North Cyprus Tourist Board - Any information on neighbours dangerous dogs
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Any information on neighbours dangerous dogs

Any information on neighbours dangerous dogs

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

parkview

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 18:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 33 in Discussion

Can anyone give me some advice please, our little terrier dog was attacked by a neighbour's 4 dogs 2 days ago, 2 boxers and 2 pointers, thank god we were here as she would have been ripped to shreds, thankfully the vet stitched her up in 3 places and gave her antibiotic injections. This is not the first time these dogs have escaped, about a year ago they did the same to another neighbour's dog while she was walking it on a lead, unfortunately a few months later the dog died. They have ripped one of the old farmers goats throat and savaged chickens. She has offered to pay the vets bill which is not the point, I am more worried about the fact these dogs are obviously very dangerous and I have a 4 1/2 year old child, god forbid they went for her. They have even jumped over our wall into our garden. I have heard from several people that the local council and police are not interested, has anyone else had an experience like this and what did you do?

parkview

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 18:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 33 in Discussion

I have had dogs all my life and the thing that concerns me most is as there is 4 of them they act like a pack, she has said she cannot do anything, they got out when she drove her car into the drive. What if my daughter had been with my dog, it does not bear thinking about.

parkview

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 18:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 33 in Discussion

Forgot to mention she is English, and lives down the road, not next door.

racoonchic

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 18:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 33 in Discussion

sad news..what did she have to say

parkview

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 20:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 33 in Discussion

Obviously she was sorry and offered to pay for vet but said that she couldn't do anything as the dogs just got out when she drove her car in. But as I said this is not the first time this has happened. She just can't control them, and they are obviously dangerous. They are rescue dogs like most of us have.

hollylou

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 20:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 33 in Discussion

please dont leave it till they possibly could get your daughter make her aware of your fear of her dogs near your child tell her you ARE going to speak to police about it and do so .

Tango1

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 21:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 33 in Discussion

We have a very similiar thing happen to our little dog last year. A TC down the road from us had has really nasty mixture of a female who pinned our little one to the ground and ripped skin, muscle and bone and fur. He escaped and was severely traumatised. Firdez operated on him stitched him up all of the place and he was on a drip for hours. We took dozens of photos whilst he was being operated on and the next day took the pictures to Lapta police who were horrified and promised to go to the house and insist the dog was tethered. They never went!! I took the photos to the woman concerned (she is a solicitor) who said she was sorry and would pick up the bill. She hasn't!! Her dog has since has two litters and still she wanders outside her own territory.

The police do not want to know, particularly if its one of their own.

Tango1

Hideaway

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 23:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 33 in Discussion

Anyone is entitled to pass comment on situations that arise here, however, it would be nice if those concerned got their facts straight first. Yes the dogs involved in this distressing incident are mine! Firstly only 3 dogs were present 2 pointers and 1 brown boxer, my white boxer was shut behind the gates at my home. Yes, they have escaped on a few occasions much to my concern and frustration. The 2 pointers being hunting dogs seem to think that very small dogs are prey as I have no problems with them integrating with medium and large dogs. I was mortified when this incident occurred and once I had rounded up the dogs and taken them home I went straight round to visit the family concerned and to apologise and offer any assistance I could such as paying the vets bill which was the least I felt I could do. Incidentally the little dog also spoken about that died, was very old and sick and did not die as a result of the actions of my dogs. These dogs are not dangerous

Hideaway

Message Posted:
08/04/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 33 in Discussion

(cont'd from previous post)in any way to children as friends with young children often visit and although the pointers are somewhat boisterous at times there has never been a problem. The boxers will just lick you to death, particularly the brown one! A friend of mine and her 5 year old son are coming to stay with me from Sunday for the entire summer, she is not worried atall about the dogs. I should also point out that the little terrier that the pointers went for is continually allowed to run out into the road which is actually where he was when it happened! He constantly chases and barks at anyone or anything that passes. I am surprised that he hasn't been run over before now. Whilst, none of what I have said is any excuse for what happened, it seems not only myself but also the owners of this dog have become more vigilant since the incident as I have not seen their dog run out into the road again. As for the chickens none have ever been 'savaged' by any of my dogs to my knowledge!

hawkeye

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 00:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 33 in Discussion

a similar thing happened in Karsiyaka a while ago, the belydir was told, and they came and tore down the kennels . Only 1 dog attacked the child

There were approx 11 dogs, the belydir took them away leaving 3. The belydir has also checked regularily in case the dogs haave increased again.

