North Cyprus Tourist Board - fish for outside in pond
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > fish for outside in pond

fish for outside in pond

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Fishing in North Cyprus

braindead

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 17:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

Does anybody know where we can get fish for our pond? I heard that someone was advertising on here but cant find it

Jovial_John

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 18:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

Babel garden centre in Lapta used to have pond fish but I haven't been there for a few years.

Be careful to include the fish species that eats mosquito larvae (whichever that is) because an outdoor fish pond is heaven for the buggers.

bigbadbob

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 18:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

I reckon Deputydawg will be able to help you here he has got a cracking fishpond.

philbailey

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 18:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

Msg 3 is it leaking ?

bigbadbob

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 18:46

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

Msg 4 very funny!!I will rephrase and say the fishpond is beautiful.

birdman

Message Posted:
30/03/2011 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

The pet shop in Lapta on the main Girne Lapta road left hand side, next to Aydens Chemists. ( Just past Serkos supermarket which is on the oposite side of the road) Has outdoor Goldfish, good for mosquitos larve, at 10 TL each.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
31/03/2011 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

If you are offered *'Mosquito Fish', [or cold water species of catfish] my advice is NOT to take them!

I did, and found that *they were useless in controlling the mosquito larvae 'population', but were very keen to attack and nibble at the fins of Koi, Comets, Shubunkins, Goldfish and Guppies.

After the water temperature in your pond reaches 21Celsius, you can put Guppies in your pond. They breed very prolifically and voraciously gobble up any mossie larvae!

When people see them in the shop, they tend to go for the most beautiful male 'veil-tail' Guppies, with variegated colours; however, after successive breeding in the pond, the whole stock reverts to the feral type, which are drab in colour. Only by selective breeding do commercial Guppy breeders achieve the so sought after colours and features!

The best algae 'vacuum cleaner', I found, for a pond in Cyprus, is the 'Plecostomos' [tropical] catfish. 23Celsius water - no less, in and out! 'Winter' in an aquarium

deputydawg

Message Posted:
31/03/2011 11:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Greetings bigbadbob. Thanks for the message of support. The pond is OK it is the owner who is "cracked up" ! It seems that braindead will visit for some lily cuttings. Trust you both well and in chipper form. When you next visit TRNC you are most welcome here for refreshments and a chat in the sunshine regardless of your purchasing plans.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
31/03/2011 12:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

I forgot to add that if, prior to stocking with fish, a pond [or rainwater filled, but otherwise empty swimming pool] is infested with mosquito larvae, an organic means of 'control' is to introduce some tadpoles - and this is the season/time to do just that!

The prevalent species of frogs in Cyprus, if not near a river, stream, or dam, is the little green 'tree frog'. The only downside to their introduction is the cacophony of noise emanating from the nightly 'froggies' chorus', which can, depending on their numbers, be almost deafening!

The odds are, anyway, that this species will soon find a newly established pond.

Various journals and websites advise pondkeepers to get rid of frogs, as they are liable to bring disease to one's fish; however, I have had several types of frogs in my ponds [here in Cyprus] and none of my fishstock ever suffered.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.