North Cyprus Tourist Board - 2nd of March - Demonstration in the TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > 2nd of March - Demonstration in the TRNC

2nd of March - Demonstration in the TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 55 in Discussion

Apparently there are some people in other fora that do not understand why it is that TCs are having the second Demonstration. According to them it is like a broken pencil - pointless. Such conviction. And yet there on these fora day in day out spewing the same old rubbish about how the TCs are irrelevant to the Cyprus problem.

Well Mr KuKlaxKlan or who ever you may be, when 100,000 TCs march on to Emabasy each one with

Assikdir back to Ankara

Mr New Ambassador

Perhaps then Mr Erdogans ear wax will be cleared and he will actually hear what is being said rather than what he wants to hear.

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 55 in Discussion

May I suggest that the reverse side is filled against Christofias and should say something like this.

Reh Yero Muhtaro din Gibron

Bos ine Tzimbuky Malaka dis Elathas.

Perhaps he will also understand what we think of his decisions to go back to square one when he took over instead of correcting what he was not happy about the Annan Plan.

elko2

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 55 in Discussion

Those who insulted Turkey at the last meeting was very much in the minority and their votes at the general elections is always less than one %. However Erdogan is playing to his electorates in Turkey and it suited him to draw attention to these placards.

The way TRNC is ruled by the local politicians is not sustainable and Erdogan is right in trying to put things right. I support him fully and I am sure he will discipline the unruly and irresponsible TRNC politicians and the trade unions. God bless him.

ismet

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 55 in Discussion

But is he not talking about cutting the wages of Civil Servants by 50% and the 13th Salary? I think you will find their ranks will swell quite dramatically in the next 12 months. I would hazard a guess and suggest that even the settlers will join with this one. It will be interesting to see how many people come out in the next demonstration.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 55 in Discussion

msge 4 yfred

You should be able to get lots of brothers from the UK to join. There are lots, for whom the penny has not dropped as yet.

elko2

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 16:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 55 in Discussion

msg. 4

Yfred,

You should pay more attention to my posts on C44 and specially my replies to your posts. Poor memory?

There is a very very big gap between the salaries paid in the public sector and the private sector. This also held back the private sector and also increased the pressure on the politicians to employ more people in the civil servicer. So what Erdogan did was to cut the salaries by 50% for those to be employed in the public sector from now on. Even so there is no shortage of demand for jobs in the public sector. This move was absolutely essential and in fact came very late. There is no cut in the salaries of the existing civil servants. I ahve repeated this many times but somehow you are not receptive to this idea. Selective filters?

ismet

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 16:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 55 in Discussion

Ismet abi;

Why do you think there is so much gap in salaries ?

elko2

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 16:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 55 in Discussion

yorgozlu,

I don't think, I know. My wife calls them to court as wittnesses in civil cases and often its me who goes and pays their daily wages in order to get a court order for them to attend.

The private sector pays mostly in the region of 1500-2000 TL whereas in the public sector it is mostly about 3-7000 TL. Furthermore their retirement salaries and the lump sum they get on retirement is much greater.

ismet

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 55 in Discussion

Ismet I don't get a chance to read everything that is written each day. Sorry. I was not sure if it was for both existing and future. How do people survive on the private sector wages. No wonder all the TCs are leaving Cyprus for ever.

Has everyone heard of the story of Mitcho's donkey, where he worked out that if he reduces the feed to the beast by hand full each day cumulatively, he will get the beast used to working without food. Eventually he got to the stage where there was no feed needed. The beast died soon after. Damn it old man Mitcho said, just as I got it used to no food.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 55 in Discussion

Well said Ismet, some of the Government workers need a reality check, looks like they are about to get it finally, strangely enough no different to Greece.

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 55 in Discussion

ilovecyprus, never mind the pennies the pounds are dropping. Soon we shall have 100000 in London calling for Ankara to go, in about 2050 give or take a decade or so.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 55 in Discussion

Ismet abi;

Could it be because,there are so many mainlanders in TRNC whom are willing to work for the current minimum wage?