In annother very recent incident in Edremit our friend was attacked by a Kangol dog, the back of her body warmer saved her from a very nasty bite.............The police were not interested although they no that this dog has done in many times.........

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 02:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 33 in Discussion

Hideaway - DeNial is in Egypt! a PACK of dogs is a dangerous thing to have. The pack mentality takes over. the fact no child has been ripped to shreds yet is pure luck - the mother and child staying with you, frankly, are taking a huge risk. You clearly cannot control these animals, if they got out the car as you were in your drive, before you shut your gates - clearly you haven't trained them to sit on command and wait until your next command. You cannot say what the other dog died of - dogs can be savaged and limp through life for a few months before the shock and trauma and resultant injuries take their terminal toll. Why the hell have you got four dogs? that is three too many. These four dogs are an accident waiting to happen and it will NOT be their fault - the fault will be 100% yours - and all the weasel words in the world, won't give an animal or child their life back.........

snd1966

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 07:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 33 in Discussion

Why does she have four dogs because as it states in message 5 they are rescue dogs like most of us have. Probably pity clicked in and I feel sorry for all concerned, I have three through being soft and as I have said before it has put us off dogs for life never again the responsibility is far too great. Due to pack instinct I walk in the mountains, going out my way to avoid humans and animals to make sure nothing distracts my pack. I extremely lucky living where we live there are no dogs in the immediate area to challenge what they would call their territory and could cause local problems. Like MsGarnet states yes the fault would be the owners but i would still feel pity and understanding how the situation arose. Fingers crossed you can all reach an understanding and it is a happy ending and not too stressful for all concerned

parkview

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 11:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 33 in Discussion

Re mssg hideaway

First of all there were 4 dogs not 3, secondly you did not control them you stood outside your gate up the road, it was only due to the fact that I pulled up in my car and put my horn on the 2 pointers ran away and my partner seperated the other 2. My terrior does run into the road, but gets under the gate which we are having rectified. She does not go up to other peoples property and can she explain her 2 boxers on previous occassions getting into my garden? where I have once again had to seperate them from my dog. I am sure that the dogs are fine with friends children but if they are in a savaging frenzy like the other day and my daughter had been running and screaming I am sure they would not have licked her! The reason you have not seen our dog is she has 3 sets of stitches and very traumatised, so she has not wanted to venture out into the garden. I came round to see you yesterday, could not obviously come into your property due to your dogs going beserk

parkview

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 33 in Discussion

I stood outside shouting out to you and honking my horm, your doors were open but nobody came out. I know you were very distressed about this incident but believe me not as distressed as we were and I am fearful this will happen again, but next time it will be too late. My dog does bark when people pass the property but would never attack, she is a terrior not a big dog and the whole point of this conversation is 4 dogs have a pack mentality, your 2 boxers attack each other sometimes when you are passing on the lead with them and you say they are jealous of each other. The vets bill waits your earliest attention please.

Ballyboffin

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 12:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 33 in Discussion

You do have to ask why a 60 year old woman would want 4 big dogs that she obviously cannot control. I do understand that they are rescued dogs but it sounds like they have become a hunting pack. Quote Hideaway,

'The 2 pointers being hunting dogs seem to think that very small dogs are prey as I have no problem with them integrating with medium or large dogs'

She even admits that they have escaped before 'much to my concern and frustration' !!!!!

Good God woman, you certainly would be 'concerned' if your dogs do attack a child that they think of as 'prey'!

