted to buy...even at depressed dirt cheap prices.

Keep your financial security intact....you can rent a beautiful villa or apartment in NC for less than £5K a year, and have all the benefits of a relaxing retirement with none of the worry.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 43 in Discussion

Bradus

That's a good idea but our money must last the rest of our lives, I will only get a British pension of 65 pounds a week around 166lira, the Australian pension they only pay out for 6 months while overseas and then they cut you off, I will sell my house in Oz that should give me around 850,000lira but will keep it in the bank here in Oz I can get around 6.5% interest, and government will guarantee up to 1 million dollars if there is a bank collapse, do you think I could live here with that amount or is it not enough, this is another question that I wanted to ask on this forum, do you think this is enough money to retire here, answers to this question would be appreciated, my interest would be around 56,000lira a year plus 8600lira from my pension which equates to about 64,600lira a year to live off, not a lot of money so hope you can put me right on this question, thanks again.

Robert

Bradus

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 43 in Discussion

Rob, type in "how much needed to retire" in the Goggle box at the top of the page. This has been discussed before. You might get a better cross-the- board picture.

Good Luck

cronos

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 43 in Discussion

Robert....that equates to about £25,000 per annum....more than enough !

Just don't leave the air con on....electricity is expensive !

Maz

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 43 in Discussion

64,600 tl should se eyou through O.K here. Depends on the lifestyle you want, but some people have incomes of less and eat out a lot and run a car or two, but of course they don't pay rent which can be from 500 to 1000 tl a month or more. but I agree with all the postings about coming here and renting before you decide if you are styaing.

Presumably you have an O.K place in Perth (where oh where are you? Maybe we could do a house swop for a while so you could get a taste of the place?).

What you must be prepared for is the rising cost of living - like everywhere else on earth. What used to be dirty cheap is not so cheap, but then the same thing has happened in Perth, hasn't it? Also if you wanted ot put some money in a T.L account, you can get 9% - something worth considering.

Does that help?

aussiejock

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 43 in Discussion

Bradus and cronos

I thought I would get a good answer from you guys thanks again.

Robert

Maz

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 43 in Discussion

B y the way, you would feel 'at home' here weatherwise. It is Perth upside down! It is the same distance from the equator, but going the other way, and consequently the weather pattern is the same. But of course, you won't be celebrating Christmas in July - you would have to have one in December in relative sunshine, but with celebrations. The cattle round the crib won't be koalas and 'roos, and you c\an't have a beach barbie on 25th December, but it is not too bad. Humidity levels in the very high temperatures are the same as Perth, and the days are about the same length.

So, that could make you feel better than somewhere such as Spain which is that little bit further north and has colder winters than we do here.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 43 in Discussion

Bradus and cronos

I thought I would get a good answer from you guys thanks again.

Robert

Lazy days

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 09:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 43 in Discussion

Hello Robert,

May I just add to the above, having lived in TRNC for almost 6 years now after moving from Spain Via Turkey (6 months) we found the TRNC very appealing as we had friends living here, the crime rate was very low and accommodation plentiful and very cheap either to rent or purchase.

Alas it was not to last, the crime rate has soared with 68 murders reported in the local papers last year, and house break ins are at an all time high, there is weekly carnage on the roads, although we do realise there are many places like this, we have decided to up sticks again and are shortly to move to Italy's south coast.

This last part is likely to inflame some of the members on here but we also find that there are too many expats living here who simply cannot afford it now and many of them will rip you off at the drop of a hat or are working on the black market trying to eek out a living, not our way I am afraid so good luck in your decision, you seem to be a sensible person.

Maz

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 12:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 43 in Discussion

I really think our poster should come and try for himself. I feel the statistics given are a little exaggerated - at least when lumped together. Maybe before we did not hear it so much because the media here has improved leaps and bounds.

But I agree with south Italy, but beware of the Mafia. Italy /Sicily and around is the 'land of thieves' I was told by my respectable Italian friends when I lived in the North.

