North Cyprus Tourist Board - TRNC tourism - what is on offer to a visitor ??
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > TRNC tourism - what is on offer to a visitor ??

TRNC tourism - what is on offer to a visitor ??

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

negativenick

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 11:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 30 in Discussion

copied from a closed thread that went off topic:

The problems facing the tourist industry as highlighted above are sad but true. In order to attract holidaymakers, bearing in mind there is a lot of competition, the island needs to be good value for money (for both the holidaymaker & the tour agent), safe for families, easy to get to, a pleasant landscape, good beaches and have attractions for the family to name but the basics. How many of those does the TRNC tick the boxes?

Cyprus is a minimum 4 hours flight to the South plus 2 hours coach transfer, forget flying to the north at the moment (6 hours flight time for a start) which already puts it at a disadvantage where there are great well known destinations 2-3 hours away.

Is it good value for money these days? I don't think so when looking at restaurant prices or if in staying a hotel resort, the drink prices can be exorbitant.

Good beaches? Just look at what's on offer (or lack of it) and the rubbish.

What attractions

Jefferson

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 11:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 30 in Discussion

Im afraid to say your post is sad but true.

mrsgee

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 11:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 30 in Discussion

No the post is just sad......

Life is what you make it, we have lived here 2 years now and never tire of waking up to the beautiful mountains.....and sea......

It is what it is.......if you prefer somewhere else then fine, we all have choices......I don't see the bad things....I am too busy enjoying the good.....but then maybe I have the advantage of rose coloured specs...lol

Jefferson

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 14:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 30 in Discussion

M 3. Nick is asking if people will find good value here for a holiday. In my opinion the answer is no. That does not mean that I do not want to live here. I agree about the mountains and sea and feel the same way as you.

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 15:25

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 30 in Discussion

I don't think it's bad value - you can eat out for a decent price if you know where to go and there are some fantastic places to eat. I met a young family here last week for the Easter holidays and they said they had a fantastic time and were really pleased with how much it cost to eat out of an evening and couldn't believe the size of the potions they were served. They did mention that some of the beaches needed tidying up, but also praised places like Kervan beach for the way it looked and the facilities on offer - we actually got chatting at the Kervan restaurant overlooking that beach.

As for living here - I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. Still love it as much as the day I arrived 10 years ago!

G

StGeorgeI

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 15:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 30 in Discussion

*portions

negativenick

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 15:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 30 in Discussion

mess 2 -so why don't the gov't do something about it ??

Markyboy

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 15:54

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 30 in Discussion

I visit the Island frequently and last year we had our family holiday there. We were a party of 8, 3 Adults, 4 Late teens, early 20's children and 1 child of eight. I was initially worried that we would be hard pressed to find things to do to occupy us all for 2 weeks but i can honestly say, everybody went home satisified with the holiday and wanted to stay longer. We ate out most of the time and never once had to complain about the service or the price. Easily pleased you may say but my Kids are fussy with what they eat lol. We did use the pay to sit beaches, Acapulco and Escape but compared to what you pay for a sunbed on a beach in Menorca, these were reasonable enough. Jeep safari, boat trips, para gliding, go-karting, horse riding were activities we found to slot inbetween the beach days and a couple of days driving around to see the sights. If you have knowledge of the place and where to eat, it can be done but i have not stayed in hotels so cannot comment on them.

Glasbury

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 16:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 30 in Discussion

Markyboy - I agree with your sentiments. For the last 9 years my family have been visiting North Cyprus and have always stayed in hotels. My family ranges in age from 80 to teenagers and I can honestly say that we have all enjoyed every holiday. There is plenty on offer to keep everyone happy and I think the level of service offered and kindness shown to us is second to none. I have been to other european destinations but we keep coming back to NC as we enjoy it so much and don't find the prices unreasonable.

Markyboy

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 16:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 30 in Discussion

Well that's two happy customers.... There are people i'm sure who find it would not suit them but it's horses for courses. I have also had my Mother, sisters and brother in law over to visit whilst there and they loved every minute of it too. I'm back in May with my Nephew and his daughter paying us a visit so hoping the weather will be kind and that the Efes will still be flowing lol.

Hector

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 20:38

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 30 in Discussion

Where are the big tour companies? Thomson and Thomas Cook only seem to offer holidays to the south. If the north does offer good holidays the big tour operators should be offering them. Why aren't they?

harita

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 20:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 30 in Discussion

Message 11 ..

Thomson put Northern Cyprus hotels in their brochures a few years ago ..

The GC's kicked up such a fuss & told Thomsons that if they didn't remove them ..

No more Thomson holidays in the south .. Thomson obliged ..

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 21:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 30 in Discussion

A very valid question, Hector!

There are plenty of UK produced items in the shops in TRNC - the UK companies producing these don't, to my [limited] knowledge have any compunctions, or any veto, re. exporting goods that EU knows damn well will end up in this 'embargoed' state - so, why not holidays marketed by the big UK companies?

Anything to do with 'unreliable', or 'rip-off'?

Only asking!

Zoots

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 21:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 30 in Discussion

Msg 11,

Endorsing north Cyprus would be to condone the way it was created. That would be suicidal for multinationals for the reasons stated above. They're not stupid when it comes to investments (pause for thought).

madturk

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 21:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 30 in Discussion

Why on earth do you miserable people live in Cyprus . If you hate it so much ??

I brought 15 people over from england , 3 families , ranging from 10 to 81 .

