North Cyprus Tourist Board - Buying a house near a military area
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Buying a house near a military area

Buying a house near a military area

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

flyer

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 00:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 24 in Discussion

Does anyone know if there are any rules regarding non Turkish Cypriot's buying property close to military camps? The actual property in question has been built & lived in by TC's for 15 years & they have the Kocan. There are also a number of other houses in the road, some closer to the military area than this one. The military area can not be seen from the property, but is about 100 meters away (we think). Can any one advise of any known issues?

Marion

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 00:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 24 in Discussion

double check with a lawyer. As far as I know the regulations in existence for quite a while have not changed, and no foreigner was allowed to purchase within a certain distance of any military estab lishment. Mind you, we looked at one and were told there were ways round it, but we were not prepared to take the chance. But that was 8 years ago. the only person who can really advise is a lawyer.

good luck with the quest.

flyer

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 01:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks Marion, I intended to speak to a lawyer tomorrow anyway, but I just wondered if anyone else had come across this situation to confirm it really exists.

Marion

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 01:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 24 in Discussion

and just in case you read this before you go to bed, I have heard of other people - well not just 'heard' but know personally, so it is certainly a fact (or was!). Don't know why, because I can't think that we would be spies, but..... just as I can never understand why you have to slow down when going past a military establishment. I would have thought if anyone wanted to throw a bomb , a slow speed would have made it easier. But it is all part of accepting what is here and living by it.

and I would be interested in hearing how you get on!

misunderstood

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 06:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 24 in Discussion

Do not buy near a military establishment unless you are Turkish Cypriot,

Camelot buyers still still do not have their Kocans (foreigners) because it is by a military base and their builder is one of the better ones. You will not get your Permission to Purchase but if you are Turkish Cypriot you wont need PTP, DO REMEMBER though even if you are TC your resale market is limited. Your best bet would be to ask Marion Stokes - Home Buyers Pressure Group if you find this hard to believe. YOur Advocate, well, lets just say, ask Marion Google HOme Buyers Pressure Group and her telephone number and e mail is there.

No Kocan - No Money That measn Kocan in YOUR name not the Vendors

flyer

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 19:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 24 in Discussion

Thanks, we all know that there are some quirky rules here, some we love, some we don't & a lot we just don't understand. The crazy thing here is what is the difference? I can live in the house forever by paying rent just not alowed to own it! Really quite bazaar!

Stewart

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 20:21

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 24 in Discussion

yes there are problems unless you are a TC

Do not part with any money until you have recieved permission to purchase...and then, only after registration

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 24 in Discussion

flyer (mess 1)

Be really careful! and always remember "No Kocan No Money" It doesn't matter if the TC owners of the property have the Kocan in their name you more than likely wont get Permission to Purchase, and then you won't get the DEEDS!

Also be very careful with the so called Lawyers? most are not Lawyers as we know in the civilized world! to buy anything in the TRNC you need Radar against corruption in the back of your head!

Good Luck

Zoots

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 22:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 24 in Discussion

Msg 6 flyer wrote: "Thanks, we all know that there are some quirky rules here, some we love, some we don't & a lot we just don't understand. The crazy thing here is what is the difference? I can live in the house forever by paying rent just not alowed to own it! Really quite bazaar!"

If things get much worse it's only a matter of time before Turkey refuses PTP to native Turkish Cypriots as well. After all, here they are also considered foreigners to the Ana vatar - and they can cause a damn sight more trouble for Ankara as well!

Zoots

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 22:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 24 in Discussion

Marion msg 4 wrote: "and just in case you read this before you go to bed, I have heard of other people - well not just 'heard' but know personally, so it is certainly a fact (or was!). Don't know why, because I can't think that we would be spies, but..... just as I can never understand why you have to slow down when going past a military establishment. I would have thought if anyone wanted to throw a bomb , a slow speed would have made it easier. But it is all part of accepting what is here and living by it."

For those on guard duty, it's a lot harder to open fire on and hit a fast-moving target.