As to the Brits, they all work in the markets which you don't have to attend. Parts of Cyprus are sitll very Cypriot - PLEASE COME AND TRY FOR YOURSELF.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 13:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 43 in Discussion

Ok Lazydays go and see the crime in Italy and the amazing costs, I wish you well.

denflolad

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 43 in Discussion

Hi Aussiejock

Flo and I have lived in North Cyprus (Famagusta and Bogaz) and are now living in Spain (Moraira). In our opinion there is no comparison and that is why we are very much hoping to return to NC in March. Put quite simply we are missing the country and the people, both Turkish Cypriot and expat, and you could not find nicer happy people in general. Never mind the stats, money, etc you will be happier and safer in NC.

Good luck whatever you decide:o)

Denis

Hector

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 43 in Discussion

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is that of healthcare. I would give the cost of healthcare and the differences in availability and quality of treatment serious consideration. I would guess that Spain may come out on top but I stand to be corrected.

honestie

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 15:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 43 in Discussion

msg 24

LIved and still have place in altea hills and know moraira well.

It is a beautiful area and scenery and beaches as you know but like you preferred north cyprus and thats why Ive been here for nearly six years. Its safer compared to the crime in spain but to answer message 25 the health care in spain is excellent and being in the eu if resident there you can get the same healthcare as you transfer your uk benefit s and in many cases the care is better than the uk from the experiences I had there. I have had excellent medical care here too but that has had to be paid for .

I would however if I had had that magic word hindsight rented here before I had bought but thats just my opinion . Is very differant from Perth as my daughter keeps telling me as she loves it there and intends to move over there so each to their own.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 15:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 43 in Discussion

NC is far better in so many ways than Spain I have done both, all depends on circumstances for sure but I would not go back to Spain.

cypgab

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 16:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 43 in Discussion

Message 24. Good positive response, and helps reinforce our views. Thanks

aussiejock

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 16:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 43 in Discussion

denflolad and honestie thanks for the information, Hector, healthcare is something that we thought about and will have to look into, we are now at the age when we must have health insurance, I had plastic surgery in Turkey, went to a hospital in Izmir and it was a disaster, the surgeon was a moron and made a mess of the operation, I'm still feeling the effects of his experiment on me, I just hope that the hospitals in the NC will be better, I love Perth and find it a great place to live, but we have been travelling the world for so long now, I just love the med and Europe as a whole, so there is no comparison with the lifestyle in Europe compared to Perth, we can go back to Perth any time we wish, thanks again.

Robert

johndp

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 19:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 43 in Discussion

Message 21

thought you were going to India (goa) or have I got x-ed wires ??

Hector

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 43 in Discussion

Robert

In NC I believe that for the more serious stuff i.e. cancer, heart etc. patients are referred for medical treatment in Turkey. Medical insurance cover for expats is still an issue.

You could ask nurseawful for advice on this.

elkiton

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 43 in Discussion

Hi, I had a place in Spain to test the country for retirement, did not like it, Blackpool in summer and desolate in winter. Little Britain,a bit like God's waiting room full of moaning Brits waiting to die...sit on any seafront in winter and listen to them!After 3 years sold up and moved here. Here 3 years and no regrets at all, except that I would have rented not bought, and spent the two exceptionally hot summer months away traveling, which we still hope to achieve. Don't come here if you want what I call ENGLAND PLUS, only come if you are an adventurer!

Medical here is no problem if you set aside a bit of cash, again do your homework. Operation on my elbow in 2009 £600. Diana's shoulder,a complex rotor cuff repair done privately last week at Cyprus Life,a professional and well equipped hospital, consultants very knowledgeable,treatment instant,overnight stay and inclusive of all post op consults £2,500. I will not be using Girne General again having found CL !

TonyE

Bradus

Message Posted:
31/01/2011 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 43 in Discussion

I would probably say North Cyprus rather than Spain. However I would buy in Spain but not in Cyprus (north or south) until the laws change to safeguard purchase.

