North Cyprus Tourist Board - entertainers tax payable singing
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > entertainers tax payable singing

entertainers tax payable singing

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Additional Costs in North Cyprus

blueeyes

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 19:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

Over the last couple of days I have read various different posts in relation to tax payable by an entertainer, could someone who knows please inform me of these things.

1. What is the set monthly Tax payable if you have a local company already set up.

2. What is the set monthly Tax payable if you are a person working with a permit singing at different venues.

3. Is the monthly Tax payable a set figure or does it depend on the number of times you work.

4. does the tax allow for claimable i.e. expenses, fuel, car, stage clothes, new music. equipment.

5. What is the maximum you are aloud to earn i.e. the threshold limit.

6. If the company employs you to sing at different venues and the company pays the tax due on the invoices provided to the venues to the government, why should you pay it also if you have a contract with the company. surely that would cover the situation as the government are receiving revenue and you are working.

You cant expect not to pay Tax in a new country.

Marion

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 19:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

Shouldn't you be asking a Government office or a lawyer. I fear that anyt advice on here may not be as accurate as you would like. You do not make it clear if you have a work permit or run a business or are in some area of expertise unknown to we mere mortals outside of the entertainment industry.

I would think someone like Johnny (forgotten the surname) would be the persion toknow, or anna but most of us know nothing in this area.

Hope I am proved wrong.

gooligan

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 19:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

Half of them want locking up for life with no parole,Brian Delaney and Jonnie Hawkings to name but two

blueeyes

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

I have formed a local company for a Bar I will be opening soon, however I wish to know wether the same company can as an agent have me working at other venues and pay the tax due to the goverment on the invoices it supplys to the venue for me singing there. simple. or is this not allowed.

Marion

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 19:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

Sorry Blue eyes, but I really DO think you need to talk with an Accountant conversant with the law in this respect, or a laqyer. Sadly though some lawyers reject advic e of accountants and vice versa. YOu really DO need to talk to someone in the know - not us lot! \just look at comment 3 to see why I say what I do.

|Personally, I am an opera lover, but it is not my place to judge those who give others pleasure.

Hopefully someone who is involved with the legal profession and hopefully reading this might point you in the right direction?

Lilli

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 19:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

Blueeyes, I wish you well with your venture. However I think you really do need to speak with an acccountant and a good lawyer. There has been so much going on here about entertainers etc.I think if your buisness permit includes your entertainment thats you covered but please please check it out. It changes so much here x

negativenick

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 20:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

mess 3 - gets a "neg nick post of the night" award - well done, very funny................

Mess 3 - i hope you are starting with a large fortune (you know the rest...............)

Lilli

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 20:20

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

Dont put them off Nick we need new blood here xxxx

negativenick

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 20:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

mess 8 - if only he knew what you an the big fella knew................

gooligan

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 20:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Seriously,get in touch with all the entertainers you can working here,everyone will have a different story to tell you.

happyhere

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 20:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

1. You can't work at different venues on one work permit. You have to have one for each venue which you can't get or is not viable as you would have to pay tax etc at each one.

2. Monthly outgoings ie sosyal sigorta and ihyihat sandihi (sorry if not spelt correctly) is 347 tl at the moment which can change.

3. You need an accountant who needs paying (thankfully mine only charges 150 tl per month)

4. If you have a business here, yes you can offset costs against earnings but it is different to the UK.

5. KDV is calculated every month, not 3 monthly as in the UK. If no KDV is due one month, the invoices etc are carried over to next month so maybe KDV due then

6. A Company can't employ you to sing at different places - it is not allowed here. You can only sing at one place only.

Cont /

happyhere

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 21:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Cont /

7. Minimum wage is about 1300tl per month and the soysal sigorta etc is based on that figure. If the Company earns more then it has tax to pay at the end of the year when the books are done. This is then taken out as tax in May, June and October I think. Sorry can't remember without looking at the paperwork. This has to be done by an accountant here. You can't do your own books like in the UK.

Liz (Lilli) is right though, you do really need to ask an accountant as rules change so much here but all I can say is it isn't an easy ride and it isn't cheap and it isn't straight forward.

negativenick

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 21:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

mess 11 and 12 - so if an entertainer can only sing at one venue - why do we see postings for "entertainers" doing the rounds ??

i though the gov't had agreed entertainers could pay at diferent venues and have tax stopped by the venue owner - or was this made up by the bloke who posted about the SAS story ???

spider

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 21:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

blueeyes I hope you find the above information of some help but please also remember that accountant's like everyone else here always always change their minds.......most days. So you may well be left not knowing if your coming or going..

Thats how it is here but you like all the other will soon catch on ! Good luck

Spider,X

philbailey

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

Msg 13 lol

Lilli

Message Posted:
27/03/2011 21:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Happy you are so right and as much as we need new blood its so hard for any or here in buisness Nick cos they ca maybe for the momeent

kezspot

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 00:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

Like I previously stated many a times, it is impossible, doing it through your business, it costs you more! Thats why so many of the good entertainers moved away! You cannot be an entertainer and sing at different venues legally. This has been a topic for many years, things will not suddenly change! Sorry!

kezspot

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 00:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Gooligan, before you start locking people away as you stated, you should check who actually did/does have business permits and contributed/contributes to the Trnc, and are not just entertainers blagging it without nothing!

negativenick

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 01:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

mess17 / 18 - so kez - you saying that the typical trnc ex patt singer playing several places a week is breaking the law and there is no way to get leit (affordably)...

as i recall - Snakes posted something on this very subject a few months ago and he gave the impression (as i recall) that he had visited some big wig in the govt and sorted it and roving" entertainers could play at different venues nd the responsibility for the tax being stopped would rest with the venue.

anyone care to comment ???