Of course,one must not try to blame them but the employers.

I do agree on retirement lump sum.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 55 in Discussion

yorgozlu i have much sympathy generally but most TC's will not work in what they see as menial jobs, chefs, waiters, cleaners etc and after all it is the TC's that bring the Turkish workers in and employ them and continue to do so, if there was no demand there would be no supply?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 55 in Discussion

Pugwash;

The demand may well be there,but I sincearly beleive that the reason for the national wage being so far lees then what what public sector workers get is to do with national minimum wage in Turkey being half of TRNC.

and...that is a very good reason for employers to refuse to put the national minimum wage UP.

By the way,I too do not agree with 7000tl wage for civil workers or 4-500.000 retirement lump sum or their pension being what they were earning befor retiring.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 17:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 55 in Discussion

I see you what you say yorgozlu bt surely whatever there are not enough TC workers to go round even if you got rid of all Turkish workers?

And The TC employers can pay as they wish, no one makes them pay Turkish minimum wages?

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 18:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 55 in Discussion

Of course TC employers does not have to stick with minimum wage but would you pay 2000 when you can get away with 1000?

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 55 in Discussion

Do not forget, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys. That is another Old man Mitcho sayings

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 55 in Discussion

It's not only that YFred,have seen the places they live in order to make ends meet?

erolz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 55 in Discussion

The problem is that lots more than peanuts, relatively speaking, is being paid and yet we still get monkeys.

The fact is the public sector in the TRNC is not providing value for money, its over staffed and massively inefficent by any comparative standard used.

The 'left' in the TRNC (CTP / unions etc) must address this issue themselves in my opinion. Not addressing it and then screaming about it when Turkey forces the right to address it is just not a good enough response in my view.

Show me a TRNC politician that will state they want independance from Turkeys influence AND who will realisticlay talk about reducing government expenditure by the 500 odd million USD that Turkey subsidies TRNC annualy and they will get my support. Ones who moan about Turkey imposing cuts on public sector expenditure in the TRNC and yet offer no plan of their own as to how we can save this 500-600 million USD per year are just nothing more than hot air in my view.

tracer

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 55 in Discussion

Yfred do you think that he could repair anything on anan the only repair possible was rewriting from scratch

I've said it before anan was a plan for everybody else except for the cypriots that's why we said no.

the only thing now that needs repair is the 60s 63 constitution and made it to suit our needs as cypriots

a constitution that suits every single citizen of this tiny island .

Also take in mind that we dont have to much alish verish with greece any more we mind our businness alone

the umbilical cord has been cut off for so long now . even the Cretans said that their biggest mistake was the union with geece .

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 55 in Discussion

It suited Ankara to have the bloated civil service in the TRNC for many years. Now it doesn't and I'm in agreement with Ankara on this. However, the political parties here are poor. They employ people who support them, give benefits to supporters and this must be challenged and changed in my view. "Work" was created. CTP had the chance to do something different and failed. Most of the ministers and high-ups milked the system and Ferdi Sabit Soyer did not bring in the austerity measures when he was asked to in 2008 - UBP being strong opponents of these measures. There needs to be a root and branch restructuring, but who will be brave enough? Does Ankara really want a strong TRNC? I don't know, but it is fascinating and scary both to witness these events.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 55 in Discussion

AnthonySmith;

"It suited Ankara to have the bloated civil service in the TRNC for many years. Now it doesn't and I'm in agreement with Ankara on this."

Consider it to be your working place/company;

Would you except to be 'forced' to have a paycut?

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 55 in Discussion

No, Yorgozlu, but I've worked with zero pay increases at one firm, which I take to amount to the same thing, and lost benefits such as overtime, lunch and dinner expenses. I retained my job, though.

