North Cyprus Tourist Board - Border crossing question
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Border crossing question

Border crossing question

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cyprus Border Crossings

» See All Threads on Cyprus Border Crossings

Londondave

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 12:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 12 in Discussion

Hi All, I am staying at friends villa in north Cyprus for three weeks this summer. I am flying ii and out of Larnaca. Can anyone tell me for absolute certain if i will be allowed to take my racing bicycle across the border? It will be in a cycle box.

Thank you.

roisin

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 14:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 12 in Discussion

I have seen people walking over with their bicycles. No one stopped them as far as I know.Whether they had asked pemission before hand I couldn't tell you. I have seen this at Lomaci and Ledra crossings

flightholiday

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 14:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 12 in Discussion

The cyclebox part of the equation might be a problem as then someone in authority might see it as an import or an export.

bigOz

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 12 in Discussion

Just get on the bicycle and ride across. Then go back and drive through with the car (unless someone else in your company who has a driving license will do it for you).

cyprusharv

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 21:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 12 in Discussion

I don't think there will be a problem with your bike as long as it is used and if asked by "customs" if you will be returning with it after your hols and you answer "yes".

elkiton

Message Posted:
14/04/2011 23:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 12 in Discussion

Might help....to avoid any problems with being accused of trying to evade duty on imports / exports, I made inquiries last year at the SBA crossing point for taking musical instruments into and out of the south. There is a procedure / requirement for both sides that a simple manifest containing a description / serial number etc was to be provided, a duplicate copy was retained at both customs points and the goods effectively "stamped" in and out as required. One customs officer had a sense of humour, when we asked about the protocol for the band instruments he said "On the way out we tell you all the problems with our stereos and your roadie fixes them, on the way back you tell us all about the nice ladies at the gig with the big boobies and we let you through".

TonyE

Londondave

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 17:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 12 in Discussion

Thank you to everybody who replied to my post.

Tony E, a special thank you to you. I have a couple more questions if you don't mind..

What is the SBA crossing point?

How would i go about contacting them from the uk?

Do i obtain the paperwork/manifest before hand or fill out at the border?

My wife and i will be picked up from Larnaca in a private north cyprus transfer car. So the driver will speak turkish, but i don't know how helpful he may be. Obviously i'd rather have it all sorted before i travel.

I really appreciate your time.

Thanks again,

David k.

Harold2555

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 17:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 12 in Discussion

The SBa is the sovereign Base Area. Two crossings, at Famagusta and Pyla are in the area that is actually a British Base. The staff on the southern side of the crossing although Cypriot are MOD employees. They speak English naturally. The Turkish Cypriot side normally speak English as well.

H

wanderer

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 18:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 12 in Discussion

So the driver goes to the border post and hand in your passports you don't leave the car sometime if a friend of the driver is ahead of him in the queue that friend hands in your passports

You could be binging in a well known Saudi from Afghanistan and they would not check

I bought my bike in through Ercan no trouble no questions If it looks used no questions when they look that you have just landed

elkiton

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 19:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 12 in Discussion

Hi David, H is quite right re the SBA, this is the crossing nearest to the Famagusta / Karpaz East side of Girne. The customs boys there are employees of the MOD and unfailingly polite.Ignore the more stupid comments,they are hot on any contraband. Monday night searched all the family's bags,my truck inside and out very thoroughly,having asked us first about the goods we were carrying.Besides contraband they are interested in people evading VAT / Duty as this is a border post with the "outside world" beyond the EU and they can invoke special rules,like the max number of cigarettes you can bring in. Re the manifest, from my last visit I suggest no advance contact will be needed. Print off a neat manifest yourself and have 1/2 dozen copies with you, i.e. describe the goods briefly, serial numbers,make model, picture, value. Name and address date and sign. Add a line you can fill in for date at the time of entry Take any receipt for the item and attach a copy to the manifest.

TonyE

Londondave

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 00:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 12 in Discussion

Hi Guys and Tony,

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply. You have put me at ease. I am very grateful.

Now i just have to hope the baggage handlers are as considerate - ha.

Thanks again.

David.

Londondave

Message Posted:
28/05/2011 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 12 in Discussion

Just thought i should let people know that i didn't have any problems at the border crossings. They didn't even look at the taxi.

Thanks again for all your advice.

David

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.