North Cyprus Tourist Board - iphones, anyone got an idiots guide to?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > iphones, anyone got an idiots guide to?

iphones, anyone got an idiots guide to?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

herindoors

Message Posted:
05/02/2011 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Hi, coming over to live in May and my kids want to buy me an iphone4. I thought it was just a case of going into Apple and buying one but came out with a headache!! Can some good soul guide me through the process please. Whats blocked/unblocked? One of numerous questions that I couldnt answer. I have had a phone over there and just took it to Lemars and used it as a pay and go. If you have the time to answer, pretend you are talking to an alien as technology escapes me and that how I felt in the Apple shop!!!

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
05/02/2011 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Are you buying the phone on a contract?

AllyTT

Message Posted:
05/02/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

Unlocked means it's not locked to a particular network or operator. Your best bet *is* to just go in to an Apple store and buy one as they are sold only as unlocked models there. Then you can just put your regular KKTCELL or Telsim card in it and away you go.

With the iPhone 4 it really isn't worth buying a locked version as the price difference is so little between locked and unlocked. You'll probably find it's easier to just get your family to order one online to be delivered to their home as there is still a shortage of iPhone 4's at some Apple Stores although when ordering online you won't be able to buy it tax-free (as the phone is going abroad) like you can at an Apple Store.

herindoors

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for replying, its starting to get clearer. I wasn't going to get it on contract as i'm moving over there, so, now will go and buy one and put my card in when I arrive. Didn't realize I could buy tax free, so thanks for that tip. Its horrible when you can't keep up with technology

Turtle

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

If you buy a used iPhone just make sure the original owner has had it unlocked by the provider then it can be used with most other sims.

Think about what the phone is all about before you go down th iPhone route......is it the phone for u ?

If you are into downloading, music, internet, using like a mini laptop and emailing from your phone then its great but if its just a modern "phone" you want maybe this is not the phone for you.

artistabroad

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Maybe not an idiot's guide to, but there is an 'iPhone for Dummies' book, available from Amazon. No idea if it's any good, but it does get good reviews, and the iPhone does so much more than an 'ordinary' phone, it would be a shame not to use it. Personally it's an iPad I want!

Harold2555

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 19:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Look at getting an Android phone instead!

Harold

Pogle

Message Posted:
06/02/2011 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

herindoors, I would consider asking your very kind kids to buy you something more useful and less frustrating than an iPhone - a nice laptop maybe. I have an iPhone with all the kit and kaboodle, top of the range but little idea how to use it or the inclination to spend time finding out!

herindoors

Message Posted:
07/02/2011 18:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Thank you so much to all who replied. It has made me realize I dont really need one. I think I'll probably get myself an ordinary phone and maybe a new laptop! Now anybody got an idiots guide to laptops..........................no, only joking!!!!!! Although I dont contribute much to this site, I read it most days and I love the way there is always someone who will spare a minute to help when help is asked for.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.