They all had a fab time , loved the friendly Cypriot people, in awe of the mountain range views

Loved the castle and bellapaise , cheap fags and booze. Lovely beaches . Took them to lots of nice restaurants they were impressed with the quality of food and prices.

So wash the crap out of your eyes people and tell me what you really see

Zoots

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 21:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 30 in Discussion

Great place if everything goes right for you, madturk.

Middle Easter

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:18

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 30 in Discussion

All

Everyone knows Northern cyprus has its issues, hence the lower than average Tourist numbers & property valuations: But beleive me, with any form of opening up or resolution of the Cyprus problem creating direct flights & investment, this place will become a goldmine. Why? Because the staggering natural beauty is without equal. In comparison the South is a flat coastal plain with flashing lights.

For many, they are happy to put up with the current limitations i.e. indirect flights, poor public services & litter to keep the quiet largely undeveloped nature of the place intact. So if mass development & tourism come to the North there will be a different Group of people who will be unhappy about it. You cannot please everyone. I dive, windsurf, mountain bike, paraglide, walk/hike, play tennis, cook, pincic, read, sunbathe, eat out & of course....marvel at the mountains & sea every day I am there. Nowhere comes close!

The only restriction for me is the number of hours in the day...

mrsgee

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 30 in Discussion

Spot on Mad Turk.........I really don't understand why people complain so much but still come back.....Neg Nick, what can I say......the only thing he seems to praise is Ting and Tong that famous double act.......but, hey ho......we are very happy here, if you hate it so much.....don't come.

mrsgee

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 30 in Discussion

Oh....and Middle Easter....music to my ears........

elkiton

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 30 in Discussion

Are you people stupid?

The TRNC has no economy, it's markets have been destroyed by EU sanctions, it is living on Turkey's handouts, and you somehow think that it is your place to complain about the indigenous peoples as though they were worthless trash?

I am beginning to think that the TRNC has become a dumping ground for every malcontent, discontent and complainer that was ever born. It's no wonder the Aussies coined the term "Whinging Poms".

The TRNC now is a sink estate for ex-pats that have forgotten how to enjoy life. Please, if you don't like it, go away back to your home country and leave it to us that do.

Take off to the EU sterile beaches, the full supermarkets, the perfect infrastructure...oh, wait a minute, I remember....you are here because that did not satisfy you either.

TonyE

No1Doyen

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 21 of 30 in Discussion

Good Post TonyE..

mrsgee

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:43

Join or Login to Reply
Message 22 of 30 in Discussion

Excellent post TonyE....doubt it will stop the whingers.....but nice to have someone on the same wavelength

madturk

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 23 of 30 in Discussion

Rock on northern Cyprus . I can see why the bubble and squeaks want it back

elkiton

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 22:59

Join or Login to Reply
Message 24 of 30 in Discussion

Right on Guys.

Actually being charitable for a moment, the wingers are totally impotent. They have no balls.

They are frustrated themselves, but unable (or more like the truth ) they lack the capacity to make any contribution that actually results in some sort of effective action to improve their lot.

So, they bleat, and bleat, and start threads where their friends can jump on this band-waggon of abuse towards the local population.

If they actually were effective, had track records in diplomacy and the handling of delicate and difficult international situations, were troubleshooters of some note, they would be paid advisors or consultants earning their fees to put this place back on the legitimate map.

They are not, they don't, they can't, they are just average people like U and Me, but they seem to think that by churning out the same old rubbish every day they are making a contribution.

Take it from me, you aint!

TonyE

Zoots

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 23:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 25 of 30 in Discussion

Elkiton,

What markets could the north possibly have and what sanctions are you talking about? The Green Line Regulation allows the export of north Cyprus produce into the EU.

However Turkey - having created the mess that is the TRNC, dumped illegal settlers on the place and through chaotic administration forced thousands of native Turkish Cypriots to emigrate - restricts the amount of produce the TRNC can sell and actually forces Turkish produce onto the TRNC market!

Turkey's stranglehold on north Cyprus cannot go on and that is why so many TCs are rising against Ankara. They've had enough.

Most of the Brits here don't have a clue about the bigger picture and care only for themselves and their ill-gotten gains, so I wouldn't expect too much meaningful from them.

TRNCvictim

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 23:28

Join or Login to Reply
Message 26 of 30 in Discussion

(Mess 24)

And what the hell are you churning out?

shrimp

Message Posted:
02/05/2011 23:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 27 of 30 in Discussion

We have spent many holidays in Northern cyprus and it still is my number one holiday destination, it is truly beautiful, the people we have met are second to none and we have had no problems at all during the many, many holidays we spent on your lovely island..I was born in cyprus and was called after the castle St Hilarian.......it may be a bit grubby here and there but then The Greek islands used to be the same and that didnt stop us from enjoying all they had to offer, it can only get better in my opinion......

Blackbird

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 00:05

Join or Login to Reply
Message 28 of 30 in Discussion

Message 27...what a nice post shrimp, and I agree with your comments...but I to wonder how much the government want tourists......I have posted many times on the mystic and beauty that is TRNC...

shrimp

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 00:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 29 of 30 in Discussion

I get the impression that they do want the tourists they just dont want them to make it their permanent home which is why they are making it so diffiicult for people to buy properties, work, etc.......

negativenick

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 05:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 30 of 30 in Discussion

mess 20 gets a neg nick "pretty darn good post" award...........

Well done TonyE

keep up the good work...........

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.