North Cyprus Tourist Board - Tv through internet
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Tv through internet

Tv through internet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Television (TV) and Satellite threads posted so far

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

brumboy

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 11:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Advice needed from a tech mug please. I want to connect laptop to tv to watch bbc iplayer, I usually get a pay as you go dongle from turkcell to surf, and will subscribe to a vpn.

1. Will the dongle have enough connection to stream the iplayer ok?

2. Do I subscribe to vpn in uk or when in cyprus.

Also want to set up a sky dish ect, and have a box which my friend gave me as another connection in his house.

Do I need to connect first in the uk or can I bring out (new) and connect straight from Cyp.

I know these are very basic questions but this reflects my basic knowledge, any help appreciated.

johnty

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 11:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

if you use a dongle, you will use your quota up within a week. you need 2mg from internet provider with unlimited broadband.

you need to sign up for vpn from uk. i use my-private-network for £5 per month.

brumboy

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 11:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

Cheers Johnty, any advice on the best internet provider to use ?

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Brumboy

if you use a dongle - remember it may will have a usage limit.. an hour's worth of download from iplayer is 600Mb..

You don't need a VPN in the UK and you can sign up for one in Cyprus... there are free VPN offerings available..and MPN get lots of good reviews

Setting up a dish.. did you know that to get BBC 1-4 and CBBC / Cebeebies you need a 4.2m ? You can get most SKY stuff via a well installed 1.8m

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

I use hideIPVPN and they are excellent - even sky player works if you get someone with sky in the UK to give you their your password. It's $6 (£4) a month for a UK VPN. You can also get a free one from mmmmmmm if you ask him nicely!!

However you need a good 2mb download speed for streaming live TV - i currently have Nethouse WDSL which sometimes is brilliant, but sometimes the speed drops. Our dongle streams perfectly, but you have your download limited so streaming media will use it up far to quick.

I am looking into ADSL now, which is the cheapest and best by all accounts, but you will need a land line obviously for this.

Hope it helps...

G

brumboy

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Cheers mmmmmm, had a quote for 1.8 dish when last out and hope to get installed over easter, i brought the sky box out last time without connecting in uk first...does this matter or do i need to bring back to uk to set up connection?

I only need iplayer connection until my sky is up and running so can I up my dongle account to cover more usage or is this not viable for iplayer?

brumboy

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Thanks StGeorgeI, will follow your lead I think for ADSL for internet connection. Many thanks all.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

Hi Brumboy

if I understand, correctly.. you are asking about a SKY pay package... then YES you should have it all up and running in the UK first.. be aware you are contracted to have it connected to a UK phone line in the first 12 months of the contract or permanently, if it is a multiroom box

The viability depends on your usage of iplayer.. roughly speaking- 10 hours could be six gigs...

I have a test slingbox running UK TV on a Nethouse wireless connection - also receiving Dutch TV simultaneously.. seems to work quite well - but not all of the time.. internet reliability is still not 100%.

brumboy

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

Cheers mmmm, will bring box back to uk then as it is multiroom ...what is a sling box, is it the connection to your uk cable service i have read about ? Do I still need my sky dish ?.....sorry a complete beginner at this sort of thing, here i pay virgin and they sort it.

mmmmmm

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

brumboy

A slingbox allows you to watch / control a sat or cable receiver that is the UK over the internet - it is called place-shifting.

It needs a fast UP connection to SEND the data and most UK connections are far too slow.

We you are over ask member Dutch Crusader to give you a demo - he has it working on UK free channels .... the dish is at the UK end.. all you need is a PC / Mac and internet connection - although you can add a sling catcher and connect straight to the TV and have a remote control in your hand.. ( as opposed to having a virtual one on the computer )

brumboy

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Sounds good mmm, will contact DC many thanks, saved me a lot of time messing mate.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
25/03/2011 19:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

6xM: we now use two Slingboxes (one based in the UK and one in Holland) - my wife is very happy with the results! Yesterday, at home, I showed some UK and Dutch channels to another C44 member and I think the word I may use is: he was stunned!

P.S. I'm with Nethouse on only a medium speed connection and can use the Internet as much as I want while my wife watches all these great programs from the UK :-( and Holland :-(

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.