North Cyprus Tourist Board - This is now a time for the N Cyprus lawyers to put right their wrongs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > This is now a time for the N Cyprus lawyers to put right their wrongs

This is now a time for the N Cyprus lawyers to put right their wrongs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

Aga Buyers A G

Message Posted:
07/10/2008 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Today we received an email from our lawyer, who it appears unlike some lawyers is actually carrying out his duties to the best of his abilities, very professionally and without fleecing us, which it appears from other stories we have read is a rarity.

http://latchfords.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!AED4FE7679CA3C33!1279.entry

cyprusishome

Message Posted:
07/10/2008 13:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

Well said ladies, sensible and restrained as always.

My own repeat, confiscate his assets and get rid of the scum. If they will not then a full expanation of why not should be given.

One thing for certain neither of these will happen, do not need much intelligence to understand why.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/10/2008 16:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

I have come across a decent responsible lawyer - her English is not first class but she has the assistance of a very competent translator who also took on the role of "solictors clerk". The combination gave us superb quality of service (on a joint will) at a very competitive price.

Based in Famagusta I am happy to give details but off board.

tom@iah-holidays.co.uk

PtePike

Message Posted:
07/10/2008 17:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Msg 3,

Considering the laws of Cyprus are laid down in English, I would be wary of a "lawyer" who did not have full command of the language.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
07/10/2008 18:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

Hi PtePike, re Msg 4

1] Do they still work in* or write legal documents in English?

Do they write new laws in English or Turkish and which language do they translate new laws from if they do write in both languages.

2] The ability to write and read competent good English does not reflect on the ability or lack of it to speak in a similar quality of English.

fire starter

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 13:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

flight holiday,

what pike is getting at is that all the lawyers here say they trained and qualified in the uk.

to qualify in the uk you need to speak and write english to a good standard!

a law degree does not make you a qualified lawyer.

elko2

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Oh dear dear, more and more ...... from our private Pike. For TRNC:

1. All pleadings have to be in Turkish since Turkish is the only official language of TRNC.

2. All trials take place in Turkish and an official interpreter is provided for English and if any other language is involved they do their best to get a suitable interpreter.

3. All decisions and judgements are given in Turkish.

4. In 1960 when the Cyprus Republic was established we had a set of Cyprus Laws as was prepared by the colonial power. From Ausust 1960 onwards the laws passed in parliament including amendments were in Greek and Turkish.

5. From 23rd December 1963 when the troubles broke out, The turkish side accepted the laws as they were and from that point onwards made its own laws and did not recognize any laws made by the Greek side.

6. Until 1960 all Turkish Cypriot lawyers were trained in England either at the Inns or the universities, thus qualifying as barristers or LLB degrees.

7. ran out!!

elko2

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 14:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

New Rule it must be, max. no. of characters 1000!!

Continued from above:

7. From 1960 onwards great majority of lawyers are trained in Turkey and in the last few years fromTRNC universities.

8. In order to practice law in TRNC all lawyers have to register with the Bar but before doing so they must have one year training with an advocate of at least 5 years standing and they must also pass the Bar examination which is held under the supervision of the High Court.

9. I have not heard of any lawyer claiming to be trained in England if that is not the case and indeed there is absolutely no advantage in such a claim.

However I do know of an advocate who put up a "SOLICITOR" banner outside his office and he had to take it down by order of the prsident of the district court. A Barrister can put up a suitable sign becaue that is a qualification similar to LLB but a "Solicitor" is not a qualification, it indicates a membership of the law society of England or whatever.

ismet

flightholiday

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 14:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

So am I right to say; the crux of it is that a good competent legal team need to work and think in Turkish?

They would probably also be better equiped if their legal training was not in the UK as their UK trained thinking might not equate to that of the Turkish / Cypriot trained Avokat?

Rather like it is better to use an British trained Barrister to represent you in court in English (Orams + Booth)

elko2

Message Posted:
08/10/2008 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Tom,

The basic laws here are much the same as the English laws but by jolly the thinking is much different. There are times when I look at the law and say it should be so and so and my wife says the courts will not agree with you and she is often right. The judges are selected from the advocates and after some time they have their peculiar way of looking at things. I made a name for myself (as a private busybody) for going against the grain and winning cases but by jolly no advocate will work and research so hard on a single case as I do just for fun and enjoyment. Hobbies come in all shapes and colours

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.