North Cyprus Tourist Board - Duty Free via Istanbul
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Duty Free via Istanbul

Duty Free via Istanbul

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 05:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 2 in Discussion

I am sure this must have been told before but I did not know so it is maybe worth reporting again. Indeed it may be the same everywhere these days but my international travel is very limited since retirement.

I went to Thailand via Istanbul with both legs on Turkish Airlines. I bought 1 litre of Bacardi at Ercan Duty Free and duly landed at Istanbul where, as a transit passenger, I remained within the air side security zone. However, when I tried to board the Bangkok flight my Bacardi was confiscated because it was not ''appropriately tagged'. It was OK to fly into Istanbul with my highly dangerous bottle but not to leave. A clue may lie in the guy's offer that I still had time to buy another bottle from from the nearby duty free shop.

What a scam.

For those going to Thailand at least - like Ercan, you can buy your duty free on landing.

negativenick

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 07:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 2 in Discussion

i've done the same trip JJ - but not bought any spirits - cos they are pretty cheap in thailand anyway....

The plus side, for an economy class fight - the plane / food and service was first class...........

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.