While elsewhere firms have cut their cloth, sometimes in the name of increased profits, here in the TRNC the struggling government has recruited willy-nilly and then sent civil service employees not of their political persuasion out on gardening leave. At the last count there were something like 370 (might have got the 70 bit wrong) senior civil servants not working but being paid full wages and the 13th salary. Could you succeed in business on that model?

erolz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 55 in Discussion

Yorgozlu

In the real world if your employer spends more every year than they collect in income, be it a private company or a public sector entity, then you would have the choice of pay cuts and improving efficency untill the income exceed expenditure or you have no job.

The TRNC has been insulated from this reality in the public sector by Turkish subsidy.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 55 in Discussion

I'm not in dissagrrement of the fact that TRNC needs to sort itself out.

However,quite rightly people/public workers are retaliating to being 'forced' to take paycut,which is rather different to your situation above.You decided to stay on.

The reason of TRNC being in this situation is Turkey,as you've stated 'Ankara started it' and now they no longer want to carry on , comparing TRNC with Turkey's living standarts when TRNC should be compared with RoC.

There is a price for everything in this world,I just wish our politicians could be as brave as the public.

tracer

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 55 in Discussion

But if Turkey has already spoken against giving any more extra money to the "trnc", what's the point in having a second demonstration, unless it is to become confrontational with Turkey's presence in the north..??

Turkey cannot get the kind of settlement she wants, like the Annan Plan which would have given her control of the whole island and have influence in the EU through the north state. That dream has come on gone in 2004, so now she is stuck in Cyprus and can't just pull out without looking pretty silly, having invested so much in the north already and the prospect of being seen as defeated by the small country like the RoC. Turkey would rather pull out by having the TCs telling her to pull out just so to save face, which then she can concentrate on her EU dreams, because she is not getting anywhere with the EU, unless Turkey does leave Cyprus.

cont

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 55 in Discussion

erolz;

I know that as well as yourself.

However,if no longer happy to subsidise then 'they' should just say so and pull out............

tracer

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 55 in Discussion

Turkey once may have thought she had "strategic interests" in Cyprus, but that too has come and gone. I can't see ANY "strategic interests" Turkey can have in Cyprus for her security that she cannot manage from her own shores only 60 miles away. Turkey's strategic interests are nothing but a "Red Herring" to stay in Cyprus until she can find a way to leave the island and save face same time.

Looks like she may have gotten it now by making the TCs angry by provoking them with the cuts in money supply and calling the TCs "ungrateful kept parasites".! It's all going to be downhill from here on, so you better buckle your seat for a rough ride, now that Turkey sent in the "arm twister" for an ambassador when he is not even a diplomat, Turkey is gradually relinquishing her recognition of the "trnc". At this moment in time, Turkey does not see the "trnc" as a independent country. She is on her way out and so is the "trnc",

elko2

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 20:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 55 in Discussion

The civil servants are getting good pay and still mostly we get monkeys. On the other hand it is not always their fault.

I bought a villa for my daughter and her husband in Girne. The villa was completed towards the end of 2009. The owner has been working hard, very hard to get the title deeds with obstacles all the way, some really lunatic obstacles. He complied with every request but they came up with more excuses. This person was a director with a few companies with different shareholders. Before getting the title deeds he has to prove that the company that owns the plot has no debt to the government. Oh no, all his other companies must pay their debts too. What legal nonsense. The alternative is to go to court and struggle for years. So it was pay up and shut up at every stage. Eventually the company in question got the title deeds last Thursday but its touch and go when he can transfer the title deed to us. We are waiting by the hour for the go ahead from the Land Registry. Slowly slowly, Yavaş yavaş, who is in a hurry. Certainly not the civil servants, they are not in a hurry.

ismet

PS: the son od a prominent politician started a new big development at the end of 2009, all gone through smoothly and they gave title deeds to buyers a few months ago. So it can be done if the will is there.

