North Cyprus Tourist Board - Dog Groomer moving to North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Dog Groomer moving to North Cyprus

Dog Groomer moving to North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 11:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 42 in Discussion

Hi I am a qualified Dog Groomer, soon to be moving to the area. I am also a qualified Nursery Nurse are either of these careers in demand in North Cyprus?

Is it hard to work?

My husband will happily put his hand to anything, but I am worried about my daughter who is 23. Can you work in the South and commute everyday? She would like to train as a wedding planner, although she is a qualified Beautician.

newlad

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 11:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Parkes,

Good luck with your venture,hope all works out for you and your family.Lots of dog lovers in

Northern Cyprus,not sure though if a grooming service is already available.Someone on here

will put you right.There will be no problem with your daughter commuting.Best of luck,

Paul.

martinD41

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 11:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 42 in Discussion

Very best of luck,and Welcome to CY44

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 11:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 42 in Discussion

What about your 15 yr old Son, will there be enough for him to do and will he be able to make new friends.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 12:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 42 in Discussion

Our 16 year old son has just left Sunny Lane School and couldn't wait to go back to the UK. He's been here since he was 11.

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 12:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 42 in Discussion

Hi, thanks Newlad and Martin for you reply, I feel welcome all ready. Woodspeckie my son is very laid back and very friendly, he will have no problem making friends, he is really looking forward to the move.

My daughter is not sure whether to train as a wedding planner over here in the UK first or to train in Cyprus, any thoughts anyone.

I am coming over next week to open a bank account and look at some rentals etc.

TRNCVaughan, why is your son unhappy in Cyprus?

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 12:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 42 in Discussion

Doesn't speak enough Turkish, didn't have many friends outside school, no job prospects, no proper further education or vocational training here.

Hope you son enjoys TRNC more than my son did.

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 13:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 42 in Discussion

Parkes82UK

Sorry to put a bit of a dampener on your post but you really need to be aware that it is extremely difficult, some would say nigh on impossible to find 'legal' employment here. The government has just introduced a law that states that work permits will not be granted to 'foreigners' who wish to take up 'skilled' employment and that non-skilled job opportunities have to be offered to TC's first.

If being able to survive financially in the TRNC is dependant upon you working, then you might wish to think again. Sorry to sound so negative, but I wouldn't wish you to make the leap of faith in moving here only to find that you are unable to enjoy a decent standard of living.

Best of luck

Paul

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 42 in Discussion

Hi TRNCVaughan, I am really sorry it didn't work for your son. Are you still in Cyprus or have you moved back to the UK? You sound unhappy and miserable. Isn't life what you make it?

England is still in the recession, people are losing their jobs, cost of living has shot through the roof. There are many many businesses and shops closing down.

People can't afford the payments on their mortgages but no-one can afford to sell either so the market is stale.

I work for Tesco and they have made a huge profit but they are still getting rid of people and cutting costs here and there, it certainly isn't all happiness and light here!

Petrol is now 30.99 per litre!

Could your son not learn Turkish?

We are renting our property out here, but we intend to stay in Cyprus a good 2 years before we make our minds up.

We're calling it a 2 year gap!

Tesco are allowing us career breaks so all our pensions and shares etc freeze, all 3 of us work there, so we are a little bit secure.

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 13:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Paul, we are not reliant on working but I would like to as I always have. I intend to Dog Groom when possible and microchip. I would be able to help out at KAR in any way possible.

People always put in negative info and never positive! Come on guys there must be something good about Cyprus, everyone is so glum, is it really that bad?

Surely you should be encouraging people to make the move to help the economy.

Meerkat

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 14:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 42 in Discussion

Have you thought of being a mobile dog groomer I am sure you would do really well, as do mobile hairdressers. You could also do the microchip at the same time. Good luck with your new life.

juliamoons

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 14:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 42 in Discussion

I would say you could make a fortune with the dog grooming. We have 2 small Cyprus Terriers who always require trimming especially through the summer. If we use our vets to trim them it costs 60 tl each which I think is too expensive. But there are other groomers available that charge around 35 tl each.

Good idea to rent. I think you will find somewhere suitable and vastly reduced rents lately. Good luck with your venture.

Julia

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 42 in Discussion

Parkes82UK

Sorry if my post was not the 'happy clappy' post that you hoped for - I was just being honest. As I said in my previous post, to work here legally is almost impossible. If you want to try and work on the 'black market' then that is your choice but please be aware that if you are caught the punishments are harsh and can even lead to deportation. Most of the vets provide a dog grooming and microchipping service, you could try there but please ensure that you are 'legal' in every sense of the word.

As to encouraging people to move here, only the individual concerned can make that choice and before making it should investigate thoroughly every aspect of living here full time, including cost of living, cost of education, healthcare etc etc. I am sure that you have done so, but many do not and live to regret their decision.

On a happy note, the sun shines here a lot and there are some very good restaurants and beaches

Paul

the butler

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 14:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 42 in Discussion

I think a mobile dog groomer would be a good idea. We have a Westie and he needs regular trimming and grooming throughout the year. So good luck with your new venture.

