North Cyprus Tourist Board - Bringing westie dog from Turkey to Northern Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Bringing westie dog from Turkey to Northern Cyprus

Bringing westie dog from Turkey to Northern Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All Threads on Pets, Dogs, Cats, Animals and Kyrenia Animal Rescue (KAR)

» Read about Bringing Your Pet to North Cyprus

» KAR Official Website - www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org

» Read about Cyprus History

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

walula

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 14:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 29 in Discussion

Hi, Could anyone give me information regarding proceedure required to bring our Westie dog to Northern Cyprus from Turkey where we are presently living but hope to relocate later in the year. Our dog has a UK pet passport as he was brought from UK to Turkey.

blade

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 14:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 29 in Discussion

you need to contact the veternary department here for an import licence, as long as your pet passport is up to date along with the serology report, they should let you in without quarentine. If the serology is not up to date they will make you do quarentine.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
16/04/2011 16:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 29 in Discussion

William Msg 2 - Are you sure about the quarantine or do you mean that the vetinary will insist on home quarantine rather than official?

Linda Msg 1 - As well as the thoughts in message 2 you will need to arrange for the vet's to meet you at the port or airport etc. - you would do well to conact KAR who have a wealth of information web search for KyreniaAnimalRescue - we know some of the wrinkles as we help pets arrive with their owners in tow from the UK

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 02:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 29 in Discussion

Walula, we have lived in turkey until last year in July and we came with a dog as well.

Your dog need to have all updated vacinations + you need to have an blood test made (as I remember this is actually 2 blood samples need to be taken within 1 or 2 months), this blood test will be made and report will be issued from the health ministry in Ankara.

These documents you will show in the airport in Istanbul during check in, they ill ask for them as you have to make pre reservation on the flight. You will go from Istanbul to Ercan (if anyone try to convince you different DONT DO IT)

I see the words flightholidays are saying forget them he does not know what he is talking about. If you follow my advises it will work and even knowing ou dog was barking like an insane when he arrived on the luggage belt and almost tumbled off the belt nobody asked for anything as we arrived from Turkey

For the information flightholidays claim to sent a vet to the airport (someone just want to catc

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 02:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 29 in Discussion

catch gold on it and it will not be you as you will pay the gold - for nothing.

We arrived with both a dog and a cat and nobody asked anything.

If you need a vet in Istanbul to help you with the formalities please let me know, we lived in ZEK and if you are close to there please let me know and I will help you.

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 02:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 29 in Discussion

I see you are not in Istanbul but in Didem, but still not any problem as you come from Turkey.

walula

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 06:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 29 in Discussion

Thanks Blade for the info. I will contact Vetinary Dept in Northern Cyprus.

Flightholidays - When we came from UK to Turkey with our dog we didn't have to be met by Vetinary at Airport - why is it different in Northern Cyprus.? We just produced the relevant documentation to Customs Officers and then took our dog straight home (no in house quarantine either).

Me-style. - Thanks for your information as you have first hand experience of bringing your pets from Turkey. We take our little dog to the Vets here every year for his boosters so all his inocculations are up to date so I suppose its really just a case of getting the blood tests done for his Rabbies. Did u need to get Import Licence for your pets ? We intend to travel to Northern Cyprus by car and ferry with our dog instead of flying.

My original thoughts were that as long as all his innoculations were up to date it would just be the case of being allowed in with him from a Non EU Country to another Non EU Country.

blade

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 13:11

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 29 in Discussion

If you contact the correct department in the TRNC for an import licence and give them dates & times of your arrival then you will have customs look at your documents . If they are all correct you will be cleared to go.

You will have to fax a head, copies of your vaccinations and rabies tests or pet passport and serology report.

Then they issue an import licence.

My friends did this last summer bringing a dog from Limasol in the south to the north.

If anything is missing in your paperwork, they will make you do quarentine at the quarentine kennels.

Good luck.

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 17:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 29 in Discussion

Blade what kind of rubbish are you talking about, to have an import licence of a dog? you really do not know what you are talking about so stop mixing up peoples mind with no sense talks.

Walula, our dag is purchased in Denmark and came to Turkey in 2008, we bring him as well as our cat to KKTC in 2010 and arrived in Ercan airport.

