North Cyprus Tourist Board - Cyprus Greek and Turkey oil dispute
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Cyprus Greek and Turkey oil dispute

Cyprus Greek and Turkey oil dispute

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

davidoff

Message Posted:
11/09/2007 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 10 in Discussion

Hi all,

Interested to know if anyone has any more news or information on this subject as I only know briefly what is happening??

That oil has been discovered in the med in waters belonging to cyprus, north cyprus and turkey- but south cyprus doesnt want to share the fortune of the oil with turkey and north cyprus and apparently turkey has threatened military action if they drill for the oil??

Any moree news or articles about this topic would be great??

See ya D

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/09/2007 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 10 in Discussion

The gas oil resources in the Mediterranean continue to be the sources of new global tensions rather than regional collaboration. While most people claim that collaboration enables the co-working, co-production and co-living of different cultures and civilizations, Southern Cyprus uses the collaboration opportunities to poison the regional political climate and to support the conflicts.

Southern Cyprus shows a great reaction to the news about Turkey sending oil search ships to Cyprus. The Greek Cypriot spokesman Vassilis Palmas claims “Turkey is violating the international law”.

Spokesman Palmas states that the Southern Cyprus is carrying out works on the tenders for oil and gas searches in the framework of the international law by using sovereign rights of the Southern Cyprus.

While the Southern Cyprus spokesman Palmas, remembers the international law only in the case of oil and interprets it as he wishes, says “we will continue using our sovereign rights in the framework of international legitimization”, in the background of those words is the traditional Greek Cypriot desire to create artificial crisis to draw the European Union’s attention to himself before the European Union end-of-year summit.

Every year before December Southern Cyprus attempts to create a crisis and tries to force the European Union to take sides with its own unfair attitude and lead the Turkish-European Union relations into a new dead end.

The ones supporting Southern Cyprus attitude are too blame like Southern Cyprus’ attitude. The USA Ambassador to the Southern Cyprus Ronald Schlicher said that the activities regarding the first phase of the tender launched by the Southern Cyprus for the oil and gas search works from the economic exclusive zone of the country were completely legal. In fact, the Greek Cypriot Minister of Finance Rum Antonis Michaelides said that he took courage from the remarks of the USA ambassador in Southern Nicosia (Lefkoşa) Schlicher and British Ambassador Peter Millett about the sovereign rights of the Southern Cyprus.

Declaring the Eastern Mediterranean as its own “Economic Exclusive Zone”, Southern Cyprus reactions to Turkey’s attempts in the UN to stop its move meaning “the Greek Cypriot invasion the Eastern Mediterranean”.

Aiming at the invasion of the Eastern Mediterranean, the Southern Cyprus interprets Turkey’s peaceful efforts for preventing this as “Turkish threats”, but despite that it is still the “primary source of instability” in the region.

Southern Cyprus will adopt the appearance of “justified but weak and aggrieved country under threat” – as in many decades- after its decision to launch the oil and natural gas search works in the Eastern Mediterranean on August 16th and after Turkey’s reaction will try to create a severe crisis. This style is lacking creativeness and surprising no one any more, Maybe Turkey should declare Economic Exclusive Zone in the Eastern Mediterranean and the Aegean Sea.

ukturk

Message Posted:
11/09/2007 22:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 10 in Discussion

What is Economic Exclusive Zone?

As adopted by the Third Law of the Sea on 10 December 1982, it is a concept of international law granting certain sovereign rights, both under and within the seabed, to a coastal state, over an area starting from the coast and extending up to 200 miles into the open sea.

A state declaring Economic Exclusive Zone exercises the right regarding research, exploitation, protection and management of living and non-living natural resources within and under the seabed in the area concerned. The coastal state enjoys the right of establishing and using artificial islands, facilities and buildings, conducting regional researches, protecting and taking care of the sea surroundings and making regulations related to customs, finance, health and immigration.

davidoff

Message Posted:
12/09/2007 00:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 10 in Discussion

Hi ukturk,

Interesting reading!!

But could you please put this now into "simple english short story text for me"

As I dont understand half of what you just said so a "simple version" woul;d be appreciated!!

Sorry to sound a bit stupid here- but I never was goos at all this legal, political and aconomic jargon and phrasing!!

See ya D

ukturk

Message Posted:
12/09/2007 15:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 10 in Discussion

hi there davidoff

ill translate it for you in lame man terms L.O.L basically each country that has got sea around them have the right from the coast till 200 miles out to sea to call it their own according to the law of the sea 1982.

greece are complaing to anyone who will listen that turkey is commiting a law in sending oil ships and tankers to these areas around north cyprus and turkey because north cyprus is not reconised and turkey is not in the e.u so they say we dont have any rights in the sea issue but this is a nato law (which turkey is a part off) aswell as a e.u law and this oil belongs to south cyprus and now '2 idiots' i mean ambassadores from the u.s and u.k that are based in south cyprus agree with this so this another argument that turkey and n cyprus look like the bad ones

sorry to go into all the politcal jargon i sometimes do get carried away

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
12/09/2007 15:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 10 in Discussion

This 200 mile zone is an interesting one. Countries will often do what they can to prove their case. Russia is the other recent issue where they are claiming rights to the Artic region, much to the dismay of Denmark, Norway, the US and Canada who also claim rights to this region.

This could be a tricky situation in Cyprus. I wonder how far Turkey would go to get their share. I have heard though that there may not be that much oil in that region.

davidoff

Message Posted:
12/09/2007 16:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 10 in Discussion

Hi all,

Cheers for the simple version for me l.o.l!!

So under nato law NC and turkey are entitled to their fair share then??

But if they dont go according to nato law which turkey is in then turkey has a good fight on their hands??

But who is more powerful then nato law or eu law??

Also if they decide to ignore the nato law- then if I were turkey I would withdraw from the nato if they are going to choose as and when nato rules apply??

But also this is yet again cyprus dictating as they know that turkey and NC are not in the eu so they have chosen to go with the eu law in order to win their battle again!!!

SO THEORETICALLY IF ONLY ONE COUNTRY BELONGS TO THE EU AND BOTH BELONG TO NATO THEN THEY SHOULD FOLLOW THE RULES OF THE NATO IN ALL MORAL AND LEAGL ISSUES SUCH AS THIS??

Or have I waffled on too much- have I gone off the track here somewhere??

See ya D

YFred

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 01:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 10 in Discussion

No Davidoff,

if South Cyprus does not come to an agreement, they will not see a drop of oil. Just like Greece. Turkey is too powerfull for them and perfectly capable of protecting her interests even by force if necessary.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 06:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 10 in Discussion

Once again the gc's want it all...they are known as the greedy greeks and they well live up to that reputation..the ROC is made up of morally and integrity bankrupt ministers and there arrogance must make true Greeks cringe with embarassment....I hope Turkey carries out her threat over this oil mess and protects her and the interests of the tc's here...

I have said before and I will say again, Turkey is an important component in NATO, she is prepared to send her troops to protect when asked but is vetoed and at this moment blocked from entering the EU...this is disgraceful.

deecyprus4

Message Posted:
08/05/2009 07:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 10 in Discussion

Having said that...I hope Turkey sides with Russia, Syria and the East and says shove it to the EU.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.