North Cyprus Tourist Board - Best University in TRNC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Best University in TRNC?

Best University in TRNC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

uqureshi

Message Posted:
09/02/2011 18:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

As I have planned to complete my bachelors in TRNC starting this year, want to know which University is the best

one for Business Administration etc. kind of programs? is there any official ranking etc.?

Though I know these Uni's are accredited by Turkish Education Ministry thus making em' recognized! Yet I don't know the value of Degrees. . . or I will say simply confused! o_O

Any helpful answers will be greatly appreciated!

Maz

Message Posted:
09/02/2011 23:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

Look up the web pages of them all. Near East: E.M.U; METU; GAU, Lefke and a couple of others.

But which to recommend I don't know. Personally I think METU is best, but it is out on a limb a bit in Kalkanli. EMU used to be best, but not quite so now. Near East at Nicosia is popular, but what you need is to do your research and find out some people who have got their degrees there; know teaching staff; or currently studying.

And the recognition? The accredcitation is the problem, but the Bergamo is not yet given. However, others are. So, make your choice after a lot of research.

Good luck

hamide

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 11:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

hello

I think Near East University is the best now. I graduated from Eastern Mediterranean University in Famagusta in 2005. It was best at that time, but now most of the students prefer going to NEU. Quality of Education at Neu business school is quite high as most of the teachers are good educated. Neu is like a city now, it is the biggest university in Northern Cyprus. As refurbishment of the business administration building has already been completed, the lectures will start quite late at the beginning of March. Hope that helps!

ClaireCat44

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 11:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

I would also recommend Near East University.

goldheart666

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

1.METU 2.NEU etc.

raidercruise

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 13:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

yes ...

1. METU

2. NEU

3 EMU

baran

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 14:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

BEST İS NEU

uqureshi

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 16:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

***THANKS EVERYONE, SERIOUSLY REALLY HELPFUL ANSWERS***

I have heard about METU pretty much but as far as I know it is mostly focused on engineering related programs etc.

Where as If a 'poll' is to be conducted I guess for Business related programs mostly people will select NEU.

So I guess its NEU then. . But still any one who studied/studies in NEU's business school please do comment. . ;)

Maz

Message Posted:
10/02/2011 23:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Glad you have found some good, sensible, helpful answers. I do know both teachers and students at Near East - not sure about business studies, BUT I have not heard a bad word about them , so they must be the 'flavour of the year'.

But would suggest you go and see the places for yourself. It looks as if there are two contenders METU and NEU, so go take a look around. METU is purpose built and planned well in advance, whereas NEU seems to have buildings added as and when (as does GAU) - so take a look and see how you feel about them both, as well as asking the right questions.

Again - good lucki. I am sure you will find the place that is right for you.

hamide

Message Posted:
11/02/2011 09:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Again

I think the best thing for you to go to the faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences department and talk to the secretary to give you a chance to talk to the department head so that you can have an idea what lectures you are going to take , how many hours per week etc..At least you will have and idea about the course. You can do same for METU.

Unfortunately, I do not know anybody studied at business department at NEU, but I do know some instructors and the chairperson since I am a part time lecturer at the same building but not at the same department. Chairman is Assist. Prof. Dr Serife Zihni EYUPOGLU. She is a lovely lady. I am sure she will help you to get some information for the course.

hamide

Message Posted:
11/02/2011 09:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Sorry I ve made a spelling mistake! I meant that she is the chairperson of the business department. she is a woman. She is also vice dean

uqureshi

Message Posted:
11/02/2011 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

@Hamide and Maz

thanks a lot for your suggestions, however I am not in TRNC right now that's why can't visit the unis! :(

Maz

Message Posted:
11/02/2011 23:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

That's why I suggested you read all the web pages first. I know it is nothing like actually being there in person, but it should/could help you to decide which ones you wish to investigate further. Or you could ask them to mail you their prospectus etc.

Then I think you MUST come over to take a look yourself. But where are you now? From which country will you come as it could make a difference in terms of fees.

Agian, good luck with it all. And be assured there are plenty of nice people on this forum who will be happy to advise you as much as they are able.

uqureshi

Message Posted:
12/02/2011 12:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Maz, Prospectus? It will only have good things u knw how it is! What I think after contacting them & searching through their web-pages etc. I should say 1. METU & 2. NEU both are my options. . .

But I like METU much (according to their website etc.) that is why if some one had/has 'experience' of studying in any of these Universities, it will further clear the misconceptions etc. because h/she will know much better. . & Yea I will be an international student (from Pakistan).

NO DOUBT about the last lines, there are pretty 'good people' on this forum who are already helping me! I hope I will get some more (& more) helpful information which will help me to decide which Uni I should go in!

And 'Bunch of Thanks!'

Maz

Message Posted:
12/02/2011 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

I agree with your choices of 1 and 2. But both unis offer big differences geographically. Near East is on the edge of Lefkosia where there are shops, history, night life, cafes galore etc, and Kalkanli is set in several acres outside of Guzelyurt which is an old town of a very different nature to Lefkosia. YOu have to visit them both before deciding. METU is of course THE otp uni in Turkey and is custom built to serve its students. Near East has bits added on, and now contains the dental teaching hopsital, and the new large general hospital which has been much in the news for various reasons. METU is education only - non medical.

Look up some google maps, as that might help you realise how geographically different they are.

Again, good luck.

uqureshi

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 16:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Yea you are right! Geographically its like opposite directions like one is at left in Güzelyurt (METU) and the other right in Nicosia (NEU). But still I am confused and the actual problem is I can't 'just' visit em' like this. .

As far as medical education is concerned in NEU, that will not have any influence on the decision as I am mosre interested in the standard of education. . of (their) Business Departments!

Thanks a lot for the differences between these 2 towns/cities!

I hope students from (any of) these Unis will soon respond. .

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.