North Cyprus Tourist Board - Travelling to Larnaca with us passport, then crossing border to north
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Travelling to Larnaca with us passport, then crossing border to north

Travelling to Larnaca with us passport, then crossing border to north

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

» Driving Directions from Larnaca Airport to Kyrenia

zealgalore

Message Posted:
04/03/2011 20:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 13 in Discussion

Hi,

I am visiting family in June (they live in Beirut, Lebanon) and then I'm hoping to be able to see a friend of mine who lives on the N. side of Cyprus. She said that I can probably fly into Larnaca, and then she'll have a friend pick me up (not sure if she meant from the border, or from Larnaca airport) and then drive me 30 minutes north. I have many questions like, 1) do I need a visa if I carry a US passport to enter Larnaca? 2) what kind of paperwork do I need to cross the border? 3) can someone from the N. cross the border and meet me south at the airport- if not, what are my transportation options and 4) how difficult will it be for me to reverse the trip in 5 days and go back to south cyprus and fly back out to Beirut?

Any help would be appreciated.

Zeal

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
04/03/2011 21:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 13 in Discussion

Your passaport is enough to all.

Enjoy your time over.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
04/03/2011 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 13 in Discussion

Zeal

Yorg is right of course, you can book a North Cyprus Taxi to pick you up at Larnaca. Get your freind to sort it for you.

As Yorg says

Have a great time

H

zealgalore

Message Posted:
04/03/2011 23:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 13 in Discussion

Great... thank you.. Will they stamp my passport at the border, and will i have any trouble going back south? Also, can you please tell me how far the airport is from the border? approximate cost? Currency is Euro? I'd have to exchange some funds (I never use Euros), or can I use $USD? Thanks a bunch. You guys are better the consulate, ha ha ha... (who has not responded back yet).

Zeal.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
04/03/2011 23:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 13 in Discussion

They are unlikely to stamp your passport as they issue you with a paper visa on entry and stamp that instead.

Even if they do stamp your passport you wouldn't have any trouble going South again, just mind the strict duty free allowances.

As to how far is it to the crossing, it depends on which one you are going to. I am based just outside Famagusta when in TRNC so I cross at the Famagusta or Pyla crossings. Both are less than 30 minutes from Larnaca. If you are going to Kyrenia or Nicosia then you would use another crossing and I am afraid, never having done it, that I don't know the times. I would be suprised if it is more than an hour.

The currency is Turkish Lira. In emergency many places will take Euro or US dollar. Use an ATM to get currency once you are here.

Harold

zealgalore

Message Posted:
05/03/2011 07:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 13 in Discussion

Thank you so much... I'm kinda new to this and although it's scary not to know, it's doable.

I will probably need to take a taxi from Larnaca to Nicosia and then my friend will meet me at the check point on the Turkish side. my plane will be landing after 10 pm to larnaca, and I don't know that there are any buses at that time.

- Do cars take you all the way to the check point or would I have to walk too far?

- Any idea how much that might run me in $us or Euro and how far it is? Sorry to be asking too many questions (just want to be prepared is all).

I truly appreciate your help if you or someone else might know.

Zeal

gazmufc78

Message Posted:
05/03/2011 08:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 13 in Discussion

Hi, not quite sure of the distance from Larnaca to Nicosia but it takes about 45 mins. you can arrange to have a taxi pick you up at Larnaca airport and take you to your final destination. I book with a company called A-ONE rent a car and the cost is approx 80 dollars(50 pounds). They will probably want to be paid in sterling though. See link below

: http://www.aone-cyprusrentacar.com

email: aone.rentacar@yahoo.comtr

hope this helps.

have a nice holiday! Steve

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
05/03/2011 08:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 13 in Discussion

It is more then likely that your friend'll pick you up direct from Larnaca airport.

It is probably best to speak/contact your friend before arranging anything.

kaiserphil

Message Posted:
05/03/2011 16:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 13 in Discussion

You should have no problem. My American partner entered TRNC in January on a US passport without difficulty.

zealgalore

Message Posted:
05/03/2011 18:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 13 in Discussion

My friend lives in the north and said that she can't cross the border... Do people from the north cross to the south to go to airports?

LondonCypriot

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 02:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 13 in Discussion

If you come from An Eu member state or are a native Turkish Cypriot than you can cross to the South. However if you are from Turkey or live out side the EU you are not able to enter the South without the visa paper work.

Europeans and native Turkish Cypriots do use the South Airports as well as the North Airports. Greek Cypriots use the North Airport - Ercan - ECN as it is quicker to fly to Turkey.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 09:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 13 in Discussion

Hi zealgalore - welcome to the board !

As a US citizen you DO require a Visa to enter the Republicof Cyprus - but it is granted at the port of entry - (say) Larnaca airport.

IF you enter via an unrecognised port of entry ( say- Ercan / Tymbou airport) - in the 'north' and try to cross south over the UN 'green line' - do NOT call it a 'border' when in the 'rump' RoC - unless you want a history lesson ! You may be refused entry as LC has said as you are a Visa national attempting to enter via without the valid RoC stamp !

Folks travelling with US passports N-S don't normally get hassle if they are with their EU passport holding partners.... but from what you say - you won't have this 'right'

*I'd* advice entering Cyprus via Larnaca / Paphos and you can leave via 'the north' for your onward journey if you wish.

cont

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 09:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 13 in Discussion

You can get a bus to Nicosia and then a taxi to one of two crossing points.. if your friend is picking you up via car - I'd recommend you cross at Ayios Dometios - known as Metahan (sp?) on the 'Turkish' side.

To Nicosia : http://www.kapnosairportshuttle.com/

Within Nicosia ( 'south') - you can take take the 23/26 bus route to the Ay.Dometios crossing point

http://www.nicosiabuses.com.cy/routes.html

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.