North Cyprus Tourist Board - WARNING : Royal Wedding Trojan
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > WARNING : Royal Wedding Trojan

WARNING : Royal Wedding Trojan

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» See all North Cyprus Weddings threads posted so far

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 00:31

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 7 in Discussion

I clicked on a link in a thread here this morning about the wedding, and I became infected by a trojan, this despite the fact that I use a professional security firewall suite which is updated automatically.

Apparently this has been a feature of any links to the royal wedding over the past couple of days (It is also affecting any links to the current world ice hockey champrionships in Slovakia too).

Major security software companies have been caught out by it and several have produced fixes during today (Friday). So if anyone has a window open with 'antivirus center' written within it, then do not follow the on-screen instructions, do the opposite until you can get your security software up and running, which will hopefully have been updated by the time you need to use it. Another giveaway is the poor spelling used in some of the text in the windows and pop-ups too. Try not to use IE as your browser as it triggers an automatic link for the trojan to report back.

Clarissa

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 00:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 7 in Discussion

Would be helpful to say which thread.....

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 01:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 7 in Discussion

Yes MsG it might.

But that might then cause offence to the person who quoted the link with goodwill and was unaware of the problem. I would not want to be party to one of the many 'finger pointing' threads and postings that unfortunately occur here.

It would not be too much rocket science for anyone to work out which threads might contain the problem link, now would it ?

Just trying to be politely helpful.

Clarissa

sstve

Message Posted:
30/04/2011 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 7 in Discussion

Hello,

I think it's a new virus because there are just a few posts about it. That's might be off-topic but I had this virus too, that's how I found this forum. I have to agree with Clarissa, this Antivirus Center thing is really annoying. My PC is clean now (I hope so) but it's kinda slow or maybe it's just my imagination Anyway, I found a code that stops this viruss and then you can install virus protection software without any restrictions. Here's the code: D13F-3B7D-B3C5-BD84 (credits: http://deletemalware.blogspot.com/2011/04/how-to-remove-antivirus-center.html , sorry if this is against the rules). It helped me a lot because I couldn't restart my computer in safe mode. This guy from a tech forum told me to do so but I couldn't. So anyway, just wanted to share this with you guys. By the way, nice forum ;) Cheers!

KibBay

Message Posted:
01/05/2011 01:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 7 in Discussion

Microsoft Essentials.

regular MANUAL updates

and everyone will be fine.

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
01/05/2011 13:49

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 7 in Discussion

RE: MSG 4

sstve how very kind of you to add more info and even take the trouble to join the forum ! It has certainly been a problem for the security companies over the weekend apparently. I have taken note of your link for future reference. Our security people were alerted and they asked us to call them and have checked out my pc directly online, to ensure their cure for the problem (which came later in the day I had the attack) was working. Really good service from them.

Keep reading the forum sstve !

Thanks again

Clarissa

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
01/05/2011 14:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 7 in Discussion

RE: MSG 5

Kibbay - you could not be more wrong. The better security companies constantly send out updates as soon as they have found a new 'signature'. With ours we can get 3,4, or more automatic updates a day. Downloading manually is ineffective if the company do not have the signature of a new infection for which they have not worked-out a solution. This 'royal wedding' trojan triggered early on Friday morning and I picked it up just after 6.00am BST. It is of a new generation of infections that can disable any anti-virus software first before it infects the rest of the pc's software.

It was reported to them manually, and they sent out an automatic quarantine message retrieving suspect files for investigation at their centre. They had a solution and update for it by late afternoon. Take a look at some of the forums attached to security software vendors and witness the confusion that reigned the past 2 days !

Let's leave it there shall we.

Clarissa

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.