North Cyprus Tourist Board - North West car crossing points
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > North West car crossing points

North West car crossing points

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

jahwobbler

Message Posted:
07/03/2011 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 16 in Discussion

I'm planning my first trip to Cyprus, hiring a car and staying in Larnaca, Limassol and Coral bay before heading to Kyrenia. Is it possible to carry on north from Coral bay and cross the border near Guselyurt or would I have to go back the way I came and head for Metehan?

Maz

Message Posted:
07/03/2011 23:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 16 in Discussion

yES, YOU CAN, but I warn you that it is a bit of a mountain road. Very scenic, but could take you longer. Depends on your priority.

Or you migbht find it interesting to go on over beyond Coral Bay to the even newer crossing at the far end.

I assume you are hiring a car that you can bring across?

jahwobbler

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 00:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Maz

I'm using http://www.cyprus-car.com . got the link from a post on here. Best email them and check I guess.

I've only hired a 1300cc but only me to pull. I'm looking to set off from Coral bay in the morning and be in Kyrenia by latest 4 in the afternoon. Possible? Do you mean farthest west as 'far end'? Is this coastal / flatter?

Maz

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 16 in Discussion

No need to double check with Cyprus-Car, that is the one company oine would recommend.

If you are coming to Kyrenia from Coral Bay, I would personally be tempted to come from Coral Bay on the fast road from Paphos to Limassol, styaing on the motgorway and on to Nicosia and then cross at Metehan.

That might take you about 3 hours , even with a 1300cc car.

Whynot ask the Car hire company when you pick up the car (or e mail them now) cos they are the experts . The company from which you have hired has both GC| and TC interests, so are very much experts . They know far more than I do.

You could always take the scenic route back. Depends on your priority. Also you don't say what time of year, so the matter of daylight hours comes into it. How long will you stay in Kyrenia? But enjoy!

jahwobbler

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 14:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 16 in Discussion

Hi Maz

I will contact the car hire co about the route.

I'm arriving this sunday (13th) , and having a look around the south , larnaca > limmasol > paphos , then to the north for my second week. Just thought carrying on north from paphos would make a good circuit rather than going back.

Thanks for your help

ianwfs

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 16:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 16 in Discussion

Having done the journey in both directions, there's very little in it time-wise, although the M/way would be more relaxing. Personally I prefer the "lumpy" route.

From Coral Bay take the road to Polis, and continue along the coast to Kato Pyrgos. The route is quite flat, apart from where you have to divert inland to avoid going through Erinkoy. The maps can be a bit confusing, as some of them still show the main road passing through Erinkoy, but in fact the road only goes one way, so go with the flow.

Journey time from Polis to Kato Pyrgos will be a little over an hour. From the crossing point, follow signs to Guzelyurt, which is about another hour. From there, unless you are travelling at peak times, ignore the signs for Kyrenia, but instead take the Nicosia road to the Gonyeli roundabout. (It's a bit longer, faster, and avoids some twisty climbs)

Don't worry about engine size. I have a 950, and it copes well. This route also lets you stop for a break, which you can't do on the M/w

Maz

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 16 in Discussion

Enjoy 'wobbler'. Message 6 says all that I did not say. Very much the country/real Cyprus route, and with plenty of places to stop off for a cuppa and a sea view etc. The other way is more relaxing but lots of road/tarmac and little else to see. But if you listen to the radio it can pass comfortably. Depends what you want to do.

Anyway, whatever your choice - ENJOY.

jahwobbler

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 16 in Discussion

Many thanks ianwfs and Maz. Looking forward to being over your way!

Marion

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 01:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 16 in Discussion

So is Wobbler going to meet up with any of us on this Forum. It owuld be good to put a face to a shaky name! And where are you staying so we can all come and meet you? Or do we sound too scary???

sunshinelady

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 01:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 16 in Discussion

Hey Jahwobbler (lovin the name) I am also doing a very similar thing at the beginning fo April with my son, as staying coral bay first then heading North and staying there....so would be interested in your feed back please...thank you and have fun..

jahwobbler

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 14:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 16 in Discussion

Seems there could be an issue buying Insurance at the Kato Pyrgos crossing - anybody know if that's possible?

Be glad to buy any contributor here a drink in JK's Lapta on Sat afternoon, that is if I'm not stuck somewhere in Troodos range or Paphos forest. I'll button hole a flower in my jean jacket for the occasion.

Sure, I'll post feedback.

ianwfs

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 16 in Discussion

It's about 3 months since I was there, but there was an insurance office then. It only kept "office hours", though.

Marion

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 23:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 16 in Discussion

Would love to meet you, but events already fixe din Kyrenia mean I can't be at Lapta. Hope that several people take you up on the offer, and maybe the rest of us can mdeet somewhere, someother time. Enjoy!

jahwobbler

Message Posted:
20/03/2011 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 16 in Discussion

Well, had a good run around the South, East of Larnaca, Limassol and the Troodos. Was lucky to see the Troodos Ski club having a Giant Slalom race. 20 at the coast then all that snow - amazing. After a couple of nights in Coral bay, went North from Pafos and crossed at Kato Pyrgos. No probs buying Insurance, all went smoothly. The journey was interesting with flat and some v hilly sections.

Thanks to all

joaque

Message Posted:
06/04/2011 10:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 16 in Discussion

hello,

how is the actual status of the road between Kato Pyrgos to Yeşilırmak? holes or so?

spanna

Message Posted:
06/04/2011 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 16 in Discussion

Hi - we did a week or two ago - it's all brand new... great roads, beautiful scenery, posh new crossing point!

Highly recommend it...

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.