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 20:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 55 in Discussion

Yorgozlo, it wasn't a case of "deciding to stay on". After a while I found another job. Good jobs just aren't out there like they used to be. Monkeys and peanuts is the norm in the UK. And a desire for "yes men". And as I haven't got a degree - but a decent education nonetheless - a good job is even harder to get these days. So here I am doing office work in North Cyprus.

elko2

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 20:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 55 in Discussion

With ther system in TRNC, I trained many electicians and technicians but most of them eventually became policemen with higher wages. who could blame them? The private sector simply cannot afford the higher wages. This situaion is not healthy at all, the gap has to narrow.

ismet

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 55 in Discussion

AnthonySmith,you see,I'm no different.I've ducked and dived from the age of 6 and 23 years of my life in uk.So I know as well as you what it takes to keep a job,in uk.and......

I have a sister(decest),retired from public sector at the age of 36,after 15 years of work receiving pension.

I have a brother who retired at the age of 37 from army,also after 15 years of service,also receiving pension for the rest of his life and so on.....

Weater I agree with it or not,

All are agreed to be financed/subsidised by Turkey.

and now,it is too much?

Where does the democracy come in this?

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 20:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 55 in Discussion

Democracy is a rubbish word. There is no such thing. It does not exist. Anywhere.

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 22:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 55 in Discussion

Even TPapa said the needed to sort out 7 or 8 items and it would have worked. Christofias said the same thing. The object of the exercise was to give TCs confidence for a full union at some stage later. It was a good plan but unfortunately there are too many people in Cyprus for selfish reasons voted against it. It looks like a two state solution now, The way Cristofias did it, it will take another 45 years and we’d still be here arguing.

As to the poor employers who can’t afford to pay their workers living wage, I wonder why I see so many Mercedes and BMW garages in Cyprus. I seem to remember somebody mentioning that the BMW dealership in Cyprus has won some sort of Prize for Number of BMWs sold per population in Europe.

There is no excuse for not paying a living wage. It is a fact that the cost of living is much lower in Turkey then Cyprus. If we do what Erdogan suggested, perhaps rather than using Turkey for comparison, cont.

YFred

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 22:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 55 in Discussion

we can use Zimbabwe where the living wage is just a few dollars a day.

It’s all a load of bolderdash. We are in the EU my friends and we expect EU standards. If Turkey can’t hack it, they can take their lot and take a hike. If they think they are going to pay the workers in Cyprus the wages they are paying the poor Kurds in factory with no health and safety, them’s got another thing coming

erolz

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 23:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 55 in Discussion

Yfred there are fundamental issues that are independant of Turkey imo

I would hazzard a guess that the TRNC has more public service employees as % of total working population and the average renumeration of said employees vs private sector is higher than ANY other EU country. So do we in return get better public services than any other EU cvountry in return ? Clearly we do not. The public service employees in the TRNC get no sympathy from me at all because they are to be blunt rubbish.

You can not provide lowest efficency, lowest quality service and lowest value for money as public sector worker and then say we should be paid properly. Which is what they ARE saying.

The public sector in the TRNC has got fat and lazy is the reality. Yes they got this way off the back of Turkish subsidy given because it suited Turkey to give it, but it does not change the reality. It is ridiculous to blame Turkey for this - it is OUR problem and WE should fix it.

honestie

Message Posted:
14/02/2011 23:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 55 in Discussion

msgs 17 /18

peanuts and monkeys and places they live. Same can be applied to TCs and other nationalities or are there no TC monkies. If you say no then I know youre having a laugh as certainly have met a few

The TC employees want the jobs done which you know wont be done by their own for slave labour and you say this isnt a third world country!

As I have said many times I paid my employees as they should be whatever maybe I should have paid the TCs less

Turbo

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 00:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 55 in Discussion

Let see Turkey stop the subsidy, then we shall see the Civil servants bend over backward to kiss the rear end of Turkey to get them back. I am not very familiar with the finances of North Cyrpus, Can Cyprus afford to pay these bloated salaries? and what is this 13th salary all about and the lump sum? you'll be lucky to get a watch from most companies,, never heard it done anywhere else.

