North Cyprus Tourist Board - Are there any Silkie Chicken breeders in Cyprus?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Are there any Silkie Chicken breeders in Cyprus?

Are there any Silkie Chicken breeders in Cyprus?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

nikegirl

Message Posted:
14/03/2011 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Random question, I know, but I would love to have a few Silkie Chickens in my garden.

I have looked into bringing hatching eggs but apparently they need a vet certificate and export certificate etc. even though they aren't alive!

Maybe yorgozlu or fosterscan can help? I saw the other post about egg incubators...

louthlass

Message Posted:
14/03/2011 17:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

I saw silkies about three weeks ago, at the petshop at the bottom of the Bellapais road, just before you get to Molly's cafe. They were in a very small cage outside the shop, along with budgies, canaries and goldfinches, also crammed into cages.

nikegirl

Message Posted:
14/03/2011 17:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Ooo how exciting! Is that the petshop at the roundabout where you can either go straight across to Ozankoy or up to Bellapais?

I hate seeing birds crammed into cages though. I'll probably want to rescue them all!

Thank you so much for letting me know. I will investigate!

louthlass

Message Posted:
14/03/2011 18:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

If you are coming from Bellapais, go straight over at the traffic lights and down to the petshop on your right.

ozankoys

Message Posted:
14/03/2011 19:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Hi

The guy in the exchange shop almost opposite the big Deniz Plaza (next to the cafe with the taxi above it) has lots of birds for sale. He definitely has Pekings but not sure about Silkies, I used to have Pekings in UK so I was particularly interested in these but there were lots of different pictures of the birds he has.

We do not have a very big garden now but I would love to have them walking around! We also have lots of foxes in the ravine so also not sure how long they would last if I did weaken & get some.

Tootie

Message Posted:
14/03/2011 20:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Im looking into buying a couple of chucks just for eggs. Does anyone know where I could buy some?

Yourgozlu. If you read this, I think you maybe able to help.?

Thanks

nikegirl

Message Posted:
15/03/2011 07:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Ok perfect thanks Connie. I'll let you know if I get any and you can come and see them. I'm moving to Ozankoy Are the Pekings bantams as well or full size? I tried to google it but just got lots of photos of chinese food!

I'm planning on having a heavy duty chicken wire run and coop so that no foxes or cats can get at them. I'll get one made in Cyprus that looks like this - http://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/chicken-coop.htm

Maybe we can start a chicken/bird/duck club

ozankoys

Message Posted:
15/03/2011 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Hi yes the Pekings are small (maybe even smaller than Silkies) and they have feathers on their legs so it looks like they are wearing trousers. They come in lots of colours i.e. black, white, grey (I think this is called lavender) and sort of pheasant colour but what is available here I do not know.

Good luck with getting the coop made & I would love to come & see your chickens when you get them.

Maybe you will be able to let them out when you are in the garden they are such a joy to watch. They are always so busy mine used to walk miles every day & it was amazing to see the male excitedly call when he had caught a worm, the ladies would rush over & he would give it to them, I never saw him eat one himself.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.