North Cyprus Tourist Board - Customs North Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Customs North Cyprus

Customs North Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Cypriot Customs and Traditions

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

ronaldo

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 13:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Watch out for custom checks at the border ! On My last visit to the TRNC I was stopped at the border crossing . Although i didnt realise i was doing anything wrong was aproached by a customs officer who asked me what i had got on the roof rack of our hire vehicle . I was carrying an outboard motor which my son had bought for me in the UK (On Ebay). A birthday present ! The cost of this item which was brand new was £124.95 plus P.P of £10.00. The customs man asked me for my papers I could not produce these as i hadnt got them with me . He then confiscated the outboard and stated that I had to pay import duty. This i didnt object to . The day after I obtained the reciept for the item and off i went to the customs office , Expecting to pay the 30% import duty. The customs officer told me because I had not got any import licence that i had to pay the retail value of the goods again plus 30% duty the total being £178.60 Not £41.00 This is the rules be aware taking goods to TRNC.

Ronaldo

AlsancakJack

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 15:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

A lesson to be learned, always keep paperwork with you and if you do not have any then fabricating receipts is quite a simple matter nowadays. One question I will ask is, you were coming from the South, was the outboard motor brought into the South via the UK? and if so did you pay any import duty?

AJ

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 15:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

2 very good informative posts.

ronaldo

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 21:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

Hi AJ

Didnt pay any duty in the south ! And yes i did bring it from the UK . Didnt pay any duty in the north either as it wasnt worth what I would have to pay . May i also add I made an offer of payment to the customs officer at the office near the mercedes garage took out £180.00 pound in sterling the officer refused it and said he needed it to be paid in YTL Just him being awkward . no different i suppose than customs in the UK in fact the rules are the same . found out to late about reciepts I could have made one out for fifty pounds and that is all I would have to pay plus the 30% total £65.00. Anyway you live and learn.

Ronaldo

PtePike

Message Posted:
11/10/2008 21:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

AJ: "was the outboard motor brought into the South via the UK? and if so did you pay any import duty?"

From one EU country to another?

girne 29

Message Posted:
12/10/2008 00:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

Ronaldo

Was 'import licence' stated on the reciept?

An import licence is not normally granted because you pay for it ,apart from administration costs,but rather the granting of it is determined by what you are importing,

Why do you need an import licence ,was it because it was an engine for example?

Usually import licences in european countries are required for things like chemicals ,foodstuffs,animals, firearms,antiques etc.and for obvious reasons such as health , to protect species like turtle shell, gun control.

fire starter

Message Posted:
12/10/2008 11:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

anything electrical is due import duty.

also if you want to bring stuff throught, i think you need to get the import licence from the relavant goverment department prior to bringing it.

we had a problem with some plants earlier this year.

on going south we were told it would be okay to bring a few back with us.

on returning they were confiscated by customs. hubby went to the agricultural department, paid a few lira , got an import licence and then we got them back.

i think most things are possible, you just need the correct licence.(and the correct advice from customs would help)

Stewart

Message Posted:
12/10/2008 14:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Which crossing point did you use?

Stewart

Message Posted:
12/10/2008 14:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

My understanding of imports is: 2nd hand ie bought from home, inc Electrics..there is no duty to pay....Duty is payable only on all NEW products.

Have read this on relevant Import / sending goods to NC, web sites.

girne 29

Message Posted:
12/10/2008 14:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

Firestarter

Appears what happened to you is the norm,but dont see what the full retail value that Ronaldo had to pay was for.You only paid few lira and even at worst the import duty is 30% not the 100% Ronaldo paid.Thats why I was asking what was written on the receipt to cover 100% value penalty.

Below is an interesting article about Ikea in Cyprus ,and does state that you need an import licence for anything.In theory if you go to the south you have to know what you are buying in advance and apply for a licence !. I dont think the 'import licence' used in trnc is as is applied in uk ,where it is really to control unacceptable or restricted goods entering.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7176583.stm

andysue

Message Posted:
12/10/2008 20:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

ronaldo ive got a couple of rowing oars for sale !

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.