Lilli

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 01:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 55 in Discussion

well as usual yavas yavas

TinLondon

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 02:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 55 in Discussion

Msg 17 - "Do not forget, if you pay peanuts you get monkeys"

Unfortunately, the case is with many of the public sector workers on the island, they're paid in gold and you still get monkeys and baboons! KTHY was run (and I use the word run very loosely here) by very highly paid individuals and look what happened to that! 13th and 14th month salaries, free flights for friends and family (even after they had left the company) it was just waiting to happen.

I beleive some public sector workers are even protected / immune from redundancy.... What's all that about?

As for the the current government, I'm not even sure which primate to compare them to, but they all need a reality check!

It's finally time for Fantasy half island to wake up to the realities of 2011 and beyond!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 07:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 55 in Discussion

erolz-re msg 36;

"it is OUR problem and WE should fix it."

How do WE,with Turkey breathing on our neck like a bad father constantly?Public workers did not get their pay for december until mid january,WHY?

On the other hand,why do private sector (big bosses) keep rejecting to increase minimum wage,yet they all drive in latest,expensive cars,live in lavish properties,particularly the ones in building sector,charge us extortous prices for things worth tuppens (bought a milk bottle,plastic,for my lamb for 22 tl)yet they pay their workers PENNIES!

As for Turkey,did they realy think they'd get away with by bringing 55000 people from Turkey after 1974,housing them,giving them land,animals that was NOT theirs in the first place and get away with it?Never mind the other 2-300.000 others that came over after?

So,YES,I do blame Turkey and will carry on doing so.There is a price to pay and paying they must........otherwise...........

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 07:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 55 in Discussion

Yorgo

"So,YES,I do blame Turkey and will carry on doing so.There is a price to pay and paying they must........otherwise........... "

Otherwise what ??

The TRNC will sever ties with the Motherland and try to stand on its' own two feet ?

The unions will go on strike (yet again) and achieve ???????

The whole world is suffering because of the economic downturn and even the most highly developed nations are having to 'knuckle down' under austerity measures. Why should the TRNC be any different ?

I think there would be a bit more sympathy for public sector workers if they provided a decent service, however, jobs for life on inflated salaries/pensions that are so out of touch with those of the private sector has made them lazy and complacent. The current situation is simply unsustainable !!

Regards

Paul

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 55 in Discussion

fiendishpaul;

Paul,I'm aware of all your above comments,it's the way 'they' are doing it.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 08:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 55 in Discussion

Yorgo

My understanding is that reductions in salaries will only be applied to 'new' workers joining the Civil Service. Those currently employed will still retain their fat salaries. I don't see anything fundamentally wrong with this plan. I also believe that current workers should take a reasonable pay cut - workers all over the world are having to do the same. The TRNC government is beholden to the unions for votes so are in a very difficult position.

Tough times call for tough measures.

Whilst Ankara needs to shoulder some of the blame for the current predicament, the TRNC government cannot shirk its' responsibilities. It has continued to increase an already ridiculously overmanned Civil Service, rewarding failure with pay rises and gold plated pensions - even the most amateur economist could have predicted the current situation years ago !!

Regards

Paul

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 09:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 55 in Discussion

Paul;

I'm not in dissagreement with you or with 'erolz'.

However,do you beleive that 'we are kept'?

I sincearly beleive Mr.Erdogan has been the best leader in Turkey's history regarding Turkey and the policy they follow regarding TRNC is in their best interest,same as RoC or even UK!

My argument is not the salaries civil servants receive or not receive or the 'gold plated pensions'.After 37 years Turkey is held as responsible and classed as occupier by the whole world!There is a reason for that and a price for it too.

TRNC needs a good change and I'd like that change to be made by Turkish Cypriots without the interference from Turkey.

