North Cyprus Tourist Board - moving to north cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > moving to north cyprus

moving to north cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

dee1968

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 13:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 48 in Discussion

Hi my husband and I and 2 children 4 and just 16 are thinking of moving to n cyprus. We have been humming and aarghing now for over 12 months. Very confused as to what to do, as I read the forums and the posts and still dont know what advice to take. My husband is 50 next month (im 42) and quite frankly sick of the UK, what with the loss of family tax credit, child benefit & ongoing worries about interest rates.

We have been to North cyprus 3 times over the last 12 months (in and out of season) visited the schools and even tried to sell our house in the UK (so we could live of the interest in north cyprus). Unfortunately we couldnt sell our house, so the obvious would be to rent it out. We have also come to the conclusion that if we move to North Cyprus we would choose long term rent. I would like some thoughts and suggestions on like minded families who have children and are in their 40's 50's please. Ps this is my first post ...best I join rather than reading posts!

spider

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 48 in Discussion

Dee good luck with your move over, and welcome to the forum..Others will come along soon who may be in the same or similar picture as yourselves..with lots of advice for you. I know at the moment its hard to sell property back home but can when renting out, always depend on the place being occupied ? When we decided to sell we just wanted so much for a quick sale so reduced the asking price quite a bit..I know we always want what we can get when selling but sometime if we look at the sums it makes sense just to go for it...for the quick sale that enable us to get up and go for what we want..And yes renting over here is the better way to go, with money in the bank to cover your outgoing, please do not try to make the move on a very tight budget as the cost of living like back home is going up all the time. All the very best wishes

Spider,X

dap3081

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 15:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 48 in Discussion

Hi Dee, we just like you have had our fill of the UK and had decided to move to North Cyprus. I am getting towards that age where I need to put my feet up and enjoy the sun. We put our house up for sale, but as you well know things are moving very slow in that area here in UK, so we are now going to rent it out and move out to NC as soon as we can get our move organised. There's much to do but we hope to be out there by late April 11. We are planning to fly out in mid March to cross the T's and dot the I's on a few details in the hope it makes our move a bit easer as we are intending to drive there and enter Cyprus via main land Turkey. Anyway good luck with your move.

Use the forum at all times on the matter if you need information or advice I have found the Members very than helpfull, and willing help.

fosterscan

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 16:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 48 in Discussion

Dee1968

I don't know what finances you have to cover you when you move. If you sold in the UK and rented over there you should be ok. But renting your house and renting over there you would need a fair bit of savings as well, if you are that concerned of the loss of tax credits i would worry that you wouldn't be able to afford to live in Cyprus with school fees and lack of jobs.I admire you looking into to it the UK has lost its appeal and is definitely going down hill.Also if you go down the renting both option the door is always open to come back good luck and welcome to the forum.

Whitevanman

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 17:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 48 in Discussion

Hi Dee

If you want info on moving from TRNC please give me a ring on 07866 731 400 (uk mobile) and if I am in your neck of the woods I would be more than happy to call in and have a chat about the best way to go. I am a courier and run around every where and unless you are in a really oh so far out place I will be passing by soon.

I can put you in touch with happy customers who can vouch for the 100% record for satisfaction that show how the job should be done.

Good luck and best wishes

Nick McNally

Mid Wales Freight

sales@midwalesfreight.co.uk

P.S just because the company is Mid Wales Freight it doesn't mean we dont cover everywhere - Yesterday France, Sunday was Italy. All goods are insured and we look after stuff like we would look after our own.

dee1968

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 18:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 48 in Discussion

Thx for your kind words everyone pls pls pls keep replying thx in advance

bandieles

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 18:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 48 in Discussion

Hi Dee

Think once think twice and then think again . It will be very difficult for your 16 year old to ajust to life in the TRNC i know of many cases of unhappy expat teenagers .

philbailey

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 48 in Discussion

will the 16 year old find work should be the 1st question i would thiink

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 18:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 48 in Discussion

Living off the interest is fraught with problems now interest rates have dipped in North Cyprus and show no sign of going back up. The cost of living here is rising all the time. Work is very difficult to find, especially at a decent wage. School fees are expensive. I accept you are sick of the UK, but without a reasonable sum of money behind you (the government claims this is not the case or refuses to acknowledge the set sum) you won't get residency.

Don't want to be a party pooper, but tackle the negatives and the positives will be even better.

Tinkie

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 48 in Discussion

First all of welcome to the forum. TRNC is a lovely place to live, there are many kind, friendly people here, the views from almost any where are beautiful and the crime rates are low. However there is very little to do for a 16 year old, jobs are few and far between and further education is not what it is in the UK. Many ex-pats with children between the ages of 12 and 18 have returned to the UK because they feel it is the best thing for their families, a lot of the time the children have returned home to stay with extended families, because they were bored here, missed their friends and couldnt find work here.

