North Cyprus Tourist Board - Garden - How do I get rid of Black Fly on Hibiscus?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Garden - How do I get rid of Black Fly on Hibiscus?

Garden - How do I get rid of Black Fly on Hibiscus?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Gardening threads posted so far

shel56

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 14:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

Hi

I have got a terrible case of black fly or something like that on my Hibiscus and the only remedy I have is water and washing up liquid mixed and sprayed on. It hasn't worked so can anyone come up with any other suggestions - nothing poisonous though as I have cats. Thanks

basheer

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 14:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

that's what the gardener told me to do

their garden centre is close to silver rocks sea side

Tango1

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 14:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

Thats what we do as well. It seems to work for about 1 week and then they are back. Strangely enough they seem to concentrate on two plants and leave the rest alone.

Tango1

JohhnyLee

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 15:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

I used the spay that I got from the garden centre, just before the Army base lust passed Berhans, going in to Girne on the left hand side,

Its the stuff you use to try and kill sandfly in the garden, Its yellow, and it smells foul, and you have to be very careful with diluting it.

(oh and wear mask)

Pugwash

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 15:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Unless you wish to use insecticide they will come back quickly. There are some fly spray type of cans you can get for local treatment and these are very effective think I got mine in Green garden so I tend to use the fly spray for very bad infestations and soapy water for the others.

suehowlittle

Message Posted:
23/04/2011 18:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

Got mine in Green garden too, but to be honest, if the trees/shrubs are mature they can cope with it. There are other insects and tree frogs which will scoff them up. Funny how they just seem to attack the one tree at a time though, never worked that out.

The blackfly spray is very effective, I gave up on washing up liquid and water and my husband would not let me use the blowtorch . - lol.

shel56

Message Posted:
24/04/2011 15:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

Thanks to all for you help and advice. These are young shrubs and not all have been got at either. I will check out Green Garden for the spray and make sure my washing up liquid and water is topped up and ready to go in the meantime.

Thanks again all.

janjin

Message Posted:
24/04/2011 19:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

i once used household fly spray as a stop gap remedy. i don't know if this is pet freindly??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.