North Cyprus Tourist Board - Man fired from job for stopping a thief
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Man fired from job for stopping a thief

Man fired from job for stopping a thief

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 03:22

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 20 in Discussion

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/roger-kline-best-buy-thief,news-11080.html

To be honest not sure what I think about this one. Sacking an employee for stopping a theft from the shop seems so harsh and bizzare, yet I can also understand why the compnay policy is the way that it is and he did know the company policy.

Anyway I am sure others will have views as well.

gooligan

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 05:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 20 in Discussion

The worlds gone mad

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3496185/Shop-worker-who-tackled-armed-robber-is-sacked-over-teabags.html

Groucho

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 07:27

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 20 in Discussion

There was a time when a trades union would protect workers from such unjust abuse of process. I can only imagine these two places of work were actively looking for excuses to reduce staffing numbers and that these very poor reasons have provide them with an opportunity do so by the use of, and slavish adherence to, ridiculous rules.

Many cheered when the power of the trade unions was effectively crushed... now we are beginning to see why they were needed in the first place.

Msg1 This is what fear of litigation in the US has led to..

The world has indeed gone mad...

erolz

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 07:37

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 20 in Discussion

Groucho I hear what you are saying but I do also have to say that 'liability' aside I can understand a company policy that says 'do not challenge theives / robbers' that is motivated by a genuine concern for staff saftey. Many years ago I employed my own staff and I would not have wanted any of them to put themselves at risk to stop a theft or robbery. Of course if one had done so I certainly would not have sacked them, but mine was a small business of only a handful of people, where common sense can survive. I am just saying that whilst fear of litigation is undoubtedly part of the reason for such a policy, it is not the only possible reason for it.

Carndi

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 09:16

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 20 in Discussion

Groucho/Erolz.

I had a shop in the UK and the staff were instructed not to interfere should anyone attempt to rob/steal.

Some insurance companys policy now stipulate that no cover is given if staff are injured in trying to stop theft.

It is cheaper to pay for loss of goods than for personnel injury.

If you are not covered by your policy then you would be the one to pay compensation unless the staff could prove they did not know company policy in relation to theft.

Like erolz, the safety of the staff is and should be the first and foremost consideration.

elko2

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 09:32

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 20 in Discussion

In my view the decision is 100% correct. It was a clear breach of company policy. Having said that, I would go out of my way to help him find another job if possible. I am sure he learned his lesson.

ismet

flowerfairy

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 09:33

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 20 in Discussion

Of course the safety of the staff or yourself comes first.

But let's get real, I know from experience that instinct takes over. The last thing a person would think of is what is stated on an insurance policy when you come face to face with a thief.

Yes, the world has gone completely do lally whip!!!!!!!!!!!...Yes, let's all just let anyone steal your hard earned

profits, I mean, soon this will be another reason not to get a job. Just pop into the local shop and steal what you need.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 11:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 20 in Discussion

I sure bet that employee was confused as Best buy prides itself on allowing its staff the freedom to take their own initiative. Staff are free to decide what they feel is right for the company. Granted this initiative is aimed at increasing sales and enhancing customer service, however its a strong message that staff constantly hear.

As a retailer in the States, you would want to be quite choosy about who you challenge as you don't want to come face to face with a magnum.

I guess the law makes sense whilst shrinkage doesn't exceed or decimate profits. Be interesting to see what happens if thieves realised it was a free for all. Of course, there may not be that many thieves to warrant it ever being a problem.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 11:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 20 in Discussion

msge 3

I wish someone would crush Bob Crowe. His Union is going to bring London to its knees over the summer. At least two weeks of strikes are planned.

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 11:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 20 in Discussion

ps

His union is an example of an abuse of union power. Two of his members were sacked, one for attacking someone who crossed a picket line and the other for failing to follow safety procedures. Two thirds of staff want to work but they are being held ransom by its small militant population.

