North Cyprus Tourist Board - I thought that smoking in restaurants was against the law in the TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > I thought that smoking in restaurants was against the law in the TRNC

I thought that smoking in restaurants was against the law in the TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Restaurant threads posted so far

» Kyrenia Restaurants

» Famagusta Restaurants

sunnyday

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 19 in Discussion

Last night we were eating in the restaurant of Bogaz Hotel (beach club restaurant). Other people came in after us & most of them were smoking, including the staff. It got so bad that we had to leave before our desert & coffee.

I thought that the law came in over a year ago, yet all the locals just ignore it.

LeYLeY

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 19:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 19 in Discussion

Im confused aswell. . .in some resturants they dont allow it and in some they do. All the clubs still allow smoking. I was in malika the other night and everyone lighting up.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 19:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 19 in Discussion

I thought that establishments which did not serve food were OK for people to smoke in and that it was just resteraunts which could not allow it.

Does anyone know the law properly?

Why do we always have to make guesses and assumptions. If it is the law then we all should know it.

Is it a closely guarded secret, is it ok for policemen and owners of establishments to smoke but not for anyone else.

Clarification please

brother

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 19 in Discussion

Re. Msg. 4.

I think you will find it has more to do with the belief and acceptance in the "rule of law".

martinD41

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 19:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 19 in Discussion

Sunnyday,it's a shame ,if they had been smoking the "WEED" you would have had a great night And the munches when you got home,,,,,

Furryfriends

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 21:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 19 in Discussion

Police smoke in their offices leaning out the window and Government Officials smoke in their office whilst having a meeting with you.

Maz

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 21:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 19 in Discussion

The law is plain. No smoking in public places - offices,shops, restaurants, c\afes etc. I believe the exception is a night club, but don't frequent them.

There is a hefty fine for any place breaking the law. Yes people lean out of windows aznd smoke, I have seen it, but I have also been in shops where they have been puffing, and I have made suitable comments (with a smile) and they stop.

The establishyment you were in was DEFINITELY DEFINITELY breaking the law. But if they don't care, let them get on with it and don't patronise the place again. Reckon they should giv eyou a refund to keep quiet!

philbailey

Message Posted:
13/02/2011 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 19 in Discussion

They came for the smokers, and I did not speak out—because I was not a smoker;

They came for the obese, and I did not speak out—because I was not obese;

They came for the drinkers, and I did not speak out—because I was not a drinker;

When they came for me there was no one left to speak out..

Maz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 19 in Discussion

But what about 'He that hath ears, let him hear!' Unfortunatley it is often the case here that if a 'yabanci' speaks out, the authorities don't/won't hear, and the life of the yabanci is more uncomfortable, until he learns that 'silence is golden'. Hence evil prevails because the good men dare say and do nothing.

Sad - but, perhaps SunnyDay could say why they didn't call the smoking police.

Whistler

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 09:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 19 in Discussion

Anyone know the number to ring for the smoking police please?

lilyross

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 19 in Discussion

plenty of restaurants still have smokers ...just dont use them there are plenty more to try ....perhaps they will get the message then .....oops was that a flying Pig that went passed !!

Maz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 19 in Discussion

Suggest anyone wanting to complain contacts the local police. I know there were posters around giving a number, but they seem to have disappeared. Personally I think ALL places flaunting the law should be reported and punished, because responsible people who have restaurants have and are paying out a lot of money to ensure they keep the law but that smokers have a place to sit (and with heaters!). But if anyone does have the number, then please give it. Trouble is that the police often treat informants as criminals wanting to know deceased parents names and full details. That is one reason the Turks and TC's don't report as they don't want to squeal on their family and friends. So that leaves us Brits to get a bad name. So maybe Lilyros is right.

As for the last posting, just one question. What do you think your rude and uncharitable comments add to the debate. Are you suggesting we all break the law? If so, then I suggest that you are being extremely unhelpful in terms of helpi

Maz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 13:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 19 in Discussion

Sorry for confusion. The 'last posting' to which I refer seems to have been deleted, so obviously the Administrators felt, like me, that it added nothing to the debate.

One has to be fair and to comment that upholding the law is difficult in many counrtries, so in one sense north Cyprus is no different. Maybe the difference is that they are understaffed when it comes to trying to keep people upholding the law. So maybe we have a duty to report things.

What do other law abiding citizens feel, especially as in many instances it produces dissatisfied customers who are both unhappy and out of pocket! And it does nothing for the reputation of a place that is struggling to c\reate happy tourists.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 19 in Discussion

Maz

The onus rests with the proprietor.If they are happy to break the law for whatever reason then it is up to them to take the risk. I don't think I would feel the necessity at any stage to report to the police, I would if I were upset just withdraw my custom and let the ownner/ manager know why in a polite non confrontational way.

Harold

smokey

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 14:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 19 in Discussion

yes report it if you like, you will be invited into the police station to give your account in a smoke filled room !!!

smokey

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 19 in Discussion

well done Harold at least you give a fair answer

Jeannie

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 19 in Discussion

Yes - well said Harold - the voice of reason

elko2

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 19 in Discussion

I think the number to ring is 184 but don't hold your breath for it. I would certainly ring them and even if there is no answer I would pretend to be reporting in full view. Then I would tell the proprieter that I will lodge a complaint in writing and leave. Here the all important thing is to keep calm and use a warm and polite voice rather than an agressive voice. It makes a lot of diffference.

If we simply leave without a protest nothing will change.

ismet

Maz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 19 in Discussion

Ismet's voice is a better one to listen to. The old adage 'evil prevails while good men stand by and do nothing' is most appropriate in this case. If the law is to be upheld then the police need to know who is breaking it.

And whilst I appreciate the addiction to LadyNicotine, think of the health of others when you are puffing away making them inhale dangerous chemicals that they would prefer to avoid.

Maybe all the customers are the friends of the proprietor, and if so, they can ruin their health, but running a business should mean you want more customers than friends! And what about holiday makers who come over believing this is now a no smoking place like most of the educated parts of the world.

And Ismet is right - another appropriate quote ' a soft answer turns away anger'.

Thanks Ismet!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.