North Cyprus Tourist Board - Voting for RESIDENTS in TRNC
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Voting for RESIDENTS in TRNC

Voting for RESIDENTS in TRNC

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Residence Permits

» Read about Work Permits

birdman

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 12:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Whilst expat. and other non-ethnic residents in Northern Cyprus have NO voting rights, any government here can and do ignore all our protestations about inequality, housing problems, residency rights etc.etc..

That's why we are NOT given voting rights, specifically to STOP us from voting for changes that may improve our lot here.

We chose to come here though and must therefore accept that until these anomalies are addressed, and changed, then we have no voice in the running of this country.

If we HAD voting rights, there are enough of us permanently living here to have a strong voice, to vote IN politicians, or indeed vote OUT politicians who do not comply to the voters wishes. Nepotism reigns!! That's WHY we will not be given FULL residency (with its voting rights) for a long time to come!

This has been my permanent home for the last 7 years and yet I am still only "temporary" resident. There must be many more like me who would love to have a vote. What are they afraid of

Marion

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 12:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

This change in the law re residence/citizen is totally political. too much to write here but i agree with all you say, and am very disappointed that my chosen place of residence will not recognise what it offered years ago when i came to live here -i.e. a route to citizenship and full involvement in my 'home country', but it is all to do with the south, the negotiations, the amount of Turks etc, etc.

If I had conbtinued to bang my head against the wall, I would be totally senseless (well, a little more than already). So we wait!

malsancak

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 12:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

and, as a temporary resident, if a faulty blood test was to indicate you were HIV positive you could be deported! As a non-citizen you don't even have the basic right of protest that people throughout the Middle East are currently laying down their lives to achieve

martinD41

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 13:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

It's not unique,Where I come from a foreigner must apply for a work permit,which will only be granted" annually" if He/She offers a skill/Trade which cannot be filled by locals..He/She must apply for a Housing licence (usually granted for 4 years,and is tied to the job) He/She will not be on the Electoral register,nor be aloud to demonstrate..When the contract is finished He/She must Leave the Island within 28 days, or face Deportation and a non return Ban of 5 years........Here's one for the books...If a local leaves the Island for 10 consecutive years they loose their Local Status.. Good Eh!

malsancak

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

martinD41, is that country in the EU too?

martinD41

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 15:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

No, it has what they call a "Special Relationship"(with the EU)It is part of the British Isles but is self Governed and not part of the UK...It's Laws are typically French,although they are not written down, so to some are seen as something of a paradox ...

Marion

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 19:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Friend of mine was on your island working and is now in Australia, which has is own set of rules, but th big difference between your island, Ausralia and mayother places is that the rules donot change overnight with no notification and no redress. I have lived in a few places where I had to have permission to reside/work/stay but those rule were consistent and did not changeevery year! I think that is the really aggravatingaspect for many people here.

Bythe way folks, I am notyreally a rotten typist, but this NEW machine keeps missing letters out that my fingers are gaily bashing. Sorry.

Brinsley

Message Posted:
07/04/2011 19:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Msg 7

I was wondering, thinking the local hooch had taken hold of you!!

Richard

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.