What is important is you have all vaccinations, a vet report as well as this blood test made in Turkey (all documents and test have to be made in Turkey. When you book the flight you make reservation for your dog and they will check if you have all documents in the airport where you take off from before you get your boarding passes and can fly.

So please follow this and you will be ok, and just forget the other crappy comments that will keep you busy for a long time as well as costing money as you do not come from abroad or the greek side. You come from Turkey and that makes a difference

walula

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 18:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 29 in Discussion

Thanks again me-style. Yes I also thought that because I am coming from Turkey, where we have lived for the past 3 years with our dog, to Northern Cyprus which is part of Turkey that I would not require Import Licence. When we came to live in Turkey from UK we did have to have this licence and I think this is where Blade maybe has this wrong as his friends came from Limasol (which is part of EU). Turkey is not and nor is Northern Cyprus as yet. All of the web pages I have visited really only give information from UK to Northern Cyprus hence my original question about bringing our dog from Turkey to Northern Cyprus.

Getting all the correct

information required regarding our dog is very important to us as we have had him for 10 years (still acts like a youngster)and need to get this sorted before making enquiries into renting and then buying property in Cyprus later on in the year.

Lilli

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 19:07

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 29 in Discussion

Walula, good luck with bringing your dog over. Plaese can I tell you that Blade is a wealth of information. They would not give you misleading information. Take it from me as they helped me.

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 20:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 29 in Discussion

Walula, I was in the same situation as you when we travelled with our girls an the pets. The girls would have killed me if any of the pets would end up in quarentine. So to stay alive I did my foot work.

Forget about all about blade and the supporter lilli and other better knowing comments.

Talk to your vet and he will know the procedures about what you need to take the dog to KKTC. He will tell you what I have said and be prepared to spend more then 500 tl for all including the blood test. We paid last year 300 or 350 tl for it and you need to prepare yourself for this as it takes some time including formalities in Ankara. You will need to start the blood test 1 or 2 months before you travel as I recall.

If you need any further help I will find the number of our vet in Istanbul and you can call to him as well and he can guide you as well if you need.

There is a difference between bringing animals from Turkey and from the EU.

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 20:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 29 in Discussion

Our VET in Zekeriakoy has the following details:

ANIVET ANIMAL HOSPITAL

Vişne 2 mah. 3.cad. No:7 Zekeriyaköy/Istanbul/Türkiye

Tel: +90 (212) 202 94 12 (pbx)

info: anivet@anivet.net

Ask for Dr. Serdar and he speaks English

Dog need international passport, vaccinations, and the blood test that can take several weeks as result have to go to Ankara as earlier informed.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 20:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 29 in Discussion

All I can offer is advice from current experience and information. This information has been learnt with long hard experience with quite a few animals and at quite a high cost. The advice is based on travelling from the UK but much is relevant to travelling from anywhere.

Imports to Turkey are not the same as an import to North Cyprus.

Different airlines have different cargo capacity and different rules.

Not long after Cyprus Turkish Airlines stopped operating Turkish changes both aircraft and rules.

The import conditions changed temporarily when CTA moved out of the travel business and might change again sooner or later.

A general comment please do check what you are doing from those with very recent experience.

blade

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 29 in Discussion

Me style. thank god we don't all have the same attitude as you.!

Call up the Vet Department and ask them. Get it wrong Dr Mehmet will send you to quarentine! Please remember we are in the TRNC not Turkey and rules are subject to change.

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 20:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 29 in Discussion

Walula, do not pay any attention to flight holiday comments, you just book yourself on Turkish airlines, if you have to get the dog into the cargo like our dog and cat had to its for very reasonable costs. There is not a big difference as the pets are not cargo but is considered as overweight and if you go with Turkish airlines costs are fair as some of the discount airlines can be more aggressive on the price.

There is not any changes in the rules for Turkish on pets as they are over weight and not cargo. CTA going out of business is not relevant in this issue except you are eagerly looking for a way to earn money for something Walula don't need.

flightholiday you miss the point here as I assume its not something you know anything about, as we are talking about they bring a dog from Turkey to KKTC and that is different then from the EU

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 21:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 29 in Discussion

me-style what is wrong with your reading of messages 14 & 15 they only try to give advice.