I hope that this post does not sound negative, I truly hope that what ever decision you reach will make you all very happy. Best of luck.

Quarmby

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 19:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 48 in Discussion

What ever you do do not burn your bridges. Do not sell your property in the UK. the first couple of years in the TRNC is a holiday ,then the reality will kick in. You may think little of the UK at the moment but understand that there are more returning to the UK than those going to the TRNC, ask yourself why!

The weather is nice but the rest has a lot to be desired.

elkiton

Message Posted:
15/02/2011 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 48 in Discussion

Dee, Some very good advice in this thread.

Yes, I love the North of Cyprus, am very happy here, have no plans to leave, but I am 63 and retired.

I did have ideas of work and small business consultancy to keep the mind active, however the climate here both economic and temperature wise is not favourable to those who must work and bring up children. Of the "broken" families that I have seen return to the UK in my three years here, most are because of teenage children wanting & needing more stimulation, or no living wage coming in. A hot holiday destination is not enough to occupy a young family here full time. Think twice on this before you jump.

TonyE

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
16/02/2011 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 48 in Discussion

There have been a few posts lately similar to this one, all asking the same questions about moving to NC then the poster disappears off the forum, do they ever get there I wonder, does the advice given put them off or make up their minds to go for it?

brother

Message Posted:
16/02/2011 13:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 48 in Discussion

Re. Msg.1: "children 4 and just 16..."

I must say, I would be concerned as to whether I would be providing the best chances of career prospects for my children. As a 16yr old it may be far too much of a sudden cultural and environmental change.

Anyway, "each to their own" as they say

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
16/02/2011 13:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 48 in Discussion

Dee

I really cannot add much to the advice already given on this post. Whilst the thought of a sunny climate, sandy beaches etc may sound idyllic and in direct contrast to what the UK offers, please bear in mind that the TRNC offers none of the safety nets that the UK does. Free education and healthcare are but two of these things. I cannot comment on the cost of education here but needless to say it would not be cheap, unless of course you sent your children to a state school, in which case they would need to learn Turkish. Decent healthcare insurance for a family of 4 would cost you in excess of £2000 per year - again there are state hospitals but for anything outside of emergency treatment there is a cost. Dental care here is good but again it is at a price (even for the kids). The job market is extremely difficult and any work is usually very poorly paid (about £600 per month). Please think long and hard before making your decision.

Good luck

Paul

dee1968

Message Posted:
17/02/2011 11:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 48 in Discussion

Thx for all your posts but it's a great shame we didn't receive any replies from like minded people who r in a similar setup not retired or with children already grown up ! Pls pls if there is anyone out there with children who can give their thoughts and advice we would really appreciate this thx

dee1968

Message Posted:
17/02/2011 11:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 48 in Discussion

She would be sixth form

sylvie

Message Posted:
17/02/2011 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 48 in Discussion

THE ONLY ONE I KNOW ARE TURKISH CYPRIOT COMING FROM UK AFTER YEARS OVER THERE , HAPPY TO COME BACK BUT THEY ARE TCAND IT IS SO MUCH EASIER !

walkerscott

Message Posted:
17/02/2011 20:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 48 in Discussion

Don't depend on the interest rates here remaining as they were. Two years ago they were 16-18% and that was attractive but times have changed.

http://www.no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com

mikea11

Message Posted:
17/02/2011 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 48 in Discussion

We moved back to the UK last October. Luckily we managed to sell our property over there and break even. We still visit regulary to see friends. We still enjoy visiting but after 2 1/2 years it was not for us. That is not to say you may be different. All I would say is think very carefully about moving lock stock and barrel with kids and definately do not burn your bridges in UK. We did and are finding it harder than expected to start again and we are both employed. We agree the UK is not the greatest of places to be at the moment, but running away to another country is not always the answer. What ever you decide to do may I wish you all the best.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 10:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 48 in Discussion

Often, parcels contain 'anticipation value' far in excess of the value of their contents. In the poster's case, my advice would be that their 'TRNC parcel' should be left un-opened, so that their myth can be retained, but the stark reality not experienced!

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 10:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 48 in Discussion

Well done TEN almost "Bard"like

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 10:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 48 in Discussion

Thanx for the back-up, Rob - but how the Hell DO you warn people with 'Utopian aspirations'?!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 10:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 48 in Discussion

....that should have read UNREALISTIC 'Utopian aspirations'.

martinD41

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 48 in Discussion

Ten;..Unfortunately you can't,, I have tried,and constantly been "castigated" in the process,,, "There's non so blind as he who "WILL NOT SEE".........

annie

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 12:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 48 in Discussion

Hi Dee the reason you have not heard from anyone in a similar set up as you is because there may not be anyone. Turkish Cypriots returning to their roots yes lots but their problems would not be the same.

