North Cyprus Tourist Board - Lapta Free Newspaper
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Lapta Free Newspaper

Lapta Free Newspaper

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Lapta town

» Follow North Cyprus News with Cyprus44 News

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 09:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

I have complained twice to Lapta about their free newspaper but they still deliver it. I don't know where they put it because I find it scattered around the garden. Within a week I usually find those from my immediate upwind neighbour's houses (both unoccupied) also scattered around my garden. Considering the number of usually empty holiday homes in Lapta I would presume that this causes a significant increase in the rubbish problem.

For me the thing is pointless being written entirely in Turkish - despite a very large percentage of Lapta's ratepayers not being Turkish speakers. However, I gather it is intended for voters as it has a strong political bias.

Has anyone found a way to stop them delivering it ??

nostradamus

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 17:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

I really don't think that the Belediye would be able to sort out which houses belonged to foreigners who may or may not be in residence - how the hell would they know?. I'm a foreigner but I'm quite happy to get it delivered to me. In spite of my rubbish Turkish, it doesn't appear to be heavily political. There are articles about local people and the various projects that the Belediye are involved with as well as general items about health etc. It seems to me to be a good thing. According to the most recent edition, this paper is also being produced for Alsancak, Catalkoy and Girne with their own local content. Is there anything at all that the foreign residents here don't find to complain about?

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 17:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

nostradamus

I agree. I receive the Alsancak version and it has provided me with a lot of information that I probably would not have known about otherwise. Although my Cypriot/Turkish reading skills are basic I can always get one of my neighbors to translate. If people do not want a litter problem then have a post box fitted to/in the vicinity of your front gate.

hattikins

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 17:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Just pick them up and put them in a bin or bin bag, that's not a problem surely. For Gods sake, we live in a Turkish speaking country so why should they print the paper in English,anything else you would like the TC,s to change for you ?

Poodledog

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

Hey Hattikins - get off your high horse. Forgetting about the rubbish element to this, the Lapta paper appears to be a good informative publication, but as I don't speak any Turkish and don't have any Turkish neighbours that could translate for me, it would be useful if some, if not all, of the stories therein had an English translation alongside the original Turkish. I am sure the ex-pat community would like to be aware of what "their council" is doing and maybe become more involved. After all, for most of us, this is now our home too. Before this posting and since receiving the latest copy of the paper, I am proposing to visit the council offices next week to see if there is a chance of some of the content being translated!

Blackbird

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 19:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

What - a paper written in Turkish in TRNC???

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
06/03/2011 19:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

as far as i remember the uk council don't print local local papers in turkish and as for rate payers as you put it the very high percentage are turkish so get your facts straight

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
07/03/2011 08:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

OK - I was a bit grumpy when I started this and I gracefully back down. However:-

1. I do wish they would not deliver it to clearly unoccupied properties.

2. As Poodledog put it better than me, it would be nice if at least a couple of pages of the the more important stuff could be in English.

3. berkeh2001 - UK councils do not print in Turkish - but they often do in Urdu, Punjabi, Hindi and any other languages with a significant representation in their area. They do this so that foreign residents can feel part of the community.

4. berkeh2001 - I don't deny that majority are Turkish speakers but in Lapta at least there is a significant percentage of non-Turkish ratepayers.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/03/2011 08:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

RE msg 3, AJ: 1 : Where can I buy a post box?

2 : I've never seen the "Alsancak version" - can people from the outskirts (Yeşiltepe) pick up a copy somewhere in Alsancak? Is it a weekly?

3 : It must not be so difficult to organise summaries in English of the different versions (uploaded on this board). Or maybe better: send summaries to interested people on a mailing list.

4 : Let's not complain about the paper being in Turkish, let's do something. Anyone interested to help setting up such a service for the expat (mainly British) community?

nostradamus

Message Posted:
07/03/2011 09:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

DC: they had a pile of them in Alsancak Belediye offices when I was in there the other day. The paper is monthly by the way.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/03/2011 10:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

Thanks nostradamus (msg 10) - I'll pick up a copy.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.