How would this situation be dealt with in the UK ???? The RSPCA would be there in a flash.

parkview I would seek all the help I could to have the dogs removed in case they do anymore damage, why should you have to worry about even letting your child play outside in case they escape. Once a dog has tasted fresh blood it will continue to attack.

rachw

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 13:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 33 in Discussion

Was it one of these dogs which was shot by the hunters?

dizzycows

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 13:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 33 in Discussion

If they dogs have attacked other dogs in such a way that they caused injuries, think in all honesty Hideaway, for your own peace of mind, i would have no hesitation to have these dogs put down.

It may sound cruel to you, but the dogs are behaving as a pack and will kill something before long if not kept under complete control by you, who should be the Alfa 1 !! Clearly you are not, so the choice is yours, have dogs that are a worry to you and your fellow neighbours or do the correct thing and sort....

parkview

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 33 in Discussion

I think it was one of the boxers not sure which one though.

hollylou

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 14:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 33 in Discussion

well said message 17

astonhilbilly

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 17:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 33 in Discussion

Have to agree with message 17 - before it's too late!!

Avril

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 17:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 33 in Discussion

A few years ago my son and myself were attacked by ONE dog.

The dog attacked my son and I jumped on the dog to get him off my son. The dog turned on me (which I was thankful for because it meant it wasn't attacking my son.

All I can say is thank God my husband was there to pull the dog off us or our injuries could have been much worse. We ended up having to go to hospital and have been left with both physical and mental scars.

That was ONE dog . . . .how the hell are you meant to protect your child or yourself against 4 dogs, especially if they are acting as a pack.

I can't believe your neighbour hasn't rectified the problem - absolute IGNORANCE. And why on earth are they not chained up???

I truly hope your neigbour reads this and every other message on this posting and makes the correct decision. I know she probably adores her dogs, but they have already proved to be vicious - what will it take for her to act responsibly???

Hideaway

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 33 in Discussion

Well I am sorry to disappoint you all but I am not going to have any of my dogs put down as you suggest. I have been round to see my neighbours and paid the vets bill which i would have done in any case without having to be reminded! We have discussed the situation at great length and I have taken on board theirs and everyone else's comments. Please let this be an end to this thread and allow us to sort things out for ourselves! I don't think anything else said is going to be atall helpful to an already difficult situation. Thanks

AnthonySmith

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 19:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 33 in Discussion

With an attitude like that, Hideaway, I'm sure that things won't be sorted out. An accident waiting to happen. I've lost count of how many owners have said that their dogs wouldn't hurt a fly - normally after hurting a child, or other dogs.

I know, I've sat through two RSPCA cases in the UK. An owner devastated and horrified by events. But who refused to listen to reason.

negativenick

Message Posted:
09/04/2011 19:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 33 in Discussion

you thought of getting an Akita inu ???

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 01:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 33 in Discussion

Whilst one acknowledges one can't reason with an unreasonable person - we are all putting hope over experience because we KNOW that there WILL be a tragedy - 100% - it is not a matter of if, it is a matter of when! Hideaway - you acknowledge you have had many problems with this pack of dogs, yet seem to think that throwing money at any resultant problems is as far as your moral compass is required to turn - you are WRONG! You don't have the strength of youth to keep them contained, nor does their past history engender trust that you or they won't transgress again. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE listen to sense, and reduce the pack - IF you love them, let them go - either to new owners or to sleep - or you may as well spend every day with a hand grenade in your hand - one day, the pin will fall out........

berkeh2001

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 06:06

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 33 in Discussion

hi parkview i am sorry this has happened to you i think you live in alsancak and the council should look in to this matter . but if i am wrong and you live in lapta please do come to belediye ( lapta council ) and i assure you the matter will be looked into . any dogs which do attack will be taken away by the local council and police will be involved ( turkish or english ) . the dogs are will to be put down . make sure your dogs do not get out from your property and any dogs which are found on the street will be put down as well . when you take your pets out for a walk please do pick up your dogs litter some people are not and we are taking this very seriously . thank you

spider

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 06:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 33 in Discussion

I think that both people who were involved in this have now spoken and are trying hard to get things sorted between themselves..Its best left to them..Its MHO that it should be closed now..Both have been on,read and took on peoples advice. Best of luck..