I spoke to a young English lad back in the summer he was 16 waiting on tables. He was a really nice boy very polite and looked happy!!! We got chatting and I said you must love it here, That was when the tears came into is eyes, "I hate it, there is only so much warm weather and the beach do for you after a while"

He said he tried to settle for his Mums sake but after two years was going back to stay with relatives as he said, its not the same as living with his Mum & Dad and little brother but he wanted a better job, friends his own age and interests none of which would be possible here.

They may be hidden away but I could count on one hand the amount of young English people living here.I may be wrong and you will now get lots of reples setting me straight.

Best of luck though

brother

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 00:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 48 in Discussion

Annie's account of the lad (Msg.16) may be the best advice you will get on the matter.

Everyone here probebly agrees that nobody has the right to tell you not to go ahead with your plans to emigrate to KKTC. However, like me, they have all tried very hard to tell you that it may not be such a good idea from one most important perspective - the children's.

Perhaps what this anonymous lad's explanation of how he felt will make you think again.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 09:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 48 in Discussion

I, personally, know of two families who returned to UK due to the lack of education standard/work opportunities/boredom factor suffered by their teenage children in TRNC.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 48 in Discussion

Tenakoutou,re msg 28;

I wander whose fault that would be?

We too have a teenage doughter who is getting ready to return either to uk or ireland (she has not decided yet),but WE came to live here in 'TRNC' with a full knowledge of that.In fact,we also have a 12 year old,who also not going to stay in TRNC for the rest of her life.

Isn't it a shame that this is not UK or New Zealand or Australia..................but TRNC?

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 48 in Discussion

Yorogzlu - your two children don't want to stay here? That is sad. That shows the lack of opportunities offered in the current climate, and I don't think it is to do with the embargoes, more the mismanagement by successive governments.

I came here with my wife for a better life. Within a few days we will be divorced. She loves it here. We have a young boy who is happy here, but we don't know whether we will be able to afford to keep him in private schools here as he gets older. Especially as school fees and the cost of living rises, while my wage doesn't. In fact, it fell last month.

Also, we have a few years of him being happy running around, riding his bike, swimming in the sea, etc

But what happens when he does get to an age where the TRNC, unless big changes are made, offers him more.

It is sad and Dee, you might be wise to think about this. Especially, as one of your children is of that age. Novelty value wears off very quickly.

I, for one, would love to be back in

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 10:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 48 in Discussion

cotd

in the UK. It would offer me much more. More job opportunities, even in the mess the UK is in. More recreational opportunities. Sports, music and a life on a level that would suit me, not the fait accompli that is offered here - and I choose not to get involved in.

Why don't I go? For the moment, my child.

Pogle

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 48 in Discussion

Dee, I am a similar age to you and have a young child ( age 5). We moved out here for a better standard of family life when our daughter was a young baby. The alternative for us was to put her in childcare 12 hours a day and pay half my salary in fees. The early years education here is excellent,Miss Judy's cannot be beaten for children up to 6 years, many of my friends are very happy with the local primary schools which are free. I guess you are aware of the choice after that if you have visited schools with an English Curriculum, the fees plus uniform are over £4,000 per year. Personally I would not bring a teenager to Cyprus, there is nothing for them here and after being exposed to all that the UK has to offer they will find it sadly lacking. If you are determined to give it a go I would rent your home in the UK and come on a try out here as what you see on holiday is not the full picture. What lies beneath is what matters here and you may not like it.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 48 in Discussion

yorgozlu: I suspect that the two couples I mentioned hadn't considered the future needs and wants of their children beyond the 'Sunny Lane' stage. That's not necessarily thoughtless, or selfish - it's just a case of 'Make hay while the sun shines!'

Perhaps I could ask you a question:

If you had the right connections, surely you would be using the 'nepotism channel' that is so used here, then there would be no need for your children to return to UK, they would be 'made' here?

However, I realise that, both North & South, returning Cypriots are about as welcome as us foreigners - in many cases, less so - if that is possible!

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 10:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 48 in Discussion

Tenakoutou, pretty much all the Cypriots who went and built a life elsewhere that I have met returning to the North, have lost loads. Successful businessmen drowned in red tape and regulations that lose them money to fill the pockets of government.

