North Cyprus Tourist Board - How difficult is it to work in TRNC?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > How difficult is it to work in TRNC?

How difficult is it to work in TRNC?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Lucie

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 14:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

We are moving to TRNC end of April.

I have an ethiopian friend who would like to come and work in North Cyprus. She is a qualified tailor and does incredible hand embroidery.

Is this going to be possible? I hear its really hard to get permission to work and get a job?

philnles

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 14:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Illegal to work here without work permit, you are likely to be deported if caught working without one. The government here do not want any foreigners to work here, ideally you should have enough savings to get by. What work there is is poorly paid compared to UK wages. Sorry not to give you good news.

Lucie

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Thanks, thats helpful.

How do the Pakistani workers manage to get permits? Are they hired directly from their home country? I suppose there would be an agency that finds them?

Deniz1

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Most of the pakistani workers here work in restaurants owned by family.

martinD41

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 21:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

It's not difficult to work , but it is very costly to get found out !!!

Maz

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 00:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

It is said that the government is trying to cut right back on international workers, but of course if it can be proved that you can do a job for which a suitable national cannot be found, then you could try to get a work permit. However, you have to have a person for whom you are working

The other possibility is to set yourself up in business (consult an accountant or lawyer) but that is costly as one has to lodge large sums of money and have a TCpartner.

If you were a student you would be allowed to seek work for 20 hbours a week, but the pay is terrible. But then something is always better than nothing.

When you say 'we' does that mean your family, and are you coming to work or retire? And the Ehtiopian is that a young person or what? There could be answers, but you need to bear the above in mind and ask around a bit more. That's what I reckon.

Lucie

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

Yes, 'we' means me and my family , not retiring my husband will still be working overseas.

Our Ethiopian friend is female and 25yrs, she hasn't got enough school leaving education to go to the Uni, though she is smart, maybe she needs to go back to Ethiopia to get a better level of education, but that means her family looses the income it gets now.

If she could get involved in a business at base level she could learn as she went and work her way up. Difficult to find opportunities like that for people.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.