North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cyprus44 forum inabilty to remove "off topic" posts
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cyprus44 forum inabilty to remove "off topic" posts

Cyprus44 forum inabilty to remove "off topic" posts

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus44

» See all North Cyprus Shipping threads posted so far

» Read about Shipping Freight to North Cyprus

malsancak

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 08:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

Having just had what I believe was a very important thread about press censorship closed because some members decided to hijack it with off-topic posts I was wondering why moderators don't just remove the inappropriate posts. I've seen this happen before but I'm beginning to wonder if there are ulterior motives for not doing the obvious. What are other members' views on closing a thread instead of removing the offending posts and allowing the more serious minded members to continue with their discussion? My own opinion is that closing down serious discussions leaves a poor impression about the nature of this forum.

billybob

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 09:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

While the forum in itself is good it is very badly run IMHO and certain mods are most defo biased and all of us can see it tho some might not want to admit that.

Topics closed as they 'serve no purpose' as was recently posted about, this is Tosh, if there are continuing posts it is topical, unless they are abusive.

And yes Mal it is so easy to remove a post without even removing the post number, Simbas does it regularly, post edited for offensive remark or post removed, no wonder so many just read the board and dont contribute, and of many of the contributors "well " (mebee me included) I await the flak

yenibob

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 10:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Moderators like being seen to moderate. They get no kudos for deleting posts or threads, even if that is clearly the right thing to do. It's all about ego!

malsancak

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 10:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

I also think that there is a possibility that if a few people don't like the trend a serious discussion takes then they have a simple method of getting it stopped.

I had a quick look through a couple of current threads and there seems to be a trend where some members think that it is appropriate to change the topic of the thread rather than start another. The moderators should point this out to the member by replacing their post with a comment telling them this. Sometimes it appears as if the moderator allows the thread to go off course deliberately so they can shut it down. I say appears because this might not be the intention even though their action gives that impression. I'm being diplomatic.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Mal

We have very limited tools available to us. First of all deleting post's is a very laborious thing to do especially if they are not at the end of the thread. We then have to add text to say that this posting has been deleted due to whatever and that is to keep the posting numbers intact. Sometimes it is better to close a thread if there are too many off subject postings and let people see the reasons and who is responsible for taking the thread off topic. The thread I am sure you are alluding has been restarted and the original author has asked for a ban on those that take it of topic again. Then we get the usual brigade posting asking 'what has happened to my posting?'. There is a hardcore of 3 or 4 members on here that unfortunately will moan whatever action we take. I respectfully draw your attention to the rules of the board, in particular rule 4.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 10:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

By the way I am more than willing to discuss and explain the reasons for any actions that are taken via e-mail.

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 10:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

This thread is now closed. Reason: Thread was addressed and no need for further posts.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.