The system is crooked, not the people.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 11:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 48 in Discussion

AnthonySmith;

If it was not for my wife I'd have been back to UK within 6 months of arriving here.But,I put my head down and got on with it so far.However,the childreen are my step childreen,they have no TC blood in them and because of that we are both in full knowledge of them returning back to Uk one day.In the meantime,we do our best to provide the best in our abilities here and so on when they eventualy leave.I do not find TRNC a bad place to live,only boring because of not having much to do.

And because of the reason's you mentioned,I do not want to go into bussiness adventure in TRNC.I do a littler to be able to pay my NI contrubutions here by 'working' for my brother and perhups a little pocket money too if I'm lucky,but above all I do not depend on that yet.

ohhh,before I forget,there are plenty crooks in TRNC whom are not Cypriot as well.I've met a few since being here.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 11:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 48 in Discussion

I take my hat off to any returned Cypriot who manages to survive in business in TRNC!

Let's face it - the governments, past and present, are 'not fit for purpose'.

With very few changes, despite the embargo, this place could be booming.

Why isn't it - lack of trust in the whole system by potential returning Cypriot and foreign investors, coupled with an iniquitous and illogical tax regime?

The government and its overpaid, overstaffed bludgers better hope that Ankara continues to pump in the dosh!

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 11:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 48 in Discussion

I guess we'd never know with 'big brother' breathing on our neck all the time and there is no other opportunities for locals, other working for the government......and we cannot decide for our own future as TRNC.

Roomy

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 48 in Discussion

So I take it that you all wish you had stayed in the UK?

cronos

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 48 in Discussion

Roomy...msg 38

That's a rather sweeping question for a first post !

What's your situation?

Do you live in the TRNC or just have a holiday home?

halffull

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 48 in Discussion

What Annie (message26) forgot was that Lee (the british 16 year old) could also speak Turkish and interact with the local waiters, but the only job he could get was the waitering one (seasonal).

annie

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 12:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 48 in Discussion

Definitely not I love it here Roomy, but the post was specifically about foreigners moving here with a young family, That in my opinion would be a mistake but everyone is entitled to make their choice having hopefully taken everything into consideration.

I am sure nobody on this board would like to see a family torn apart because they rushed into things to quick. If they have sufficient funds to try before they buy that would be best, but a 16 year old coming to a crucial stage of her education and life in general may not be the best time to experiment.

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 48 in Discussion

MSG 38;

Most definately NOT.We came here almost half prepaired.

skyyblue

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 43 of 48 in Discussion

Hi Dee,

There are a lot of families over her with children like ourselves who are getting on very well. We are only answering this today as we are over in the UK in the bad weather and have nothing else to do. The TRNC can offer much more for young families than the uk can. The only people who have replied are ex-pats who have done things the wrong way and have been "burnt" and the majority of people who go on this forum are doom and gloom. We moved over 2 years ago with a very young family. We have a fantasic life in the TRNC. Children excelling in local school. Our children have attended private school and have now moved them to local school but have done well in both. How can life not be great when the sun is shining. Next time you are over pop into our bar in Lapta - LeaDaz Bar and have a chat we have nothing more than praise for the TRNC. Life is beautiful. You will get pro's and cons in any walk of life. Its great having a community spirit again, thats long gone in the uk

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 13:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 44 of 48 in Discussion

Skyblue, nobody is saying it isn't good for "young" children, but Dee has a 16-year-old. That is a different ballgame.

cronos

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 45 of 48 in Discussion

Skyyblue.....you obviously have a vested interest in promoting the TRNC....you have a business to run.

Bad publicity = fewer customers.

However, you should not denounce victims of the TRNC property scandals as simply "having done things the wrong way" and being doom and gloom merchants.

This is an insult to their situation.

Let's hope the TRNC continues to be a Utopia for you and your family.....but please post on here if it doesn't.

Roomy

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 14:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 46 of 48 in Discussion

Looking to move in the next 5 years for early retirement but am reading a lot of negativity here from ex pats who are already in TRNC and seem to be regretting it.

Maybe I should have started a new thread?

cronos

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 14:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 47 of 48 in Discussion

Anything can happen in 5 years.

The world is a volatile place.

I would check on the current situation about 12 months before you intend to move to TRNC......by which time it may no longer be called the TURKISH republic !

halffull

Message Posted:
20/02/2011 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 48 of 48 in Discussion

Roomy, there are lots of happy expats here, most of us avoid this forum's threads where the advocates of nothing but bad appear, but this thread started out as a good question, and in our experience it's not the place to bring a sixteen year old to start a new life,

As a retired couple, as long as you can accept the separation from family, don't get caught in a housing scam. have a big enough pension or investment funds, then it's a great place.

My wife and I retired here and we love it, the only down side is the wife misses the grand kids, but they visit and we see them on skype.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.