North Cyprus Tourist Board - Is freedom of speech allowed in Northern Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Is freedom of speech allowed in Northern Cyprus

Is freedom of speech allowed in Northern Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

newlad

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 20:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

http://www.cyprus-mail.com/cyprus/threats-against-afrika-condemned/20110228

Its disgraceful that a reporter is not able to voice an opinion,without being threatened with his life,

Paul.

martinD41

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 20:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Paul...,Four US presidents were killed for voicing their opinions????So your Point is??

Zoots

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

Thanks Paul. Not at all unusual for the TRNC. If a bunch of expat geriatrics aren't allowed to have a peaceful demo what do you think the fascists have to say about journalists?

This bit grabbed me:

>>In July 1996, Turkish Cypriot journalist and writer Kutlu Adali, a strong critic of the practices and policies of Turkey and the ‘TRNC’ was gunned down outside his home.

Adali had argued that Cyprus should not be divided and that Turkish and Greek Cypriots should live in a united republic based on a pluralist democratic system.

His wife has said that her husband had received several death threats because of his articles and political opinions.<<

The Turkish authorities were condemned at the time for not investigating this murder. Still, why should they bother when one of their own agents was probably the killer?

newlad

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 21:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Re mess 2,

Two wrongs dont make a right.My point is that people should be able to voice an opinion

without being threatened with their life.Hardly on the same scale as America,though is it.

Are you condoning the fact that four presidents where gunned down,

Paul.

martinD41

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

"NO" Paul of course not , Simply saying its hardly a WORLD crisis that a reporter is threatened ,when you consider the other atrocities in the world ....It pales into insignificance >>>.

philbailey

Message Posted:
28/02/2011 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

think you should ask Mr Davey his thread even got closed on here

yunus

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 03:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Dr. David Kelly was a United Nations weapons inspector in Iraq.

After telling Her Majesties Government there were no weapons of mass destruction (WMD) in Iraq. He told David Broucher, a former British Ambassador. "I will probably be found dead in the woods."

When he was found dead in the woods Tony Blair was asked.

“Have you got blood on your hands.” Blair refused to answer.

http://www.sxolsout.org.uk/zal.html

lovinit

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 07:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

Interesting article Yunus, I had not read it befor, my take on this is there is far more going on in this world than the general Populous will ever be aware of. In this case for 70 years, this certainly smacks to me of cover up, murder and what ever else our Government of the time wished to hide.

Thank God I never wanted to be involved directly in politics, although we are all indirectly involved!!

I never cease to be amazed by the workings of our so called government/MI5/MI6 and all the other spooks they have secreted away in whithall.

It remains to be seen, if it is a good idea to be involved in any so called fact finding missions of behalf of HRH goverment of the people UN or any other organisation for that matter!!

Mr Blair, well what can I say, I will not be around when all the secrets he has locked away come into the open in 50/70 plus years time.

Do we learn from the mistakes of the past, certainly not in my experence......................

pollymarples

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 08:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

wHEN i GET MY LAP TOP BACK I will believe it is.

newlad

Message Posted:
01/03/2011 21:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Martin,

I can assure you,being threatened is an awful experience.The late night calls,the checking the

street,before you venture out.But most of all,worrying about the welfare of your family.It matters

not whether you are a two bit journalist in Northern Cyprus,or the president of the United states.

Eveyone has feelings,

Paul.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.