Spider,X

hawkeye

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 11:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 33 in Discussion

Like I said tell the Belydir and they should deal with it . Lapta and Alsancak take this very seriously. I have seen with my own eyes just how seriously Lapta take it. Its a great pity that more dont take on their example. Lapta are a very good Belydir in my opinion.

Dreamydiver

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 12:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 33 in Discussion

As a dog lovers, we have a huge Japanese Akita....rescused by a kind lady who couldn't control it as a pup and then taken in my us, I hope I don't offend people.

There are too many unwanted dogs here and yes, it is far too easy to give in to pity and 'rescue' them. Perhaps I have missed organised neutering programmes or training programes, do they run here?

We spent several hundred pounds on training Ziggy, money well worth spending. We had no idea that the bundle of fur would really grow into a hulk of 50k our problems now (as ever) lie with the owners of small yappy dogs who don't control them as they run (off lead) barking at her. Training has taught her to rise above it. So NN please don't slander a particular breed .....ANY dog can turn (even trained ones to be honest) if threatened / mistreated and add a pack mentality into the mix...you are asking for trouble.

TRAIN and NEUTER please!

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 14:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 33 in Discussion

One has to ask, are the four dogs in question neutered or spayed? If not, they should be - immediately. To say the thread should be closed whilst this woman continues her tunnel vision/head in the sand attitude is NOT going to save the lives of any animals or humans this pack WILL eventually maim or even destroy. For the owner to feel "concern" and "frustrated" is so weak, it is off the scale. Note - no denial of a goat having its throat ripped open either - as regards the chickens "not that I know of" well - maybe the owners of said chickens have learned, no point talking to a brick wall. To take in four strays is taking on four potentially emotionally damaged animals - powder kegs, unpredictable to put it mildly. The boxers (we used to have boxers) lick you to death? They are powerful dogs, and the pointers "somewhat boisterous" and "see little dogs as prey"? oh dear - you SAY you have taken on board what has been said - no you haven't - selective hearing - PLEASE re-think...

negativenick

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 19:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 31 of 33 in Discussion

mess 29 - as an akita inu owner myself (mine is the smaller japanese dog, your's by the sound of it is the larger american akita,) - i wasn't offering anything other than sensible advice...

the OP has a big problem that isn't likely to go away - by getting an akita inu (i wouldn't recommend the american one, like yours as its too large for most homes,) you'd be getting a loving, intellegent family pet that's good with children, rarely barks, and would be the best guard dog you could imagine - if the 4 dogs had tried to do a similar thing round my place, they wouldn't have repeated it and would have gone away with their tails between their legs..

There is a man in south cyprus that breeds Pure bread Akita Inu's, called Panos - link to his website below:

http://www.shohagoken.com/shohagoken/

picture / and more details about Afkita inu - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_akita

and picture / detals of larger American akita - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_

ColinCB

Message Posted:
10/04/2011 20:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 32 of 33 in Discussion

Hi Parkview, As you may note, I don't make many posts on 44. I use it for the purpose for which I am sure it was intended, as a source of exchange of useful information, not, as it is missued on occasions, as "Gripe Board" for tired old farts with nothing better to do but run down other people.

Whilst on the subject of "running down," I would mention that there is a little terrier living at the top left of Kizilay Sokat which is causes chaos. The thing is left to run loose both night and day and has, on many occasions, run out of it owners gateway and chases and barks incessantly at passers by. I past there daily both on foot and by van and it has both worried me and caused me to brake and swerve my van numerous time, putting both me and my passengers at risk. To compound matters, there has been a pile of builders rubble left for the last few months restricting the turning right where this dog patrols . On one of it sojourns, I will not be able to avoid it.

negativenick

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 14:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 33 of 33 in Discussion

mess 32 - old farts ???

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.