North Cyprus Tourist Board - State schools in or near Karaoglanoglu
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > State schools in or near Karaoglanoglu

State schools in or near Karaoglanoglu

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Schools Posts

Lollita

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 08:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi, I am new to the forum and would be very interested to find out about the state schools, if there are any, in or not too far from Karaoglanoglu. I just found out from the forum that there are good recommendations for Miss Judy's Nursery, which got me very interested. If I could find a good State School around there, then I would start thinking of relocating from Famagusta to Girne area.

Many thanks.

fishh

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

hi my daughter is 7 she attended miss judys until yr 1 and now at karaoglanoglu local school with other english and uk turkish cypriot children not all in same class obviously.

she is very happy dont believe all the negative stuff about state schools.

Many parents from the uk who have sent their children to karaoglanoglu said best thing for them.

depends what age your child if under 5 i would say start at Judy's first, if english is going to be 1st language spoken.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 11:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Karaoglaoglu state school has an excellent reputation and I agree with fissh... state schools are better than everyone makes out.

Our kids are younger and go to our local school in Karsiyaka - they love it and are fluent in both Turkish (from school) and English (from home)

GOOD LUCK,

G

bigOz

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 15:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

The state (high) school at Karaoğlanoğlu is called "Oğuz Veli" and is a new establishment (4 years old). The school is good, but faces the same problems (to a lesser extent though) most private schools face with regards to discipline. However, the level of education and the quality of teaching is a lot higher than any private school I know of in Girne. My son studies there, and I know for a fact that his level of Maths, Science, and computing (IT) is same as those, at least 2 years older than him, attending the private schools in/around Girne! (...and he is not what I would call "top of his class" either).

I'd say go for it, and do not worry about the estate schools in Girne.

Kaymak

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 15:17

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Hi,

State schools are ok,but the only problem teaching is half day almost 3 hr tution a day ,i believe that students shoudl be involved in learning actiities more than3 hrs also check for curriculums/standards etc.. .Also you need to consider the English language element.

Hope this helps.

Lollita

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 16:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Thank you very much for all the comments. Fishh, could you tell me what's the Primary School called please? I am very interested to find out more about it.

fishh

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 16:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

karaoglanoglu ilkokulu opposite side to Tempo supermarket and the school times are 0800 start and finish at 1240 and from yr 2 pupils can do afternoons until 1600 for approx 200tl per month.

if your in the area come along to the 20 temmuz stadium in girne 23 april for the childrens day show starts at 0930 on 23 april karaoglanoglu usually first performers and can speak to other parents.

bigOz

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 16:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

Kaymak;

My son's estate school starts at 8.00 am and goes on till 1.00 pm. They do 6 different no-nonsense subjects a day, and total teaching/classroom time of 4 hours! If you try to teach any longer to any child they will switch off in the afternoon and will not hear/listen to what the teacher says (which is what I know from experience in private schools). In Cyprus, we always had "half day" school and never experienced any problems with the (rising) standard of education.

Lollita; There are many junior schools in Girne, who offer education in both English and Turkish. Girne is such a small place that, if you were to travel up here for a day and drive round, you would probably locate all of them, get the info you want and return back. An alternative would be to contact the "Ministry of Education" in Lefkoşa, and ask for a list of junior schools in Girne.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.