North Cyprus Tourist Board - Internet connection ... aqain
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Internet connection ... aqain

Internet connection ... aqain

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» All threads about Internet issues in North Cyprus

» Computers & Internet on Cyprus44 Business Directory

stickywitch

Message Posted:
22/04/2011 21:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

is there ANY system out here that works for more than 5 minutes? I've been through Extend and its satellites, and I'm fed up with being told what I can look at and what I can't. With any connection that relies upon the fibre optic link to Turkey you CANNOT get cameraware or even BigFish games.

So, I tried the Turkcell dongle. OK for a while, but now so slow Youtube is a no-no, and waiting for any page to load is driving me crackers. I haven't tried Telsim .. are they any more efficient? I use the net a lot, I have to, not just for looking at the occasional email, and I need to connect to a number of sites with some semblance of speed.

Is there anyone who has a full, unrestricted connection? Or have i got to live with a system that, not only expensive, is more primitive than anything I have ever had in the last 15 years.

erolz

Message Posted:
22/04/2011 22:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

If you dont want to rely on TRNC infrastructure (other than for power) and Turk Telekom for connection out of North Cyprus then you would have to go for a 2 way satelite system. Not cheap, installation or monthly payments and high latency as well. However such system would bypass local ISP's and Turk Telekom.

As for certain sites not being accessable have you tried using a VPN service ? It should solve such issues.

I have used 2 way sat system in the past (Hughes / Direcway) and ADSL as well and currently use a wifi based TRNC service. No service is perfect.

No ISP is perfect.

xiziqo

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 06:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

extend mostly works fine for me, good latency and constant speed, but the big problem is closed ports so i cant play online games or run any p2p software... before i was on nethouse, they have worse ping times, the speed was allright...

Deniz1

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 07:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

I have Nethouse and i have bigfish games etc no problem. I have tried them all and while not the cheapest service i find it best. I have 1024 @ 95tl per month.

nostradamus

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 07:39

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

I see that you live in Edremit - is it not possible to get a telephone line there? I have friends higher up than you who have lines. You can then get ADSL which is by far and away the best answer. I have mine through Xrealnet, via Haypem at Alsancak. 550TL a year for 4MB + 26TL a month to the phone company. Never really had any problems with it - decent speed for here and much better than the alternatives. If you can't get a phone line, I know that Xrealnet also do wireless for quite a lot less than the other main providers here.

negativenick

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 08:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

mess 4 - 40 quid a month for a crappy 1mg connection ?

so much for the "we moved to the trnc cos it was cheap"......

why can't the TC's stop ripping everyone off ??

when i was in thailand - i paid 10 quid a month for a 4mb connection - thats 4 times the speed at a quarter of the cost (and it didn't keep going off every 5 mins - and you can watch u tube and download p2p...)

no wonder disillusioned brits are moving away in droves........

Deniz1

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 08:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

I didnt move here cause it was *cheap* and if thailand is so bloody wonderful why are you here?

negativenick

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 08:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

mess 7 - so why did you move here then, big Den ??

the litter, lack of choice in the shops, 3rd world utilities, rotton legal system, cars 2 x the price of the uk, shoddily built properties, builder's shite dumped everywhere, lousy tv, TC gov't who doesn't give a kippers about us brits, boiling hot summers, freezing winters, cost of living spiriling out of control, plumeting interest rates, feck all to do other than laze around like a fagot or drink to excess, or maybe the 4th rate entertainment ??

erolz

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 09:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

negativenick totaly off topic again in order to once more brand all TC as rip off merchants. Not only is your post insulting it is made from total ignorance as well.

You clearly know nothing about the cost of provision of internet access and how population density and size of user base affects cost of provision. Even today in the UK in rural areas there people who have no broadband options at all other than expensive 2 way satelite systems. The reason why, is there is not the population density to make it profitable to serve such areas in a commercial manner. Comparing the cost of internet access in a country with a total population of around 70 million people with a country with a population of only 250,000 and deciding that the smalller country is a rip off because it is more expensive is something only an idiot would do and you sir are just such an idiot.

If you want to moan about how crap the TRNC is then make your own threads, dont hijack other peoples.

negativenick

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 10:34

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

mess 9 - idiot ? - how rude, then again what do you expect ?

Blackpoolfan

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

N Nick,

You really cannot help yourself you need help!!!!

You are either a wind up merchant who gains some perverse satisfaction from winding people up, or a nasty twisted old man who really should know better and find something else to do with their time. Whichever one the forum doesn't need people like you sir.

Deniz1

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 14:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

I moved here because its my home i am a tc.

steveafc

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

negative....................i have 4mg internet for 800tl for a ............YEAR.............and it works

gallowgate

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 23:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

I have a place in Edremit and use a Telsim dongle in a 3 g router, I took the 5gig option and it works really well.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.