North Cyprus Tourist Board - Aluminium patio door runner wheels collapsed - recommendations please
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Aluminium patio door runner wheels collapsed - recommendations please

Aluminium patio door runner wheels collapsed - recommendations please

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all Do It Yourself (DIY) threads posted so far

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 14:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Just read Chezzi's post about PVC doors - mine are aluminium, and the same thing has happened - one of the sliding door wheels has broken up, making the door impossible to slide. (Found several small ball-bearings in slider track )

Am willing to pay someone to come out and fit new runner wheels, if anyone can recommend a good company - I am in Alsancak.

Alternatively, If I could figure out how to get the sliding door out of its track, I reckon I could repair it myself, (assuming I can get new runner wheel assemblies, that is !)

Any ex-patio door fitters out there who may be able to advise me on method of removal ? - I would assume that the doors were fitted after the frame, on installation, but I can see how to get the sliding panel out. Have tried lifting the panel up (moves up about 8 mm) , but not enough to clear the runner track.

Any advice gratefully anticipated

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Sorry, just re-read post - I meant to say I can NOT see how to get the sliding panel out. (Reminder for self - re-read post before posting !)

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 15:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

treemancyprus

You may have anti-lift wedges fitted to the top track. These are added after installation of the windows and typically there will be two for each sliding window. You will need to locate them and remove before you can do anything else.

AJ

martinD41

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 15:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

AJ is right about the wedges,you may or may not have them,but be careful lifting the doors out they are very heavy, good luck

gates

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 15:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

depending were you are get in glazzing men as some of these doors are realy heavy thats why the wheels have gone dont try your self

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 18:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Thanks for advice, guys. No anti-lift wedges, but I have discovered (after removing the rubber bump stops from the end of the door jamb) a screw which raises and lowers the door in the track, i.e. it raises or lowers the runner wheels. This makes sense, as i assume they fit the panels in and then 'jack them up' using the adjustment screw - hence no need for anti-lift wedges. I reckon if I undo the screws enough, the door will drop and I will be able to get it out. They are not that heavy - I can lift them up as far as they will go, so I'm hoping by 'retracting ' the runner wheels as far as they can go, I should be able to lift the whole panel out. Too dark to play games with em tonight, so I'll have a go in the morning. Will report back, either flushed with success, or desparate for a repair man !!

rowlo

Message Posted:
21/03/2011 21:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

be careful not to retract the wheels all the way as the door will come out of the top glide , only retract 5mm at a time , until you can lift it off the bottom track , then pull it towards you and let it drop out of the top glide , same applies to reinstalling

mersin10

Message Posted:
22/03/2011 00:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

primert aluminium.

next to british cafe and currency exchange, alsancak ,main rd just before lapta.

ask for ali.

mersin10

treemancyprus

Message Posted:
22/03/2011 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

Many thanks, Mersin - I have tried 'winding down' the runner wheels, but the bu**er still won't come out. Defo time for someone who (hopefully) knows what they are doing. Will call at Primert shortly.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.