0maintenance

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 22:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 24 in Discussion

I thought a non TC/Turkish could not own a property within 500 meters of a military base/camp.

I am not 100% positive,but im sure it will not be difficult to find out for sure.

Zoots

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 23:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 24 in Discussion

msg 11,

If you know the right people and are prepared to pay a little "bakshish" you can get anything here - even a get out of jail card.

0maintenance

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 23:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 24 in Discussion

Zoots.

Im sorry i cannot or wont comment on your post.

Maybe because i have no idea what your talking about !

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 23:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 24 in Discussion

Omaintenance (mess 13)

I think Zoots is trying to say that theTRNC has no "LAW" ? in other words money "SPEAKS" ? and if you have no money you can "GO AWAY"!!!!!

Sounds about right!

Marion

Message Posted:
12/04/2011 23:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 24 in Discussion

Yes, I often wonder when (???) I win that one hundred million pounds on the Euro Lottery and bring it over here. Do you think I might be able to become a citizen and have a house where I choose? Or will i just be treated the same as the mere mortal I am.

But come one, let's be fair. Money speaks just about everywhere in the world, and the TRNC is no different. My problem is that I do not have the right language. It is the old saying 'one law for the rich and another for the poor' but my parents always taught me to accept my place, so there is no point getting bitter and twisted. We all have to accept the limitations of where we live and I for one, although I would like to change much, am extremely happy to live in a place where I feel safe and not have to worry as to whethe r my car will have any wheels in the morning, or whether on going away might find the place ransacked on my return.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 09:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 24 in Discussion

Er... Marion, TRNC has signed up to EU/UN protocols - that includes 'Human Rights' - so why is Cyprus [North & South] allowed to enjoy the exclusivity of not being obliged to comply with the rules?

flyer

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 12:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 24 in Discussion

Still, can somebody explain why I am alowed to live there (by renting) but not owning?

misunderstood

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 12:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 24 in Discussion

Logic - don't think they ever apply that. They will let you buy it, but not own it too.

TRNC victim, money defintely talks, it is always saying goodbye to me.

Marion, I think you may be in for a rude awakening - flowerpots taken, how long do you thnk it will be before it is wheels, or syphoning out your petrol, or stealing your gas bottles (they did that in the south in 1996) and washing from your line?? Times they are a changing.

negativenick

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 14:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 24 in Discussion

easy this one:

Don't

near military of not - don't buy in the trnc, its too risky.....

you might as well buy on the Gaza strip (at least it's warm in the winter, too...)

raidercruise

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 16:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 24 in Discussion

buying a property near military area is like wasting your money, specially if you are foreigners. You will never ever get your deeds. So be careful

Hector

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 23:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 24 in Discussion

I was told in 2006 that buying my apartment on Turkish title land near an army camp was 'no problem' with regards PTP which was a mere formality. Strange then that I was refused PTP.

Obvious advice really, is don't buy anywhere near an army camp. Best advice of all is don't buy at all in Cyprus, north or south.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
13/04/2011 23:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 24 in Discussion

Hector (mess 21)

I couldn't agree more "DON'T BUY AT ALL IN CYPRUS" either "NORTH OR SOUTH" you do so at your peril!

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 24 in Discussion

I'm 'in the same boat' as Hector, except that I bought in 2005. The government, advocates and estate agents, ALL knew about this policy - i.e., 'No PTP to be granted to foreigners who buy pre '74 Turkish Title.' They certainly did a 'good' cover up job. Even now, there are no maps available that define 'off limits' military areas and potential buyers are still being blatantly lied to.

I thoroughly echo the sound advice of 'misunderstood', 'TRNCvictim' and 'Hector'.

If that's not good enough for you, then research the HBPG [Home Buyers Pressure Group] archives and also the advice from the FCO [Foreign & Commonwealth Office]. This advice also applies, equally, to ANY property of whatever [euphemistic] designation.

If you buy after that, you 'need your head read!'

Bishop

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 08:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 24 in Discussion

DO NOT BUY IN TRNC under any circumstances there is no law to compel the vendor to give you the kochan when you have paid for it .

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.