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 09:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

A few people have stated that coming here and opening a Bar or Restaurant , you need to consult a good accountant,

I also wish you well with your venture, But I really feel that a consultation with a Brain Surgeon would be a better idea.

I f you have a large lump sum, change it to lira and stick it in the bank, watch the interest come in, or open a bar, get a few people in during the season, and watch your investment rapidly dwindle.

Listen to Kezspot, she knows probably better than anyone else.

Lilli says we need new blood here, I disagree, It seems that everyone who gets off the plane must turn up with a guitar mike and a karaoke machine.

Who's going to listen to the new blood ?

I have heard a rumor that some one is starting doing the rounds playing the spoon's and a Jews harp, and he does a great version of mule train.

So hide your best trays,

yorgozlu

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 13:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

I wander how many big entertainers in UK does a concert,calls it 'charity event' and pays tax for it!

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Hopefully if it is for charity they would not have to pay tax. If I recall There was a lot of confusion to do with VAT when Bob Geldof organised Band Aid,

blueeyes

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 20:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Thanks for the replies I have had, however I don’t need charity as I have as much as I could ever want, also I have been very lucky in life to do whatever I want, I have been coming here for years and I can tell you I would not risk money if I thought I was to lose it. The people who are giving negative comments should go home if they are not happy, as there is no price on happiness. When you move to a new country you have to abide by their rules not the ones you leave behind at home. life is a challenge, different cultures are a challenge to your own, I am pleased to hear about Snakes as he tried to do something about it, also to the man who states that people play the spoons when they get off the plane, I say good luck to them. And anyway, if they don’t succeed you can have their spoons and stir up some more fuss.

Entertainers are very special people, they make people happy, that’s what they do. Maybe The Spoons bloke can start his own act called, the amazing Mr Miserable. Bye Bye

happyhere

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 21:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

Blueeyes, you asked on Message 4 for information/help, of which both myself and Lilli have helped you with.

We are not giving negative comments and certainly do not wish to go back to UK. We are happy here - just trying to give you all the information you will need to run or own a business and be an entertainer. Remember we have been here longer and know the ropes so to speak albeit they change so quickly here.

Believe us when we say, it isn't easy here getting work permits, setting up a business but it doesn't mean we are unhappy - just trying to offer some friendly advice.

I am sure Lilli will back me up on this as herself and Guido own an excellent Italian restaurant here in Alsancak and it hasn't been easy for them also.

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
28/03/2011 22:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

We love it here, and as most of you know I am far from negative.

My only concern is that there are not the amount of people here to put bums on seats on a regular basis (and I think I am in aposition to comment)

Also any good business person would not put money into a venture unless you can get a good return on it. (however much money they have)

My favourite band is the Beatles, but I would not want to se them more than maybe 4 times a year.

Kez spot was far from negative, she is an excellent vibrant talented entertainer,

The comment about the spoons was actually meant jovial.

If blue eyes can fill a venue here on a regular basis , I will be the first to congratulate him.

Ther are just not enough punters here, to ratio of Bars etc.

Good Luck with your venture.

blueeyes

Message Posted:
29/03/2011 00:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

To Jonnylee,

I`m not having a pop at you, I have been coming here a long time and the only reason I have not come full time sooner is because I have a large business, or should I say had, as I have sold it. I know the cabaret game and the catering trade very well and have spent a lot of time carrying out tests for trade in relation to TRNC, I am aware that its not possible to make fortunes but that’s not what I want, the business I am opening is near the Golf club, on the Beach and we are building a Cabaret Bar on the top, it will seat 100 people in the restaurant and 40 to 60 outside in the day time dining area, there will be Crazy golf, the Beach, a paddling pool and other things to keep kids busy while the parents can have a break, there is parking for 40 cars, it’s very secluded and beautiful. So all we can do is see what happens, I only wish to sing at another venue until my own business is complete as this will keep me well rehearsed. When we are open try it.

Good Luck

Al

Bowman

Message Posted:
29/03/2011 05:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

Blueeyes,

This sounds great. Where will your new business be exactly? Oh, and good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

negativenick

Message Posted:
29/03/2011 08:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

mess 26 - "yow'll learn" - as Uncle Percy would say.....................

blueeyes

Message Posted:
29/03/2011 09:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

Thank you "BOWMAN" its good to be in contact with someone who has hope left. Ha! Ha!

Some make it sound like i`m opening in Libya, "Gaddafis Bar", if people think its hard here they should try and open a bar in England, I will assure them it`s just as difficult there as here in this recession, however here we have the Sun, so if it`s going to be hard so be it, but we might as well be in the Sun trying hard or not.

We dont want to make loads of money we just want to enjoy what we do, pay the over heads, employ people and pay a liittle tax, after all thats the way the wheels move all over the world, sometimes it`s good sometimes its not so good. We will be posting the full address when we know what it is ????, hope to see you there.

Al August Jnr.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
29/03/2011 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

'A man can, potentially, have the best job in the world if he works for nothing!'

NN's 'Uncle Percy's' words of wisdom shouldn't be taken lightly - especially where TRNC is concerned!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.