North Cyprus Tourist Board - Mobile phones. Do they have to be unlocked?
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > Mobile phones. Do they have to be unlocked?

Mobile phones. Do they have to be unlocked?

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

Enrico

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 09:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 6 in Discussion

We have friends coming out in a few days and they want to know if they have to bring an unlocked phone, or can they just buy a local sim card and put that in to be able to use the phone

Lennythelion

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 09:30

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 6 in Discussion

You can use your phone if you contact your network (o2-3-vodafone-tesco ) and have the roaming swiched on.

But i always buy a sim card and all the phones i have are unblocked it will work out cheaper to take a unblocked phone

Pugwash

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 09:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 6 in Discussion

Roaming from UK is very expensive unless you will only use the phone for emergencies, pay as you go sim's here are cheap and a better option.

breezyboy

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 12:26

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 6 in Discussion

I understand that you can now buy a dual sim phone in TRNC so that you can use both UK and TRNC phones and receive calls on both. Sorry I was told where to buy these but cannot remeber where.

Pugwash

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 12:40

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 6 in Discussion

Most phone shop will have at least one dual sim phone, mine is a Samsung

erolz

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 12:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 6 in Discussion

Most, but not all,mobile phones in the UK are locked to a specific provider and will not work directly (that is not as roaming) on any other network that the one they are locked too, including the TRNC networks. Your UK network provider may give you the codes to unlock the phone, for free, for a charge or not at all depending on exactly what kind of deal you got the phone with. For example if you got a 500 pound phone for 'free' based on a 2 year contract with a fixed monthly call plan of 50 pounds per month and wanted to unlock it in month one of that contract, most operators would refuse to do so. However you can also get most phones unlocked by third parties for a fee depending on the phone, either here or in the UK.

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.