North Cyprus Tourist Board - Pelargonium and grapevine pruning advice needed
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Pelargonium and grapevine pruning advice needed

Pelargonium and grapevine pruning advice needed

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
15/03/2011 10:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 4 in Discussion

I have got loads of Pelargoniums (Geraniums) in the garden, none of which have ever been properly pruned back or trimmed. (I've been too busy pruning trees and trying to get rid of acres of Cape Sorrel !) - is now a good time of year to prune them back to shape, and how 'hard' can I prune them ? - there must be at least 12 around the garden, so if any green-fingered members want any cuttings, I hope to have them soon. Any advice welcome. Same thing with my grape vine. I notice a lot of locals pruning their vines, so I am guessing this is the right time of year? - again, any advice on how much or how far back to prune would be welcome.

mamachina

Message Posted:
15/03/2011 14:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 4 in Discussion

re pelagoniums - we found if we pruned too far down they died, and too far up they got "leggy". Go down to a joint about 7/8 inches above soil, if there is one and try it on one plant and see how it goes. As far as grapes go, we've taken back to 3 buds from main, or first side branch. take off twiggy bits!! In facr, tidy up, if its a grape growing over a pergola, if its a ground one, take down a long long way!!

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
16/03/2011 01:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 4 in Discussion

Thanks for that - i have checked all my pelargoniums, and can find new buds all over to prune back to - about 1.5 feet long is good (450 mm) so I guess I can start pruning ! - anybody want free cuttings (Alsancak) ? - apparently, according to Patricia Jordan, now is a great time to plant pelargonium cuttings. am told that if planted in pots around your pool terrace, they will keep the mossies at bay ! - have today had a good conversation with a Cypriot neighbour, who insisted on taking me to his fathers place in Baspinar, where his dad gave me a 'master class' in grapevine pruning - very informative - and then he showed me what to do with citrus and fruit trees - wow. Local knowledge and loads of experience - can't beat it.

mikelapta

Message Posted:
16/03/2011 08:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 4 in Discussion

I watched a local vine man cut my grapes back last year,did it myself this year,just waiting for the first leaves to show !!

I'll take some of your cuttings,where abouts are you?

On car in garage Wed am til Friday...can I come then?

Mike

0533 871 3045

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.