Elkiton gives good advice regarding renting rather than buying. I think there would be lots of happier people, had they stuck to this advice.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
01/02/2011 06:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 43 in Discussion

elkiton

good post and and good information on healthcare, any idea the price of health insurance or should we just put money aside, looking at all the information it seems that NC is the place where most people would settle down, so thanks again for all the good replies,

Robert

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
01/02/2011 10:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 43 in Discussion

If you have an Australian passport and want a change - why not New Zealand. If you want 'Scottish' - Dunedin & Invercargill are more Scottish than Scotland! Scenery, climate and lifestyle and cost of living are all better than Scotland, and certainly TRNC!

My biggest regret is that when I sold my house property in RoC, that I didn't return to NZ, rather than coming to TRNC - unfortunately a strong 'family committment' got in the way. Now, it's all but impossible to sell anything in TRNC, except for some dunger apartment - anything else is like wart on the arse - bloody near impossible to get rid of!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
01/02/2011 10:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 43 in Discussion

Tenakoutou;

I have a friend over who is after a large house.If my memory does not fail me,you have a rather large house for sale.If you could kindly forward some details I'd pass it on.

see my profile for e-mail ad.

Regards

aussiejock

Message Posted:
01/02/2011 10:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 43 in Discussion

nice one Tenakoutou we lived in New Zealand for 2 years lovely place, Mount maunganui, and have friends and relations over there, went back 2 years ago and the prices were outrageous, spent 4 weeks there, never stopped raining and the place just wasn't for us anymore, I couldn't live there now, the population of New Zealand is getting smaller, because they are all going to OZ, this is causing problems in N.Z, if the weather was better there would only be one place for me and thats Scotland, google the cost of living in NZ, wages are not the greatest, house price are way over the top, as you told me before only rent, do not buy, good advice thanks.

Robert

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
01/02/2011 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 43 in Discussion

Thanks, 'yorgozlu' - right now we are just going South - I'll get back to you when we return.

HildySmith

Message Posted:
01/02/2011 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 43 in Discussion

If you rent here first you can find out how the land lies. The interest rates are good and this pays for most of your rent. We bought and then found out we could have rented a good quality home for about 30years for the price we paid for the house (which we still haven't got after 5 years). We should have rented first. If we get our house there is a good chance we sill sell it and stay in rented villa.

martinD41

Message Posted:
02/02/2011 20:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 43 in Discussion

Ten, Hope it works out for you.............................

martinD41

Message Posted:
02/02/2011 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 43 in Discussion

elkiton msg32....Sorry you did not find Spain to your liking,far to many Brits seem to think it's Paradise..I for one would not dream of going there ..I came to the TRNC with a view to buying, but after being shown round the various properties for sale ,by a "Reputable" Estate agent,and having been heavily involved with the construction industry for many years ,I saw that the average build "Quality "was" Horrendous",(and having no need to find out what is happening behind the scenes) decided to "RENT" (contrary to your statement,I have never been a member of any Club, or, said that I hate the TRNC,....(How can one hate an Inanimate object?)

Maz

Message Posted:
04/02/2011 00:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 43 in Discussion

So when are you coming over Aussiejock, so we can all meet you and show you what's what and what's not. There are some very helpful people here, in spite of some of the postings on the forum.

aussiejock

Message Posted:
04/02/2011 09:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 43 in Discussion

Maz thanks for the reply have my son and his family staying with us until he can find another house, when that is I don't know but told him I wanted to put the house on the market by June or July, so hope it's this year, I find everyone very friendly on this forum, my opinions may differ on certain subjects with other members, but that's only human nature, looking at all the posts on this forum some people have had a bad time in NC, but others seem to get on just fine, I find that this forum Cyprus44 is probably the best around, sometimes I hate it because I can't stay away from it, and it takes up a lot of my time, but I love reading all the posts, they are so interesting,

Robert

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.