North Cyprus Tourist Board - Taking hire car south - does anyone do this?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Taking hire car south - does anyone do this?

Taking hire car south - does anyone do this?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

Has anyone heard of a successful trip south in a hire car? As in, do they let you? Do the hire companies let you?

I know there was talk that this restriction had been lifted but has anyone actually done it?

simbas

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 08:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

hi groucho , there are so many replies to this question , look under driving directions in popular tags , you will find them there

regards , simbas

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 08:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

Simbas

I can't see the wood for the trees! I don't have the inclination to check them all out....

None of the headings appears to cover hire cars from the north, which were barred until recently... i.e. the GCs would not allow hire cars over.

I just want someone to say... yes we did it - or no, we tried it and were turned back - or no, the hire companies would not agree to it...

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

PS I don't want directions! I've driven south so often that I could be a Nicosia taxi driver, if I could only learn to make the crazy manoeuvres!

rigsby

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

I have seen Norh hire car coming back through metehan crossing only last week.Could not get close enough to ask the driver how he done it.

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 09:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

I will repeat earlier comments Groucho.

Friend owns a car rental company and theirs and all other companies contracts clearly state that the rental cars are for use in TRNC ONLY!!!

If you take car over, and it is easy to do, and something goes wrong you are on your own. Also rental company will black list you with all other companies in TRNC.

Friend did see a car at Metehan a few weeks ago and the person was been given real grief on GC side. Was highly amused, took car details and passed them to owning company for good measure.

Take a chance if you wish, above are the facts of the case.

In reallity, the rental companies cannot afford the extra insurance to allow their cars to go south, most already only have third party cover anyway. A fact most ignore when they hire that "cheap" car. Also they all still have no faith in result of any breakdown or other incident with GC authorities, garages etc.

Afraid it is the same with many things here, a lot of British people leave their thinking heads at home doing things they would never dream of in UK or other holiday destinations. Consequences, what consequences of having no insurance, yet I would guarantee those same people will be criticising the driving of locals, no seat belts, children unrestrained etc.

Hope that answers most of your questions G.

David

Groucho

Message Posted:
21/09/2008 10:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Thanks David... I thought as much...

For Car Rental companies to only have third party... is as I expected

Chrys

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 16:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

I run a car rental consortium and ensure that all my associates have their cars fully insured, not only third party. I do however agreee that a lot of companies on the island do only have 3rd party cover but do not mention it.

We are having disussion for next year regarding letting rental cars go to the South, it is a problem regarding insurance (which would be payable by the client) but only third party is available at the moment for the South and we would not like any of our customers to have to foot a large bill.

If you would like me to keep you informed please contact me on chryscyprus@hotmail.co.uk

lovingcyprus

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 19:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

David,

Your last but one paragraph in your posting (6)above is very very true and when something awful happens they will always blame someone else.

Treesy

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 19:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

My dad recently visited the island and rented a car from Larnaca airport which he was able to bring over to the North - he did have to pay the extra insurance though.

I don't know the name of the company but he found it on the internet - he didn't find any North rental companies willing to let him take a car south side.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

The name of the car hire company is Cyprus Car Hire, I hired a Zafira off them for 4 weeks this summer to stay in Alsancak. It cost 1400 euros. Here's the link, read the bit about taking a car to the north.

http://www.cyprus-car.com/rental.asp

Lem

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 23:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

Just an added thought of south to north hire. The cover again is only third party unless expressly stated by hirer.

If you have a major incident you WILL be liable for any costs. Double check. Would you hire a car in UK, Europe or USA with third party only cover????? I think not!

Not wanting to wish bad on anyone but the day a major incident happens will be the day the internet will be plastered with all the things we have been saying all this time.

An addition for north to south bearing in mind the comments of Chrys, it is not just the insurance cover but many of the hirers will never take the risk of cars going south to break down. They will potentially find that they cannot get their vehicles back easily and in mean time the vehicle will be vandalised. Wreckers are currently not allowed to go south without majot hassle. Imagine the charge then of an RoC wrecker trying to repatriate that vehicle and you have to pay.

Lemtich

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 23:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

Hi David

The way I see it is, yes you only have 3rd party insurance in the north if you hire in the south but you are covered by a Collision Damage Waiver by the southern hire company. If you do have a crash in the north, what you are looking at is the cost of the vehicle back across the Metehan crossing. Once its back in the ROC, the CDW kicks in. As for injuries to driver and passengers in the hired vehicle, these should be covered by any decent holiday insurance policy.

Regards

Lem

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 23:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

Lem,

Being largely hypothetical on this issue to hopefully get the point across. You have identified the holiday insurance but how many people travelling independantly do not have any or adequate cover.

If I get even one person to think before they act it will be worthwhile.

Hope all is well on that other island.

David

Laptalocal

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 12:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

Hi Groucho, I looked in to this a couple of weeks ago and visited 5 car hire companies. I got various replies from each of them including 'No, it is illegal to take a hire car in to the South'. However, there is a hire company in Alsancak, that said that they DO hire cars to go South and that they just issue a form (which you hand in at Metahan) stating that they give permission for their car to be taken across. Apparently you must go across before 3pm as the police have to do a check on it, but the hirer said it was no problem. If you want their details, pls just let me know and I will email you.

p.s. The downside to this though, was that they would only do a minimum hire of 3 days.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 13:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

Lem - Holiday Insurance

a] Cyprisishome is right I have a fight every time I sell a flight to make sure the client is covered and I know most are not! Very, very silly in my opinion.

b] If you are not travelling in a "legitimate" vehicle or are outside your contract or the law the chances are your Travel Insurance will not cover you for anything at all.

So be careful - have a look at either of the insurers on our web site and check their terms very carefully.

info@flightholiday.co.uk

jakki

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 13:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Our friends have a villa in the South - they recently saw a Greek hire car and on the back it read 'If you take this car to the North - we will kill you' - What do you think about that!!!!

flightholiday

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 13:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

Friendlier than offering dismemberment while alive?

sylvie

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 15:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

laptalocal,

can you let me know which company allow you to go to the south with a hired care from the north - can you e-mail me, please -

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
09/10/2008 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Just a repeat again, plus confirmation really from Chys above.

They may give you permission but if you go over YOU ARE NOT INSURED!!!!!! No car hire company has insurance for driving in the south, they cannot afford to get cover. The cover given at crossing point is third party only.

I know this is a stuck record, but it really seems that people leave there thinking heads at home when they come here.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.