North Cyprus Tourist Board - Historical places to visit in North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Historical places to visit in North Cyprus

Historical places to visit in North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

CarlyRose

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 00:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Hello everyone,

I will be visiting North Cyprus again for about the 10th time in just over a weeks time.

I'm really interested in visiting historical places. So far I have visited Salamis,Kyrenia Castle, St. Hliarion and Buffavento Castle(although I nearly passed out through fear driving up those winding narrow roads with no barriers!).

Can anyone recommend any other good places?

Carly

Maz

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 01:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Suggest you go in the Tourist Info Office and get some up to date info. Depends on what you like.

Been to Cinargli Caves? Pretty good for N.Cyprus,. Then there is Kantara Castle; St.Andrews monastery and Safer Burnu, right at the tip, taking in some spots on the Karpaz. Kaleburno has some interesting bits! Oh lots of other places. Depends on what you like. Did you visit St.Barnabus Monastery and Tomkbs of the Kings at Salamis. And I hope you have spent at least a day in Famagusta which is a city of nothing BUT history.

There are some good guide books around, but start with T.I.O, or even surf the net to get info.

Good luc\k and enjoy.

Blackbird

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 01:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

I found the 'Blue House' really fascinating....

I think it is only open to the public at weekends though!

Jeannie

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 01:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

CarlyRose - would agree with Blackbird that the "Blue House"/"Mavi Kosk" (unsure of spelling) is worth a visit. Blackbird - I think it is closed on Mondays only? You'll need to take your passport, as it stands on military land and you'll also need to suspend belief a little when you take the tour, but I'd say go and have a look

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 08:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Several hundreds of hints and ideas for historical places here:

▶ [ http://www.allcusades.com ]. On the home page, click: Large section about Northern Cyprus.

philnles

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 09:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Blue House only closed on Mondays. Have a look on "whats on in Northern Cyprus" Also highly reccomended is the Lefkosia Walk, free, done it 3 times and each time different. Just go to Kyrenia Gate 10.30 a.m Mon,Wed or Friday. You will learn/see loads.

Perry

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 10:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

Hi Carly

Certainly make the trip over to Famagusta - the walled city is really quite something - Othello's Tower is worth a look too (in the Walled city). We also really like Turkish Nicosia. Again - inside the walled city - the mosque (started by Christians - finished by the Ottomans), the area around it, and the Buyuk Han (the original Inn) are really worth seeing.

Have fun.

shrimp

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 12:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

take a torch to Orthellos tower as it can be quite dark in some corners and there are many uneven stones to trip you up, whilst we visited last year two people tripped and one had to be taken to hospital to be stitched......but very interesting and well worth a visit..........

Sandcastle

Message Posted:
18/02/2011 13:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

We love the museum in Kyrinia. Its at the end of the harbour and up some sindy steps. Has the oldest shipwreck in it and many other fab buildings and artifacts.

There is a cave on the new road from Kyrinia to Iskele/Famagusta. It is at the far end and down a good but windy road. When you get there, there is a board with a number on to call for them to open the cave but well worth it.

For a relaxing day, go to Bacheli beach on the Karpas. At the far end of the beach, walk up the rocks and you will find thousands of fossils of fish and shells all over the floor.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.