North Cyprus Tourist Board - A question for those who like walking in N Cyprus
North Cyprus
North Cyprus > North Cyprus Forum > A question for those who like walking in N Cyprus

A question for those who like walking in N Cyprus

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Board | Already a member? Login

Popular Posts - List of popular topics discussed on our board.

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.

» Cyprus44 North Cyprus Guide (Over 200 Info Pages)

» Book North Cyprus Hotels and Flights

flossie44

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 09:10

Join or Login to Reply
Message 1 of 14 in Discussion

We are keen walkers and have been using the green book "Walks in N Cyprus" for the last few years. We have the 2009 edition. Recently we have noticed that most of the walks have markers on them, which seem to track the book routes, in part. Some are green and white circles, and others green and white stripes. Does anyone know what these markers mean? Are they connected to our walking book? If not how do we obtain the routes?

We would love to find some new walks so any info would be appreciated.

flossie

waddo

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 09:13

Join or Login to Reply
Message 2 of 14 in Discussion

Flossie, email me for more information.

Lambousa Gordon

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 09:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 3 of 14 in Discussion

I asked this of the mountain sports federation a little ago.

they are route markers and mean the same thing.

Different stencils were given to different persons marking the routes - they don't denote anything particular.

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 10:04

Join or Login to Reply
Message 4 of 14 in Discussion

There is supposed to be detailed information on http://www.northcyprus.cc

I have a leaflet with this information on it. Unfortunately when you look up the website you get this message:

Your Services has been suspended due to payment issue

Nobody seems to be able to help. The princess in the Girne tourist office certainly did not, even though she gave me the leaflet. she said she will find out....mmmmmhhh

I would love to hear if one can get the info elsewhere

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 10:12

Join or Login to Reply
Message 5 of 14 in Discussion

We are keen walkers and there are many routes marked here in Dipkarpaz and in the hills. The small map on the leaflet is too small to be of use, but it does help a little. We have some ordnance survey maps of this area, but not all the footpaths exist anymore. All the markers a a route tested by the group. some of them, the sqare one are for the kyrenia mountain trail, see wwwkyreniamountaintrail.com

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 10:15

Join or Login to Reply
Message 6 of 14 in Discussion

Sorry, I got the web address ending wrong

http://www.kyreniamountaintrail.org

dippersgirl

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 10:19

Join or Login to Reply
Message 7 of 14 in Discussion

Can point you to some good walks here in Dipkarpaz if you are visiting this part of the island.

You may also be interested in the Tractor Safari

Really great experience

Pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/karpazsafari/sets/

Cyprusactive

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 10:58

Join or Login to Reply
Message 8 of 14 in Discussion

The markers are part of an EU funded scheme to promote walking and eco activities in the TRNC to help the economy. They follow part of the Kyrenia Montain Trail which was a great project which did not get official support, no surprise there then! Unfortunately the new project it is poorly promoted and inspite of lots of EU money being spent it is a bit of a failure, indeed the Ministry of Tourism does not even seem to know it exists. However http://www.kyreniamountailtrail.org has some details and there are some first class maps available from Nick Bayley who runs the mountain bike hire at Gecitkoy(near the dam) his email is nick@bayley.biz

flossie44

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 11:24

Join or Login to Reply
Message 9 of 14 in Discussion

Thank you everybody.

I have been into the Web Sites suggested and found some useful info.

We are west of Kyrenia so Dipkarpez is too far for a normal day out. However if we are going out that way dippers girl I will contact you.

flossie

Yudu392

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 11:42

Join or Login to Reply
Message 10 of 14 in Discussion

hi flossie44,

as I know marking the trails is part of Natura 2000 project, and a company won the tender and did these works. But they didn't marked the newest trail in Küçükerenköy where there is a natural tunnel about 60m long. I think they searched the old trails from old books and just marked those trails. I informed some officials in Lefkoşa but later they informed me that the workers of that company has passed the region and they would not come back. It's a pity that one of the best trails will not be in brochures.

laptarunner

Message Posted:
19/05/2011 11:45

Join or Login to Reply
Message 11 of 14 in Discussion

Try the marked walk above Karsiyaka, you can start where the mountain road turns left to go up to the Tank, by the restaurant is. The walk is marked by the white and green spots, it climbs up through the pine woods and comes out on top in some meadows, before dropping down into a number of valleys. We have never walked the total distance, we turned around and walked back to the car.

You can access the other end of the path, from the Sina Monastery above Karsiyaka, follow tarmac road up from village , then take 1st left dirt road ( marked by old wheelbarrow filled with set cement in it) up and keep right as you walk around ruins, you will see a low wall going off to the right, pick up signs there, great walk, a few rock fields to scramble over, but really nice.

Laptarunner

decanddyl

Message Posted:
20/05/2011 12:23

Join or Login to Reply
Message 12 of 14 in Discussion

There's a marked walk from beside Sina Monastery over the mountain you can finnish half way or carry on over the road across a little bridge then over another bit of the mountain which takes you out at the Kozan restaurant it is all marked out with the green and white signs some round some square.

If you wish to use the Kozan restaurant don't go on a Monday as it's closed in the winter months not sure about summer months.

waddo

Message Posted:
20/05/2011 12:52

Join or Login to Reply
Message 13 of 14 in Discussion

Have a care on the Küçükerenköy trail through the tunnel - if you know the route - there are many honey bees setting up home within the tunnel but they are ok so long as you walk slow and are quiet. You will need to take a torch as there is a bend in the tunnel as well.

Yudu392

Message Posted:
21/05/2011 23:09

Join or Login to Reply
Message 14 of 14 in Discussion

hi waddo,

After last group walking, a villager heard about bees and wanted to collect them, when he returned he said that they were not honey bees, may be some other kind of bees or flies. I was surprised when I heard about them because I have walked several times and passed this tunnel but never saw them before. May be I didn't walked at this season. I think no one wants to kill them by insecticides to use this tunnel. Walkers are friends of nature and the nature belongs to them, be calm and just walk slowly and be quiet while passing the tunnel as you said.

regards

North Cyprus Forums Homepage

Join Cyprus44 Forums | Already a member? Login

You must be a member and logged in, to post replies and new topics.