North Cyprus Tourist Board - History fans only: The Knights Templar & their violent rule of Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > History fans only: The Knights Templar & their violent rule of Cyprus

History fans only: The Knights Templar & their violent rule of Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
02/10/2008 22:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

(...) The Order of the Knights Templar was founded by a vassal of the Count

of Champagne, a certain Hugh de Payens, acting in collaboration with André de Montbard, the uncle of (in)famous Bernard of Clairvaux.

In 1118, the two knights along with seven companions announced to the monarch that it was their intention to found an order of warrior monks so that 'as far as their strength permitted, they should keep the roads and highways safe... with a special regard for the protection of pilgrims.'

The new order took vows of personal poverty - but they became the first bankers of the world...

The king of the Latin Kingdom (in the Holy Land) granted them quarters which included the stables of what was believed to be the Temple of Solomon. The Patriarch of Jerusalem granted the new order of knights the right to wear the double barred Cross of Lorraine as their insignia.

They bought Cyprus from King Richard The Lionheart and violently ruled the island.

Eventually the Pope and the French King plotted their downfall... (...)

More info here (click URL) : http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/MCF_Templars.jpg

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
03/10/2008 22:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

More info here (click URL) : http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/MCF_Templars.jpg

Terug naar de top.

Littlenige

Message Posted:
04/10/2008 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

I was under the impression they only owned cyprus for a year ??

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
04/10/2008 19:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

RE Nigel : (...) I was under the impression they only owned cyprus for a year ?? (...)

===> You're right, Nige. They didn't pay their debt to Richard the Lionheart and their rule during this year (1191-1192) as masters of Cyprus was violent indeed - more during the illustrated reading...

http://www.allcrusades.com/BB_pics/MCF_Templars.jpg

Groucho

Message Posted:
04/10/2008 22:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

I knew sub-prime mortgages were not a new thing.....

fire starter

Message Posted:
05/10/2008 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

hi dutch

just wanted to say sorry re the other post where we were talking about air guns. i have learnt that they have recently banded the 22. was only told this last week so we must have been lucky to get ours in here! you were right and i was wrong. they keep changing the rules so often knowbody knows whats going on lol.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.