The butlers wife

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 15:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 42 in Discussion

Hi The Butlers wife, I have a Westie too, and thank you for your feedback it's something I am more than happy to consider.

Kind Regards

Sharon

Whistler

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 15:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 42 in Discussion

Sharon. When you finally get here put a post on this board about your dog grooming again. I would be interested. We have been here nearly 8 years and still renting. Happy to do so. There`s good and bad things everywhere you live and you sound as if you are prepared to give it a good go. As far as your daughter is concerned, I would advise her to do her training in the uk as I dont think you will find any training schools for weddings here. On a brighter note, I have noticed a lot more people seem to be choosing Norther Cyprus for their marriage. Good Luck x

Poodledog

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 16:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 42 in Discussion

If you could set up yourself as a mobile dog groomer that would be great and I am sure you will get a lot of business - especially from the expats. Before you leave England, check out "Buggsies": I believe it's a franchise operation - mobile dog groomers // we always used them in Blackpool // maybe there's a possibility of setting up a franchise with them over here - you never know.

And, as others have said, there are pitfalls here like anywhere else (especially England at present) but if you take the rough with the smooth, it's a far better life here AND you've got the sunshine. All the best.

Zoots

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 17:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 42 in Discussion

As I said on another thread, have you really done your homework? Do you think you will ever get permission to work in a job that TCs can do?

To set up in business you will need to lodge $100,000 and be responsible for your own tax and VAT. Do you have this kind of money?

If you don't have the correct paperwork and work permit you can be sure you will be reported and possibly deported from TRNC (this happened to a Brit hairdresser).

Also having a 15-year-old at a stage in life where his education is most important, why put him at risk by taking him to a place so many Brits are trying to get out of? He is relying on you to make a mature and informed decision about his welfare.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but your tone suggests someone who has fallen in love with a naive dream who is likely to find out reality the hard way. People were like that when they bought property against all good advice. Now many of them wish they had never heard of this place.

Zoots

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 17:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 42 in Discussion

More good advice:

http://www.cyprus44.com/forums/13171.asp

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 42 in Discussion

Zoots I here what you are saying but most of the people who write negative messages are retired. We are young enough to make a go of it.

I have researched Cyprus we do have money and I have never intended to work illegally. In England you are responsible for tax and insurance and VAT.

I have had lots of positive response on here and sent to my email address just from one day, so there is obviously a need.

I can understand what you are saying with regards to my son, but you don't know him, so it's not something I expect you to understand.

If it doesn't work for us then we will call it a gap year, our jobs here are secure for a return if we wish and our house is being rented out on a long lease, and we have savings for a business so the risk is all ours and worth doing.

As I said before England is not the best place to be at the moment either.

Both our kids are old enough to understand what is happening if either of then didn't want to come we wouldn't even consider it.

Kind Regar

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 42 in Discussion

Thank you to everyone who has expressed an interest in my imminent move and career choice .

Let's hope I can get 'Dapper Dogs' set up and in your neighbourhoods in the not to near future!

Watch this space!

Kind Regards

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 21:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 42 in Discussion

You said earlier you would value feedback and you have been given plenty, appears to me you have already made up your mind what you are going to do, reading what people with experience are saying re employment permit, schools, teenage children living there etc., would make me think twice about uprooting. You talk about what you are going to do what about your husband in this, he will put his hand to anything but is there anything for him to do there.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 42 in Discussion

parkes82uk (mess 21)

Please listen to Zoots advice before you arrive and set up "Dapper Dogs" most dogs in the TRNC are certainly not Dapper and won't be able to pay you :-(

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Woodspeckie, Yes I am listening and I will be continuing with plenty of research, trust me, but I will not be knocked down without a large push!

I am coming over regularly and this forum is useful with all the different links on all subjects. I will talk to the right people who can give me the best advice.

I will not jump in feet first but all the same you still need to believe and be prepared to work at making a dream happen, otherwise the world would be a dull place don't you think?

Zoots I know you are only trying to warn me and I really do appreciate it, but life is a gamble and sometimes you have to take risks. You are not on this earth for long so you have to just get on with it and make things happen.

If you fail then get up dust yourself off and carry on!

Zoots

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 42 in Discussion

No problem, just don't want anyone to be hurt. Plenty have been. Good luck with whatever you do and keep us informed.

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 23:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 42 in Discussion

Hi Zoots, thank you and I certainly will!

