North Cyprus Tourist Board - Expat Shield for BBC iplayer in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Expat Shield for BBC iplayer in TRNC

Expat Shield for BBC iplayer in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

girnegeeza

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 00:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

I would like to download Expat Shield so that I can use BBC iplayer, currently I have a Telsim Dongle with a one GB usage per month, would this be sufficient to download say three or fours hours of programs.

I know that it is difficult to watch live TV unless you have a very fast internet connection, is it the same for iplayer or does it differ because you download it first and then watch from your computer.

Would appreciate some info from anyone that has been doing the above or has a better idea.

Thanks.

erolz

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 02:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

No one GB data allowance would not be sufficent.

For download a 30 min program would be about 300mb of data, using iplayer download service. So thats about 600mb per hour or near enough .6 of your monthly GB allowance.

You can download in lower quality for 'portable devices'. For example eastenders on 28/03 has 3 download options

iplayer desktop - 310 MB

windows media player version - 284MB

portable devices - 121MB

you can watch the 'portable devices' version on a large screen but it will not look good.

So your 1 GB of data allowance would get you about 1.5 hrs of video content at an acceptable quality.

Geoff

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 09:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Why not pay for service like many do?

I recommend http://www.filmon.com

just $145 a year for all main UK and USA channels + a few others like Dubai TV

Geoff

girnegeeza

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 10:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

Hi Geoff,

I do not mind paying for a service but would that still not involve an internet connection. As I have said at present I use a Telsim dongle, would I need to get something like Nethouse or Extend to be able to watch the service you recommend.

Thanks

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

To watch or download UK TV programs you will eat up a 1GB dongle in 1-2 hours depending on stream quality. You really need a WDSL connection, or if you have a phone line an ADSL, of around 2mb to stream live TV on Iplayer etc. If you are downloading TV programs to watch later then you can get away with a lower internet speed. The higher your internet speed the quicker your programs will download.

I use Nethouse WDSL 2mb at the moment which I have been generally happy with. Can wathc Iplayer most of the time, but with WDSL the speed goes up and down so somethimes it's not possible. Fro downloading it is excellent.

I am looking to go onto ADSL once my phone line has been installed.

G

Geoff

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 12:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

For girnegeeza: yes, you would need an ADSL connexion of at least 2 Mb speed.

You can subscribe monthly by the way (although 12 monthly is cheaper) to try it out.

We have FilmOn and SKY, as the SKY dish ain't big enough to get all SKY channels, and there are

some not on SKY and some SKY ones we can get which aren't n FilmOn.

The whole lot works out at about £7 GBP a week.

Geoff

Famagusta City

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.