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 11:41

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 20 in Discussion

This is why people are unable to think for themselves, which is most obvious when an emergency occurs (in any context) and the vast majority are to be found looking around for someone to tell them what to do, or remind them what they are 'allowed' to do. Common sense, thinking for oneself, using initiative, all frowned upon in this day and age; yet another form of controlling the masses to their detriment. We aren't allowed to decide when we have had enough of suffering and want to end our lives with dignity, we aren't allowed to save a life(s) and if the humen element kicks in, we are punished by losing our job!!!! Firemen or Police standing watching a child drown, because as grown men, a jobsworth or health and safety have attempted to justify their unconscionable salaries by writting pages and pages of dumb arse rules that says they musn't put their lives at risk........we truly do live in a mad mad world......

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 11:44

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 20 in Discussion

msge 11

Good post. You are right people are no longer allowed to think for themselves.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 20 in Discussion

I really do hope that folowing this publicity the shrinkage due to theft in this company has shot up out of all proportions. They do so deserve it. The thief was on the floor and not posing any threat. It doesnt say if he actually walked out with the laptops as well as his liberty.

Even if that is company policy then firing the guy is like chopping off the perpetrators hands for theft - stupid!

MsGarnet

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 12:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 20 in Discussion

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1383941/Deputy-heads-career-ruins-sacked-carrying-naughty-pupil-6-playground.html.

Above - yet another example of lunacy - and why, every single day now, in some shape or form, I am sickened to live in this pathetic, toothless, gormless, ludicrous country run by idiots who allow incomprehensible laws to be passed under the guise of keeping people (usually children) safe, and yet, which oftentimes - leaves them in harms way. How many times do we read of an ambulance crew or police being told to "keep back" when someone is dying of a gunshot wound (say) in a garden or house, the neighbours have told them they saw the gunman run away, yet STILL they watch a human bleed to death, alone, unaided, yards from them - because the agencies in question aren't allowed to take the word of someone who knows, but have to wait for a non-entity elsewhere to make a decision if the area is safe so they can go into action - usually too late to be effective!

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 13:01

Join or Login to Reply
Message 15 of 20 in Discussion

How about this one, a known pervent hanging around outside a school playground, after playtime a six year old boy refused to go back in school, the Deputy Head in the absence of the Head phoned the childs Mother asking if she could come to help get him in school, she couldn't go but gave permission for him to be taken back in by a teacher, the Deputy Head called on another teacher to assist, the Deputy put her hands under the childs armpits and carried him in, when the Head returned and this incident was reported to her she called on the Local Authority and the Governers and the Deputy has been sacked for abusing the child. The Mother has not complained and the Police have checked CCTV and said she did nothing wrong.

Woodspeckie

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 13:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 16 of 20 in Discussion

msg 14. beat me to it.

erolz

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 13:03

Join or Login to Reply
Message 17 of 20 in Discussion

Slightly off topic, I am still 'conflicted' on the story I posted. I hear what Ismet says but part of me can not also help but feel for the man involved and that somehow getting sacked is harsh. He did wrong but for all the right reasons , so is there no room for leniency based on such 'extenuating circumstances' ? I dont know.

Anyway off topic, my problem with modern day health and saftey in the UK is not so much the nanny state concern per se, but the way health and saftey becomes about ticking boxes. When my father used to run restaurants in the 60's and 70's in the UK you did all you could to try and not poision anyone. Today it feels like 'its ok to poision someone as long as you have ticked all the right health and saftey boxes'. It more about ticking the boxes and covering yourself by doing so than actualy focusing on not poisioning customers, if that makes any sense ?

ilovecyprus

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 18:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 18 of 20 in Discussion

msge 17

"It more about ticking the boxes and covering yourself by doing so than actualy focusing on not poisioning customers"

Totally makes sense.

The intention has shifted which has misdirected our attention, what we pay attention to. There is no room for thinking, applying common sense or initiative. If that makes sense.

Lilli

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 18:50

Join or Login to Reply
Message 19 of 20 in Discussion

God to think the future generation will grow up only knowing political correctness.

misunderstood

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 19:51

Join or Login to Reply
Message 20 of 20 in Discussion

Many years ago as a Building Society Manager, I was told, never resist an attempted robbery, always fill the bags with money but try to put in the smallest denominations. I told them of course I would, but if anyone ever tried to take my handbag in the course of the robbery, God help them.

Thankfully, I was neer put to the test.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.