North Cyprus Tourist Board - Importing Cars into TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Importing Cars into TRNC

Importing Cars into TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

ive@karsiyaka

Message Posted:
23/09/2008 15:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

Is it possible to import a car into the TRNC from the UK if less than 3 years old,

but has a higher purchase aggrement on the vehicle.

Regards Ivan. Has anyone done this without complications.

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/09/2008 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

i did meet a guy who was doing an insurance fraud a couple of years ago. buying on hp in the uk then bringing the car to the trnc, going back to the uk then claiming it had been stolen. the insurance paid up and he was quids in until he got caught.

check what your hp agreement says! the car is not fully yours until you have paid in full.

you may have problems with the export of it regarding dvla as you will have to tell them that you are exporting it. hence they may contact the finance company.

ive@karsiyaka

Message Posted:
23/09/2008 18:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Not a scame my friend have a car on finance rather than selling I wanted to take the car to the TRNC FOR PERSONAL USE WHILST i AM OUT THERE THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ANYWAY.

Laptalocal

Message Posted:
23/09/2008 19:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Ive, no you can't do this. The car is still property of the finance company until all payments have been made and you cant export it out of the country whilst there is money owing. In order to export you need to inform DVLA and if the hire company knew that it had been exported you would then probably be charged with theft/fraud (even if you kept up with the payments).

fire starter

Message Posted:
23/09/2008 19:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

ive, sorry you took this post the wrong way.

i didn't mean you were intending to do it. i was just pointing out that you may have a problem due to this sort of stuff happening before.

if you intend to keep the car here on a permanant basis i would say don't do it.

customs will give you one tax price when you make enquires then once the car gets here they will up it to stupid amounts.

we brought our car three years ago the quote was 7k ,once the car was here they demanded 12k. we had no choice but to pay. daylight robbery and every trick in the book.

settle the finance,sell or leave the car in the uk and find a decent garage here and buy one .

ive@karsiyaka

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 14:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

No problem firestarter didnt want you to think I was some kind of fraudster

Ive

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
24/09/2008 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

The only definitive answer you can accept is from the finance company. Afraid any comments on these forums will be purely speculative.

So for my twopennorth - I would suggest the finance company will not allow you to take the car out of the UK. I am sure you will have a contract with lots of small print and it will be there somewhere.

pussycatuk

Message Posted:
25/09/2008 00:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Our car was originally on HP. We contacted the finance company and told them what we wanted to do and they changed the loan to a personal one so the car was not affected by it. So now when checks are done the HP is paid off.

Jo Valentine

Message Posted:
25/09/2008 01:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

Hello

I don't really like 'posting' anything about cars, as it's usually out-of-date by the time it gets to page two!

You cannot take a vehicle that is subject to an HP agreement out of the UK for more than 28 days, so by the time the ship docks the time is up. Vehicle details have to be notified in advance of shipping so anything with finance outstanding can be 'pulled' before it sails. But you can do it with the permission of the Finance Company who may, as suggested above, change the arrangement from HP to a loan.

If you bought your vehicle on HP, even though as far as you know all payments have been made, it is still wise to have an HPI check done.

Please contact me if you need more help.

Jo Valentine

http://www.jamesvalentineremovals.co.uk

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
25/09/2008 11:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

The reason HP companies do not like cars to leave the UK is potential theft.

Just been reminded on another BB of someone who brought a 4x4 that was on HP, exchanged for another smaller vehicle here then moved on with basically a free vehicle!!!!!!!

There you are a good scam for you! LOL

fire starter

Message Posted:
25/09/2008 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

its always wise to hpi a car before buying it. hpi tells all ..(most of the time)

its a shame that they don't have such a system in the trnc! along with a glass's guide lol!

hookster66

Message Posted:
14/06/2010 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

hello there...i wonder if you might help me...

long story, but possibly being duped by the same guy.....do you remember what he looked like?? or any other info on him getting caught? or who might know?...desperate to find out

harita

Message Posted:
14/06/2010 13:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

A friend has a small Vitara in the UK .. It is a "W" 1999/2000 registered ..

She has owned this vehicle for approx the last 7 years ..

What are the implications of bringing this to the TRNC .. If it is possible .. Would it be viable ..

Any ideas on costs etc ..

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
15/06/2010 02:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

harita;

That'd depend how long your friend has been living in TRNC for.

Any person that has lived in TRNC for less then 360 days in the last 2 years is classed as visitor,regardless of their nationality.Therefor,you could import your own vehicle as long as it is less then 3 years of age or if older,it must have been in your name no less then 5 years.Under those circumtances,you could even keep the car on the island without having to pay the import duties for up tp a year.

However,if the person does not feet in above,been here longer then 360 days in the last 2 years or longer,the vehicle must be no older then 3 years and duties must be paid on arrival.

If you need any more info or help e-mail me off board or ring if you still have my no.

Regards

wanderer

Message Posted:
15/06/2010 06:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

Yorgozlu

I've e-mailed you off forum with a couple of questions

Bob

Shogun

Message Posted:
15/06/2010 17:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

All of the above makes it appear its just not worth it! I am coming out in September for at least a year, hopefully I might stay as I am retiring then.

If you pay that much tax why not just buy a car there? Is there some reason for this? Can you not just buy a car when you arrive?

What would I have to pay for an average 1200cc hatch there, how much is road tax?

Are there any L-O-N-G term rentals there? What would I pay to rent for same time?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.