North Cyprus Tourist Board - Anyone help with HSBC Bank..."losing"my money ?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Anyone help with HSBC Bank..."losing"my money ?

Anyone help with HSBC Bank..."losing"my money ?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Banks Related Threads posted so far

» See North Cyprus Interest Rates

mikelapta

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 15 in Discussion

My brother did a test transfer from Spain to my branch in Girne on 21st February.It has not been received as at 8th March.

All the paperwork is on official HSBC headed paper.

Girne say they cannot find the money and want a SWIFT Message

The money left my brother's bank on that February day.

He has been on to his HSBC in Spain,then connected to the help-line in India or somewhere like that.

They want payment to enable a SWIFT Message to be sent to Girne.

So HSBC want to be paid more for "losing"the money.

This was such a test transfer.Anyone got advice how I can get a larger sum transferred ?

Without such problems?

walkerscott

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 13:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 15 in Discussion

http://www.globalwebpay.com/

http://www.no-deeds-no-money.moonfruit.com

LooseBoots

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 15 in Discussion

Have contacted you offboard.

elko2

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 19:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 15 in Discussion

Mikelapta,

The surest way to track down what happened to the money is to ask your brother to go back to his bank and ask for a copy of "Swift Transfer". This is actually the telex message from your bank to HQ of HSBC in USA.

If you can show this telex message to HSBC in Girne, they will be able to trace your money. Without this, they can only guess what happened and this is no way to trace any missing money. You have to do it the proper way.

ismet

akin68

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 15 in Discussion

Try Iktisat Bank. I had my transfer from Canada within 3 days...

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 15 in Discussion

Sadly Turkey (and so Cyprus) is not yet part of HSBC's Global Network. Using Global Network I move money each way between UK and Thailand within 24 hours at no cost. However, I have made SWIFT transfers to/from UK and Cyprus and from Cyprus to Thailand without trouble although it takes 3 days and a small charge.

I do know people who have had difficulty with SWIFT as it is not entirely logical. I suggest you visit a banking advisor at HSBC and ascertain exactly what data is required in each field of an HSBC SWIFT form to affect the transfer that you require. The HSBC internet system allows you to save the details of all transfers so that next time you only have to enter the amount and required transfer date.

andy2b123

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 15 in Discussion

This happened to me 6years ago. It turned out that the bank in the uk had changed the money into Turkish lira and the bank in Girne had it in my lira account.I had to change it back into £ as it was needed to pay my builder.After many telephone calls and e-mail the money I lost was refunded by the bank in the U.K.

elko2

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 20:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 15 in Discussion

I I find some of the comments unbelievable.

1. The money has been sent already from Spain. So we are discussing how to trace it, not how to send it in future.

2. Each HSBC bank in every country is a different entity but they do have organic links. HSBC Turkey is no different.

3. As a Premier customer I can and do often transfer money to other countries through internet free of charge. It is supposed to take three clear working days but usually it takes shorter.

4. Even Turkish banks use "Swift" when transfering "foreign exchange" between different banks e.g. transfers between HSBC and Guarantee Bank.

5. "Swift" is an international service of Reuters and it works very well.

6. HSBC takes into account all your money in all countries and classifies you accordingly.

ismet

ScubaBoy9

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 15 in Discussion

Mike

As Ismet says get a copy of the Swift. If you get that I will decipher it and see what went on. I also have some contacts in HSBC London so may be able to twist a couple of arms to help track it down.

ScubaBoy9

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 15 in Discussion

Just a small correction Ismet, Swift is nothing to do with Reuters, its Bank owned, sending nearly 20million messages a day.

"SWIFT is the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication, a member-owned cooperative through which the financial world conducts its business operations with speed, certainty and confidence. More than 9,000 banking organisations, securities institutions and corporate customers in 209 countries trust us every day to exchange millions of standardised financial messages."

rowlo

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 15 in Discussion

bring it in a suitcase next time .

elko2

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 22:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 15 in Discussion

Scubaboy,

Thanks for the correction. I can remember very vividly when I first transferred money to Hong Kong about 20 years ago through my bank Ishbank, they used the services of Swift and I was told that it was a service of Reuters but I could never make sense of it. Now I realize that it was wrong info. For more exhaustive info see here http://www.swift.com/about_swift/press_room/SWIFT_for_media_July_2010.pdf

ismet

ScubaBoy9

Message Posted:
08/03/2011 23:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 15 in Discussion

The info on page 8 is very useful to help anyone decipher a payment message as the mesage diplayed has explinations against the field tags, which depending on the Bank may not be displayed, likewise with the BIC the the explination about that may also be of assistance. In most case you can often work out the bank from the first 4 characters if you have half a clue what it may be, for Example HSBCTRIX is HSBC ( HSBC) TR (Turkey) IX (Istanbul) . If not if you look here http://www.swift.com/bsl/index.faces and you an enter the BIC to get the full details of the Bank

Wiser

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 07:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 15 in Discussion

HSBC in the uk has just lost our money also and wish us to pay £25 for them to trace it!

mikelapta

Message Posted:
09/03/2011 08:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 15 in Discussion

Thanks to all the replies on and off board.

I notice my name has been spelt incorrectly...Micheal instead of Michael...maybe,just maybe.

Yes,Wiser they are expecting me to pay to find the missing money.

OK,there is no SWIFT message but i have:

HSBC reference from Spanish branch

Senders reference

HSBCTRIXXXX code

Beneficiary Bank TR etc.

Investigation No. given by HSBC UK tel no,but being dealt with in India or somewhere like that.

I am going to Girne branch soon.I will not leave until it's found !!!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.