North Cyprus Tourist Board - UK Property Law
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > UK Property Law

UK Property Law

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See All North Cyprus Lawyer Discussions posted so far

» Law Firms on Cyprus44 Business Directory

» North Cyprus Property Development Reviews

» Property Buying Guide to North Cyprus

Groucho

Message Posted:
15/10/2008 08:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 8 in Discussion

I know for a fact that it used to be UK immovable property law that if you occupied a property for 21 years or more then the occupier could apply for deeds to be issued and ownership passed to that occupier... it's how some squatters became the legal owners of houses and land without buying it...

"In England, twenty-one years' uninterrupted possession,

with occupation, constitutes a valid title. "

My question is, is this law still active on the statute books?

I ask because if TRNC law is based on UK law then it may be relevant here for some....

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
15/10/2008 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 8 in Discussion

Grouch, I had always assumed that Under the Limitation Act 1980 landowners lose their right to land if there has been adverse possession against them for over 12 years.

fire starter

Message Posted:
15/10/2008 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 8 in Discussion

from what our trnc lawyer says it is 15 years here. but that is if for instance, you are partly on someone elses plot.

i don't know if the same thing applies for a whole plot?

PtePike

Message Posted:
15/10/2008 20:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 8 in Discussion

When the property has been seized and the owners expelled by illegal and foreign military force, I very much doubt normal civil laws apply. In fact I would bet on it.

bachelibelly

Message Posted:
15/10/2008 21:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 8 in Discussion

Well i am off to invade the local pub ,seize a balti chicken, bet on how many Strongbows i can comsume and hopefully get expelled much later !!!!!!!!!!!!

elko2

Message Posted:
15/10/2008 21:35

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 8 in Discussion

I am almost certain that if somebody has the title deeds for a land, it is his no matter who occupies it and what happens. However at one time many many years ago, if somebody occupied a piece of land for so many years "uninterrupted" and "undisputed" he could have the title dddes for it. This does not apply any longer.

In the old days ordinary people would interpret this law wrongly and think that if their neighbour tresspassed to their side for so long and not disputed he would eventually have a legal right to it. This was not the legal situation but people did not know the correct situation and thus many neighbours would quarrel over a few inches for fear of letting the neighbour take over their side.

ismet

fire starter

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 10:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 8 in Discussion

ismet

our lawyers is now asking the land office to adjust the kochan rather than fight in the courts to reclaim our land which neighbours are on.

his advice was if it were him, he wouldn't fight it out as the outcome would not be for sure that you would get the land back. its more than a few inch's btw.

apparently it will take a long time to battle issues like this, without any guarentee of the out come.

a lot of the problems in the trnc is that the measure people can't use a tape measure and don't have gps.

elko2

Message Posted:
16/10/2008 20:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 8 in Discussion

I am confused. I am aware tht every time the Land registry people come and measure the place they get differrent results. It is not a qustion of not being able to measure properly but a question of accuracy. Half a mm on the maps can make a lot of differrence. GPS system based on satellites are even worse for making accurate measurements. I think land based positioning systems is the answer but we are far away from that.

Wht I dont understand is what your lawyer is trying to do. You leave the title deed as it is, otherwise it will b e the start of endless adjustments and everytime to your detriment!!

ismet

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.