North Cyprus Tourist Board - BALDWIN, fifth Bishop of Famagusta, must be remembered this year
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > BALDWIN, fifth Bishop of Famagusta, must be remembered this year

BALDWIN, fifth Bishop of Famagusta, must be remembered this year

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Read about Famagusta town North Cyprus

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
06/05/2011 21:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 9 in Discussion

During my walks with hundreds of (mainly) Brits in Famagusta I've never failed to stop and point at probably the oldest medieval French inscripted text on a church wall in Cyprus. In 1311, 700 years ago in August this year, bishop Baldwin (French: Bauduin) was able to set up the still singularly well preserved inscription recording the progress of the building at that date which may be read at the side of the south nave door...

All details, click the link: ▶ [ http://is.gd/FvQ2tj/legacy_of_bishop_baldwin ].

negativenick

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 07:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 9 in Discussion

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

iffytimes

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 09:00

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 9 in Discussion

most interesting tours mr.Hans

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 09:56

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 9 in Discussion

@ msg 2, NN: Thank you once more for your intelligent comment on the subject of this thread. I'm sure other interested people will also read it with admiration. Your knowledge, in particular about Cyprus and its history, never fails to amaze us.

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 10:02

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 9 in Discussion

There will be two more historic Famagusta Walks this month (only a few places left) and then it's all over.

Check here for info and reservations:

Famagusta Walk: ▶ [ http://is.gd/KbWly7/Info_about_the_Famagusta_Walk ].

Overview Historic Walks and Talks: ▶ [ http://is.gd/i5FGL/Program_of_MCF_Walks_and_Talks ].

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 12:36

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 9 in Discussion

Re : Msg 1,

Dear DC,

What amazes me , is how one person could possibly know so much! And this unbelievable attention to detail! As with the inscription above, it is difficult to spot it , let alone to find any information about it; but not only you know everything about it, you actually went to great lengths to translate it from Medieval French!

I visited Reims Cathedral many times – and even there with their hundreds of researches and historians no one goes to such details.

Your work is amazing!

In deep admiration,

Clarissa

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 13:14

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 9 in Discussion

@ msg 6, Clarissa2: (...) you actually went to great lengths to translate it from Medieval French! (...)

▶ It's not so difficult... I'm very fortunate to know one of the very few students of medieval French in Europe. He's called David van der Linden, a Dutchman and (lucky me!) the son of a journalist, my former colleague Jacques van der Linden. He has translated regularly for me, including a very interesting text from the time of (medieval French speaking) Richard I Plantagenêt, "The Lion heart" or "the Lionhearted") singing his praise as an outstanding warrior. By the way: this iron Anglo/French King Richard I, conquerer of Cyprus (1191), wrote some lovely poems also!

Clarissa2

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 14:08

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 9 in Discussion

Re : Msg 7,

Ha-ha! I just can imagine how “not so difficult “...

As part of my degree in languages I wrote the thesis based on the Beowulf poem in Old English and the Canterbury Tales in Middle English. Not something I want to repeat now! I dabbed a little in Medieval German - without much success.

Unfortunately won't be able to enjoy Coer de Lion's poetry in its original French and Provençal – so all my respect to David van der Linden!

DutchCrusader

Message Posted:
07/05/2011 17:55

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 9 in Discussion

UPDATE: Only two places left now for this Fridays "Famagusta Walk".

▶ [ http://is.gd/i5FGL/Program_of_MCF_Walks_and_Talks ].

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.