North Cyprus Tourist Board - Advice on suitable water pump for the house
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Advice on suitable water pump for the house

Advice on suitable water pump for the house

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Carndi

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 09:57

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 11 in Discussion

Could anyone give advice on the best water pump to use for our house. Our pump has just burned out and it is only 6 months old and the one before that was just over a year. Since being here we have had lots of problems with the pumps and all the ' experts ' who have come to work on them keep replacing them so thought I would go and get a new pump myself to ensure it is new.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

martinD41

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 10:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 11 in Discussion

Go for an "Italian" made pump rather than a Chinese ,,Try Marshall's,..When you fit the pump spray the bearings with Spray Grease available from Mr Pound...Do not spray with WD40.......Get a 1 HP pump,even if you only need a 1/2 HP .Best of Luck...........

cyprustom

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 10:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 11 in Discussion

I would suggest that you have a problem with your water system, rather than the pumps, water leaks for instance will course a pump to start and stop far to often, this will course a pump to burn out, so have this checked first, no doubt that a european made pump is farmore reliable than a chink type.

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 10:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 11 in Discussion

I think there is a 'Grundfos' distributor [don't know if they sell direct to the public, though] on the industrial estate opposite Orphanides Supermarket in the South - best pumps for their price in my experience.

Personally, I have had equal failures with both Italian and Chinese - both junk in my humble opinion!

birdman

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 11:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 11 in Discussion

I too went through 4 water pumps in two years. The last pump I bought cost me 290TL but has been very good and is silent running (Which the last four sounded as if they were clapped out after only one week in use!).

The pump I now have is Italian and was bought from the builders merchant shop in Alsancak, on the main road, on the left hand side, going towards Lapta, just past what used to be Chapter One/Swell bar.I've had this one for six months now and it's still silent running and very efficient.

TRNCVaughan

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 11:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 11 in Discussion

msg 2,

You might like to explain to Carndi how he gets at the bearings in order to spray them with grease.

Carndi

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 11:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 11 in Discussion

Thank you very much for your inputs. Think I will go for an Italian one and also and will take Martin and Cyprustom's advice.

Again. Thank you.

martinD41

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 11:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 11 in Discussion

Msg6 Spraying the bearings with Grease is only an option in order to satisfy oneself that sufficient lubrication is present...If Carndi has no mechanical experience ,then explaining the procedure would serve no purpose,as it involves removal of the Fan housing ,the Fan and the Impeller housing...But if he has the knowledge it's easy.... ...It is only advice ,some pumps seem to have missed the lubrication stage during assembly...and consequently "eat the bearings"....

Carndi

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 18:48

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 11 in Discussion

Martind41. I have trouble turning on the TV or starting the car. I have trouble finding the washing machine and would not know what to do with it if I did find it so you are quite correct in not bothering to explain it to me.

Again, thanks for the help given.

martinD41

Message Posted:
03/05/2011 19:47

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 11 in Discussion

You are most welcome Sir ..

Tenakoutou

Message Posted:
04/05/2011 10:53

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 11 in Discussion

With pumps, it's very much a case of: 'You get what you pay for!'

Definitely try and get a pump with a stainless steel impeller - many are either plastic/nylon, or low grade cast iron, which disintegrates fairly quickly, or low grade brass, which also wears out soon.

Unfortunately, pump prices in ALL Cyprus seem to be extortionately inflated compared to UK/EU - if buying here, which is almost a 'must', as a centrifugal pump is too heavy to fly [take on aircraft!] with, we simply have to 'grasp the nettle' and buy locally.

Anyone newly arriving from EU with their container of household goods would be well advised to buy a few good quality pumps to bring!

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.