North Cyprus Tourist Board - Taking wife's car back to UK from North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Taking wife's car back to UK from North Cyprus

Taking wife's car back to UK from North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

OAPete

Message Posted:
21/02/2011 05:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Hi all, just joined the Forum and can't find definitive answers to my questions

We brought the wife's car (an 02 Renault Megan Cab) out via Europe and Turkey last April and for me it was great trip; for my wife it was a bit traumatic! We now have to decide our next move: Do we ship it back via Dolphin? Do we register it in N Cyprus (unsure of costs due to variety of answers to this question). or do I drive it back on my own? (Wife refuses to do return trip) The latter is my preference but; when we hit Turkey on the way out to NC, customs insisted that only wifey could drive the car, as only her name is on the registration doc. We've had the car from new and its value is less than £2000.(Glass's Guide) My questions are: What would it cost to keep the car here? How can I drive it back to the Uk via Turkey if only my wife is supposed to drive it? Your guidance would be most appreciated prior to March 5th when we're flying out to Paradise again. OAPete

slatnumber7

Message Posted:
21/02/2011 07:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

OAPete Hello,

I've done the outward leg a few times but never the return journey. One simple solution might be to change the registered keeper details at your local DVLA and get a certificate on the spot it cost a couple of quid and then present it with your driving docs. at the various borders. I've done this and it works.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
21/02/2011 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

Pete

The only definitive answer to how much it would cost to keep the car here in the TRNC is to go and see Customs in Nicosia. Everything from current value, engine size and fuel type is used to calculate the cost. Any answer that you will receive on here will at best be a WAG (Wild Arsed Guess)

Good luck

Paul

carian

Message Posted:
21/02/2011 11:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Try Dolphin they might be able to ship it back for you, their advert in Cyprus Today says it costs £990 inclusive. Their phone number is 0392 8161031. It might be cheaper and easier than the journey overland.

Some friends have recently shipped a TRNC registered car back to the UK and have had real problems with DVLC/DVLA and wouldn't recommend it, but I don't think there should be a problem for a UK registered car.

wanderer

Message Posted:
21/02/2011 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

We imported my wife car last year 2003 Fiesta 1250 cc petrol cost about £1500 plus RFT

The import tax went up just after but the exchange rate was 2.30 TL ish to the £ now 2.56TL helpful in the import office and saves a fortune in hire cars and after 2 years from official registration you can sell it in the TRNC so if you leave for good you cash in

joandjelly

Message Posted:
21/02/2011 12:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

If the car is not worth that much in UK then I would do what Paul advises and go and see Customs in Lefkosa with your log-book to find out how much import duty will be. It seems silly to spend £1k shipping it back when it might only cost around that to make it legal and then you have a perfectly good car for a relatively small amount of money.

OAPete

Message Posted:
23/02/2011 16:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

thanks to you all for that. I think I'll do as suggested and take it to the customs office for an estimate, then hope that the actual resembles the estimate. What an interesting country this is, it never fails to amaze me!

ruggy

Message Posted:
23/02/2011 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Ring Mehmit, he sorts out all your paper work and will give you a price up front to register it, make sure you tell him you have owned it from new as it is to old to bring in otherwise, (more than 5 years old) he will charge a small fee.

ruggy

Message Posted:
24/02/2011 11:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Sorry Mehmit's number is 0542 851 1396

wanderer

Message Posted:
24/02/2011 12:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

OAPete

when we had ours done the estimate stayed almost the same the only variance was the reduction as the value went down over 6 months

Remember that the price is in £ sterling for value of the car and $ for the engine but paid in TL

So with the TL weakening against Stirling it becomes cheaper

Have the log book and draw their attention to the owner from new bit

Go into the main doors turn left at the end of the corridor and its the door facing you at the end of the corridor

remember the opening times

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
24/02/2011 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

msg 10 cont. (with your permission wanderer);

or call me on a suitable day on 0533 873 9181,and I'll come with you.I do not require payment for my time.More then happy to help if I can.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.