Where is flightholiday trying to make money?

His advice is to check with the TRNC vettinery office or looking back to message three with KAR - dont you like him or blade for some reason?

Rosie64

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 29 in Discussion

Is the advice they are giving wrong ? What are the exact procedures to be followed ?

me-style

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 22:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 29 in Discussion

message 17, cyprusholiday as I understand try to mek an issue out of he need to offer services to help to get the dog into KKTC as I see it and that means commission and fees,

Message 18, when you read in my messages I am only talking about bringing a dog from Mainland Turkey to KKTC.

The procedure is: Dog need international passport, vaccinations, and the blood test that can take several weeks as result have to go to Ankara as earlier informed.

Cyprusquest

Message Posted:
17/04/2011 23:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 29 in Discussion

Me-style I guess your first language is not English if so I can understand that you might misunderstand what was written

message 17 is from me John aka Cyprusquest

message 3 and message 14 are from flightholiday and he is not asking for commision or money in those two messages. He seems to be trying to give advice just like you. Maybe his advice is right for the UK as he says.

me-style

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 00:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 29 in Discussion

Cyprusquest, do not worry I understand everything including the slang. What you do not understand is I have lived outside my home country for almost 20 years and the main part of that in Turkey and Cyprus so I am sure I see things and understand things you do not understand and in this case about a possible commission that he will not get from walula.

For the advises he gives as you correctly say this is from mainland EU including UK (this is where cyprus got these stupid rules from), this is still valid in ROC but not in KKTC when you come from Turkey and this is my point from the start.

walula

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 07:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 29 in Discussion

Thanks to all who have responded to my original request for information.

I do understand the proceedure for bringing pets from the UK (EU) as succesfully brought my own dog with us to Turkey without any problems and at great cost (approx £1500) but well worth the money. He actually came over on the same Thos.Cook flight as my husband and the dog was waiting in the baggage hall in Bodrum with customs men making a fuss of him, before my husband got through.

I will contact the Vetinary Dept in TRNC as yes, proceedures and the law changes not only in Cyprus but Turkey on a regular basis.

As a final note, this was my first posting and am sorry to have caused such petty bickering.

Thanks to you all again for answering my original post which was greatly appreciated.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 13:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 29 in Discussion

Hi Linda, Msg 22 - yes it seemed like silly sniping and I have no idea why.

As I said you should be able to get good information from KAR + 9 0533 869 4098 (you will find us {IAH} referred to along with a heap of good information at http://www.kyreniaanimalrescue.org/petstocyprus.html and also the TRNC Vet (Dr Mehmet +9 0392 225 3751 ) both of whom we refer to for advice amongst others. NB Check the airline has the correct hold facility on the flights you book.

flightholiday

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 13:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 29 in Discussion

Sorry I meant to say - as a rule I'm sure you will find North Cyprus a great place to stay with lots of firendly people. I just noted that you will drive over so forget my flight comment have a good drive and enjoy. Please do still ask the questions.

shaun463

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 15:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 29 in Discussion

the rules to get into Northern Cyprus are the same if you come from EU zone or Turkey and from either place needs the blood test results. and unless it has changes since i asked a month ago when you arrive at the point of entry the veternary department come and meet you and take you to their offices in Nicosia check the papper work and microchip ( or tattoo ) against the paperwork and if all ok then no quarentine if not then animal will do quarentine

i have also arrived at the harbour via ferry and they came there as well

flightholiday

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 15:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 29 in Discussion

Shaun Msg 25 - Thank you for that I thought I was going mad with all the petty wrangles - you have just confirmed my advice in Msg 3.

The only thing then might be quarantine, no quarantine or home quarantine and that Linda will find out soon enough.

blade

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 15:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 29 in Discussion

Thank you Shaun and Flightholiday,

I think we all agree that Dr Mehmet holds the key and the up to date current infomation.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 15:29

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 29 in Discussion

message 25 is exactly right.

me-style

Message Posted:
18/04/2011 17:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 29 in Discussion

good luck with all the not needed procedures, I am out of this story

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.