Let us make the mistakes and learn.There is no other way round to learn to stand on our own legs.

Regards

Sal

YFred

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 55 in Discussion

By all means ask for people who are no good at their job to be fired, but reducing wages of the new recruits will drive even more TCs out of Cyprus. I for one will never accept that. Turkey should pay rent for all the land it occupies including Gecitkale Airport and then leave TRNC to sort it's own finances.

We would also appreciate a bit of leverage in trying to remove the embardgoes. I don't expect results but at least show some intent as it were.

DeaconB

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 55 in Discussion

What does the TRNC produce or export that can make income?

Whilst it has nothing significant to support the economy then it can only rely on handouts from the paymaster in Ankara or the EU.

Striking for more money when there is none will achieve nothing, CTA recently proved this.

Civil Servants striking will get found out when nobody misses them.

When there are too many people and too few jobs something has got to give.

Oh, I forgot there are going to be a million more tourists this year and the housing market will pick up to solve all problems North and South.

As long as the ministers are OK nothing will change but their faces.

YFred

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 55 in Discussion

Deacon, after 35 years of embargo, what the hell did you expect to find in the TRNC? Whats the matter with everybody all of a sudden.

If we were allowed to trade, I can assure you we would have plenty to export.

A few weeks ago a TC exported some bricks to the south and all the brick manufacturers were up in arms about unfair competition.

Whilst the sufocation of the economy continues bugger all will be exported, and as the EU is one of the main culprits of the embargo along with RoC and Turkey the Buggers should share the hand outs.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 49 of 55 in Discussion

msge 48 yfred

Seems reasonable to me, the embargoes are extremely unfair and they hurt the TC's more than they hurt Turkey. If the UN feels it must place embargoes it should do so directly on Turkey. NC is the soft target.

DeaconB

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 15:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 50 of 55 in Discussion

I don’t disagree YFred but I don’t see the government seeking to change anything. They are just happy lining their pockets until the next lot get in who will continue to do the same. The whole of Cyprus is stuck in time warp but only the people themselves will be able to change that, not Turkey not the EU or anybody else, they have all got their own pressing problems and will be happy to leave Cyprus on the back burner forever. There is no incentive to attract business from outside either large or small and import taxes are a joke, the govt preferring to get 60% of nothing instead of 5% of something. I believe gambling raises a lot but casinos can be set up anywhere.

goldheart666

Message Posted:
26/02/2011 16:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 51 of 55 in Discussion

The weather could effect the meeting too.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
27/02/2011 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 52 of 55 in Discussion

Not a very bright idea to antagonise Mr. Erdogan any further, methinks - there could be unexpected and unpleasant repercussions!

bigOz

Message Posted:
27/02/2011 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 53 of 55 in Discussion

I doub anything from Mr Erdoğan will exsede a full verbal attack - I agree with İsmet's earlier posts on the subject that he is simply playing for the public votes in Turkey and nothing further. The truth is, Turkey needs North Cyprus to stay as Turkish for her own safe trade and control of the area, and it does not matter if they are TCs, Turkmens, or Azeri's for that matter! The so called costs and TC public opinion come much later in order of priorities...

Troodo

Message Posted:
27/02/2011 11:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 54 of 55 in Discussion

I very much doubt that any private sector worker backs these strikes, unfortunatly they seem to be in the vast minority - which is madness.

As a throw in, do I not remember that Soyer’s mob hired 5000 new public sector workers just weeks before the last election, when they knew they were not going to win?. Of course, he now expects to win the next time round. I wonder what the UBP will think up, to foul him up – and so it goes on and on.

No decent man goes into politics and survives, and the only people to blame are the voters – which is very sad.

philbailey

Message Posted:
22/03/2011 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 55 of 55 in Discussion

Delegations from the ten Turkish Cypriot unions that are involved in the demonstrations took the cause to Brussels today. A protest against Turkey’s economical measures will be held outside the European Parliament building and a press conference will follow.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.