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 00:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 42 in Discussion

I wish you all the luck in the world. To consider it a gap year I think is great. Leave your options open. You would do well with the grooming but as stated unless you can work for a vets and they get you the permit, you are lost. To start on your own to invest in a buisness permit is a lot of money to lodge, however you will get the interest on it. Not sure if you still need a turkish partner. Your daughter would probably be better off working south side as more european weddings take place there. My daughter in law moved here with us in the hope of being a wedding planner. Way ahead of her time Im afraid to say. Yes weddings are big buisnes here for turkish weddings. There is 2 or 3 planners here for british weddings. However the turkish weddings will go to Istanbul for their dresses and maybe local florists, cake makers etc for the rest. They do not have the receptions we have. Its called Pop in Pop on. That being the money they pin on the couple. No real reception. Just a que to po

Lilli

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 42 in Discussion

god those went quick. Just to pop the money on have a drink and go. Also the hotel are all turkish owned and they have the Food and Beverage satff to deal with it all. Your son will be fine, get him in a good school where you can make friends with other parents. However they are not cheap.Do your year see how it goes . It seems to me that you have a dream that needs to be followed. I respect that and wish you well with it.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 08:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 42 in Discussion

If you expect to enjoy the benefits of living in an EU membership state, don't expect to find these in TRNC. What you will encounter, however enthusiatic you are, is endless hassle, bureaucracy and inevitable disappointment and financial loss - nothing more certain in your circumstances! If you choose not to listen to the practicalities of the warnings freely given by those forum members who don't even know you - then the phrase: 'The best of British!' is certainly appropriate.

Have you researched the South [RoC]?

If not, I suggest you do so, and save yourselves a lot of hassle and heartbreak!

And yes, I am a TRNC resident - 5+ years here in TRNC and 26 years in the South.

bazbar

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 42 in Discussion

I lived in the South and moved to the North a year ago.If you want any advice about either give me a ring on 05338742566.

negativenick

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 42 in Discussion

mess 29 - good, honest and sound advice..............

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 14:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 42 in Discussion

Thanks NN - I think we agree on a LOT of things!

There are always those who think they can 'beat the system' - they can't separate their 'holiday nostalgia' from reality!

No doubt your good ol' Uncle Percy would have given some good, honest, but blunt, advice to this poster!

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 00:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 42 in Discussion

Msg 29 & 31 thank you for your good, honest blunt and sound advice its much appreciated, now take mine...... get out in the sun and find some happy endorphins!

Lilli thank you for your lovely kind messages of support and with good information and advice, really useful and interesting. I wasn't sure if I saw a place in kyrenia that teaches Wedding Planning and my husband said he was sure it said nationally recognised qualifications like City & Guilds, that's why we posed the question.

Can you have your business in the South but live in the North? Or work in the South and live in the North? Forgive me if I am being naive.

philbailey

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 00:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 34 of 42 in Discussion

msg 33 I googled cyprus weddings there must be 50 plus companies

so maybe a good career choice

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 01:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 35 of 42 in Discussion

Thanks Phil My daughter said she needs to watch the imminent royal wedding because they will be calling for her help when Harry gets married! Lol

fiendishpaul

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 07:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 36 of 42 in Discussion

Parkes82UK

Yes you can work in the South and live in the North. Many people do this daily.

Unsure as to whether you could have a business in the South and live in the North, but don't see why not.

Personally, if I was looking to create the type of business that you are alluding to, I would look for a location rich in expats, as they are most likely to want their pets pampering. In the South this would mean targetting either Larnaca, Limassol or Paphos, neither of which are really commutable from the North. Rental costs in Paphos are similar to those in the North although Limassol and Larnaca are a bit more expensive.

If you are absolutely certain that you want to establish your own business, then I would strongly advise that you do so in the South where you are at least recognised as an EU citizen and are governed (sort of ) by EU laws.

Good Luck

Paul

ozankoymum

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 37 of 42 in Discussion

Hi There

With regards your daughter, there are jobs available in the south with Olympic holidays as wedding planner and lots of office vacanies based in Limasol. We live in the north but got married in Paphos and used a private wedding planner, there will be a bigger demand for weddings in the North soon so it is a very good consideration, maybe she could get her training and experience working for a company then go self employed (which is easy in the South, much more difficult and expensive in the north)

Good luck with everything. It is a very unique place with its pros and cons. Cyprus as a whole is beautiful Island with lots of wonderful people.

http://www.olympicholidays-careers.com/

parkes82uk

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 10:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 38 of 42 in Discussion

Hi thank you msg 36 & 37. Yes we got married in the South, and are considering it, but we really love the North and find it a lot friendlier.

Zoots

Message Posted:
11/03/2011 11:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 39 of 42 in Discussion

Have to say that one of the best parts of getting married was planning and anticipating the wedding ourselves. I wouldn't hand over one of these greatest pleasures to a stranger - and have to pay for it. Still, each to their own.

philbailey

Message Posted:
15/03/2011 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 40 of 42 in Discussion

Msg 39 "one of the best parts of getting married was planning "

many people say that lol

negativenick

Message Posted:
15/03/2011 06:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 41 of 42 in Discussion

mess 12 - "I would say you could make a fortune with the dog grooming"

What a load of popy-cock.........

you'd struggle to make a living wage and constantly having to watch your back in case the authorities rumbled you.........

You haven't been involved in advising the monitery policy to the UK Gov't, have you ??

luaqhgt

Message Posted:
21/04/2011 10:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 42 of 42 in Discussion

Have you moved here yet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.